MIL meeting with a marine rep tomorrow OT, advice?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wufei, Mar 25, 2007.

1. wufei

wufei New Member

i guess in the end i want to know how do i get the idea across that i want to serve but i dont want to risk my life in front line combat. im in college right now and i figure if i do join it would most likely only be for an officer posistion. experiences? advice? flames? thanks barracks. :)

2. wufei

wufei New Member

i mean, they've got to have SOME noncombat posistions where you can still be useful :hs:

3. USMC7684

USMC7684 Well-Known Member

I don't know the specifics but I believe almost all officers in the Marine Corps have to serve some time with an infantry unit.

4. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Not really.

Every MOS in the Marine Corps is infantry or directly supporting the infantry. A lot of Admin people stay in the rear, but then again, many go. It would be a gamble.

You'll end up in Iraq.

Plus, you wouldn't like the Marines with your "I don't want to take the chance of dying" mentality anyways. Try any of the other branches, it will fit you more. No offense.

5. wufei

wufei New Member

thanks for the advice so far :wavey:

6. USMC7684

USMC7684 Well-Known Member

Yea, the " I don't want to see combat attitude" isn't really accepted by anyone in the Corps. One of the first things you are taught at boot camp is "Every Marine is a rifleman first", meaning regardless of your MOS you are trained to be a basic infantryman first. Also every MOS is deployable, and in Iraq it doesn't matter if your in the infantry or not, combat finds you.

7. s3rca

s3rca New Member

like everyone else said a marine is a riflemen first over anything else

8. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

Every Marine is a rifleman, every Marine officer receives training to be a provisional rifle platoon commander (an 0302 gets a hell of a lot more training though).

If you are going to see an enlisted recruiter to ask about becoming an officer, I would be very cautious with the answers he provides. If you want to become an officer, speak with an Officer Selection Officer. Go to www.marineofficer.com if you don't know where to find one.

And yeah, you'll end up in Iraq.