A&P Medical/Scientific photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by matkustaja, Jul 3, 2007.

1. matkustaja

matkustaja New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    So does anyone know anything about these?

For instance how much you'd earn, what the job invloves, what study is required

I've seen 3 year degrees, but would you need to present a portfolio beforehand?

I'm looking at a career change :o
  2. natelam

natelam New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    I do quite a bit of medical/scientific photography, and it is an incredible niche market that is untapped in terms of creative work. The new trend is away from the "scientific" photography with flat lighting for documentation (typically ring flash) that is often used in publication to more creative and dramatic lighting that can be used dual purpose for marketing new procedures and stock.

How much do you earn? Varies with your niche, how good you are, and how much your clients are wililng to pay.

What does it involve? I typically travel 1-2x a week to different hospitals, universities, and practices around the CUSA either for a specific groundbreaking procedure or for a full day of scheduled shooting.

It's best to have a background in biological sciences, or even better - medicine. In a year I'll have a DVM, so it's put me in a unique position to gain an "in" and market myself. The DVM is "doctor of veterinary medicine", requires 4 years B.S or B.A., masters preferred, and 4 years of DVM school. I don't think you need to be a doctor to do medical photography, but it will get you in the door and make you very highly demanded for your craft.

Hope that helps. -N