SRS Meditation

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Tills, May 21, 2005.

1. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

Does anyone here meditate? I am starting to look into this more and more. I am the typical Type A personality and i think I would be able to benifit from some sort of stress management skills and meditation techniques.

I've heard yoga is good but I alwawys thought it was a workout program :dunno:

Thoughts?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

3. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

I was looking for something a little less advanced

4. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

5. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

6. :smile:

:smile: New Member

there are different types of yoga, yes it's kind of a workout program but can/will help for stress. Yoga is awesome, i worked at a place & got free classes, best thing i ever did for myself

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yes, I meditate. Yes, it is a critical component of my mental health regime. In fact, in three weeks I am going to Dharmasala, where the Dalai Lama hangs his hat, to go to a 10 day complete silence, meditation retreat.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

www.sikhara.dhamma.org/

I need this course. I have just applied for this course. They do them all over the world, and they are based on donations only: and only if you complete the 10 days. That says good things to me. Try one. You can spare 10 days for peace of mind.

9. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

10. Darketernal

Reiki is another interesting form of meditation. :)

11. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

I have been to one of there ten day retreats. They are great! I learned more in thoese ten days then I had in the previous 6 years of meditation practice. Let me know if you want to talk about it when you get back. Sorry, but I wont talk about it to anybody who hasn't gone. The reason is because it takes the entire 10 days to fully teach the tecnique, and I would be cheating you if I tried to explain it. But I can highly recommend it to anybody who is interested in meditation.

Shoot me up Peyomp :wiggle:

12. nebulous

As much as I love your posts Dark Eternal, I have to disagree that astral projection is the pinicle of meditation practice. In fact I would go so far as to say that it is not even a form of meditation. I have experianced it myself, and I know it takes a certain amount of concentration to initiate the process, but its goals and effects are totally different than most forms of meditation. Then again, there are many differnt kinds of meditation with different goals in mind, so it just depends on what you are looking for.

If all you are looking for is to reduce stress, you should try running in addition to your meditation. Being healthy will do alot to reduce your stress.

13. SolShinobi

SolShinobi New Member

Meditation is awsome. It strenghtens mental focus and brings harmony to the soul.

14. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I tried it a few times and fell asleep.

I'm doing it wrong.......

15. Darketernal

Well then i'l have to disagree that you disagree with me. :naughty:

A complete status of relaxation is needed in order to perform the astral travel. You know in terms of satisfaction i found that meditation would give relaxation , however to connect an astral achievement with your meditation gives far more forfillment. Why go for a mediocore experience if you could take it all?

Relaxation (thru meditation(for the sake of the discussion)) is the first prequisite for astral travel, and to bring yourself into a state of meditation immediatly gives an overview of how succesfull your meditation is, succesfull meditation would more likely lead into succesfull astral travel. :angel: and the things you can experience with astral travel can be the summit of meditation, because if you are able to build a bridge between this and the astral world is quite an achievement :).

16. nebulous

I my view, meditation has a higher goal that simple relaxation and enjoyment. The success of meditation cant be quantified with relaxation. The purpose of meditation is to gain wisdom, not enjoyment. Relaxation, is not necessary to gain the wisdom. What is necessary is that you understand the reality of your body as it it. That could be in a state of relaxation, but it also could be in a tense state, in a hot or cold state, in an agitated state, or calm state, etc.

I do, of course admit that complete relaxation is required for astra travel, and that can be achieved through meditation. But meditation as I have learned it (From the Buddhist school of thought) has no goal other than itself. If you are trying to get someplace else, then its not meditation. In Buddhist meditation, your goal is to end the suffering of your mind caused by desire through meditation by extinguishing desire. How can it be meditation if you are spending the whole time desiring to be some place other then simply observing your body?

of course this is from the perspective of only one kiond of meditation. But in this kind, the pinicle is the end of suffering, not astral projection which can only hope to give you some neat or plesurable experiances as best, but no true wisdom. Knowledge of another plane of existence yes, wisdom, no.

Im not saying Astral travel is bad. Its fine :) It jsut isnt the goal of most kinds of meditation.

17. AO

AO New Member

Have you tried exercise instead? Do you presently exercise for at least one hour a day, every day of the year?

The Type A is all mental, no? You can relax the mind through physical exercision. It's one reason why we need to get rid of sexual energy. When you get past a certain physical exercision level, then go into meditation.

18. johan

johan Active Member

I am so jealous.

19. Darketernal

The astral plains contain more wisdome then you can find on earth :sad2:, I think that meditation itself is a desire too, and that the buddisth interpretation of ending suffering that is caused by desire is flawed toward the aspect of the desire to do good. While the buddisth interpretation is limited to end the desire of suffering to mankind which is good and i do not condemn, i must say that in my personal experience the wisdome that can be gained on the astral plains exceeds those of the still more earth bounded buddisth method as in the astral plains all knowledge and wisdome comes together, i strongly belief that there is more spiritual benefit to be gained when visiting the astral plains.

20. nebulous

Hmmm. I think we are using different definitions, for the same words, and that this might lie at the root of our disagreement. For instance, my definition for wisdom, is not the same as knowledge of "Information." Thats only facts. Going to another plane, doesnt inherantly give you the wisdom. All it does is give you the knowledge of that reality. Wisdom is gained, when you understand that knowledge. Simply experiancing it, is not enough. Thats why its not necessary to astrally project to gain wisdom, because you can just as easily penetrate the truth about this reality. Or is the Astral plane easier to understand than the material plane? My opinion is that it isnt any easier.

Meditation is not a desire. The act of Buddhist meditation, is simply paying attention to what is, and not labeling it good or bad. It is the opposite of a desire. paying attention, is what allows you to understand the reality of your body. That understanding, is what leads to the wisdom. But your not looking for wisdom, your just paying attention. It sounds like your understanding of Buddhist meditational techniques might be somewhat limited. I hope you dont take that offensively, i dont mean it to be. Its just that you need a qualified teacher and a few years of dedicated practice before should talk about whether or not the method is flawed.

Where you get the information from is irrelavant. It is your ability to see it as it is (to correctly understand it), that gives you wisdom. It doesnt matter if you are experianceing every day life, or percieving the astral plane. Its your same mind taking in information, and evaluating it according to the same limitations. Deal with the limitations, not the location.

21. Darketernal

I think that both of us are on a different frequency but actually are trying to tell the same thing. Every individual has different spiritual needs that can be on a different level. I gues that Tills has to find out on what level he is, and what kind of type of meditation he requires for himself. This is done thru experimenting and trying out all the different kinds of meditation that are out there, im sure that if he progresses and has forfilled one type of meditation that he could move on to the next. Wether that is here in this reality or on the astral plains is really up to him.

22. nebulous

Werd. I agree totally

23. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

I exercise about 3 times a week for about an hour and my goal is 5 times a week by September.

I am not sure if Type A is all mental?? is it? :dunno: I want to "discover myself" if that means anything. I feel as though that someone else has been living my life and I have just been along for the ride.

As far as sexual energy do you mean acting on our drive to have sex or do you mean having the ability to "control" our sex drive?

24. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

That same organization does these exact same retreats worldwide. There are two in the U.S., in California and Texas I think... and there are certainly some in Canukistan. Check it out :)

25. Ditto