MIL Meeting an army recruiter next week

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Spike2k, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Spike2k

Spike2k New Member

I turn 23 tomorrow and recently have been looking at my life and felt like i've been missing something. So i've been looking into the army and the air force reserves. I feel like I need to be part of something, and this could be it. I also think that joining would help discipline me some, possibly make me more patient and hopefully open up a world of new opportunity.

I haven't told my family any of this yet, but i'm thinking of telling them soon. The only person in my family with military experience is my grandpa, so I'm not sure on how the mom and dad are going to take this, but they are open minded and will support. (i hope)

Is there anything I should know before I do take a serious turn in my life?

I'm now in the process of reading the joining the military FAQ

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Approach the recruiter the same way you would approach a salesman. He has his own agenda, which may or may not include getting you the job/bonus/etc that you want.

See this post for an example of how to deal with a recruiter that won't work with you: http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=96086534&postcount=10

You can improve your ASVAB scores by taking the practice test here: www.military.com/asvab

Post any specific questions you have here. Also, let us know if there's anything that the recruiter says that you aren't sure about.

3. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

look through the MOSs they have, research the ones that sound good to you. go to the recruiter with a good idea of what you want

4. armond

armond New Member

Definitely look at that practice ASVAB. A lot of the technical stuff blew my mind, mostly because my life has not exactly been incorporated with that type of stuff.

Ask lots of questions! Also, just because a recruiter tells you it is going to happen, it won't unless you have it on that final contract you sign!

Oh and congrats on thinking of joining the armed forces.