SRS Meds are effecting my work, my life

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jadey, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Jadey

Jadey Guest

I take 75mg Effexor a day. It's not a huge dose, but I am experiencing so many side effects, I really want to reduce it. I don't want to go off- the Effexor has really treated my depression/anxiety well. I want to treat the disease, but I also want to live my life. My common side effects:
    • Fatigue (I am ALWAYS tired. I can sleep for 14+ hours if left alone)
    • Yawning a lot
    • Sex drive went from awesome to meh
    • Concentration is poor- I often have to re-read things to understand
    • Forgetful
    • Dizzy
    I've taken the medicine for 2 years now, and these symptoms aren't going away.

So recently, my boss tells me that I am not performing so well at work- specifically that I am not concentrating/forgetting. I know this is because of my drugs. I am frustrated with these symptoms more than he is. My decision is to have my doctor help me reduce my prescription. But... my appointment is in August. How do I communicate to my boss now what the problem is? I have been burned before by telling a boss about my condition. I try & keep this private because of the insane amount of stigma around the disease- my family doesn't even know.

Still, there's a legitimate, medical reason for these problems that I want to take steps. And, I want the chance to keep my job and not be treated like some freak at work. How do I tell him what the issue is?

2. Cronin

Cronin New Member

I guess they're affecting your spelling too :dunno:

But on a serious note; you've been having these symptoms for two years? What does your Doctor say? Are there any alternative medications you can try?

3. Jadey

Jadey Guest

I guess I'll find out in August when I have my appointment.

4. Cronin

Cronin New Member

You have to wait until August!? Have you had symptoms for two years? Who are you seeing your GP? You can't call the office and be like "wtf my boss will fire me I need to see the Doctor within the next couple of weeks."

5. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

Effexor can be one of the more intense meds with side effects. I used to take it; now I'm on Lexapro, and it does a bit better of a job, though I'm still pretty tired most of the time. The sexual side effects definitely aren't as bad.

6. Liquid_Vitamins

Liquid_Vitamins New Member

Why wait until August? Make an appointment for now, if the office gives you the runaround tell them flat out that you need to see the doctor because your meds are affecting you to the point of comprising your job. On another note, if you're on the Effexor for depression a lot of the side effects you list are also depression symptoms too. Maybe it just doesn't work at all.

7. Jadey

Jadey Guest

I live in a community with a doctor shortage... Once it took me a year to get an appointment :(

But.. I did tell my boss today. I was really happy I did. I was pretty upset telling him (I have a very hard time talking about this still) but he was SO supportive and told me his family has these issues also and he isn't judging me in any way. He told me about a multitude of support systems at work for me and told me he supported me and will accommodate however he can. I am SO relieved. I have been burned before telling a boss this. I'm grateful I have one now that understands. I feel like a weight has lifted.

So, work is going to help out and I just have to get to see my doctor to change my med level ASAP. I want to get more than just my work life back :)

8. Liquid_Vitamins

Liquid_Vitamins New Member

It's good that your boss was understanding about the situation and impressive that you went to him about it. If you can't get in to see the doc can you at least talk to a triage nurse or something on the phone?

9. Cronin

Cronin New Member

I had to travel to MA to see my doctor... but I did it :dunno:

Health > Money :hsd:

10. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

dude, there are so many SSRIs out there, try a different one