SRS Medical question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Crawling Dead, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Ok. I'd like to start by saying I am well aware most of you are probably not doctors, so, whatever advice you give, im treating it like unprofessional dvice, and I'm just looking for opinions.

So today I woke up with sinus problems, which I blamed on alergies. I'm not overly sensative to nature, but when pollen counts get high, like they were today in my area, then I start to feel it. Anyway. I've head a bit of a congested head, I started sneezing at about 11 PM and just not I started coughing out blood from my throat. The time now is 2 AM.

Now, those are my symptons. I should state now that I've been a smoker for about four years, two packs a week for the first 3 years, about pack a day the past 5 months. Now, recently in an attempt to both save money and cut my smoking habbit down, I switched from smoking cigarettes to smoking pipe.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible that my symptons today could be caused by pipe smoking. I made the switch less than a week ago. I wasnt sure if there are any different health risks to smoking a pipe as compared to a cigarette.

I'm about a month away from getting insurance through work, so unless im vommitting up buckets of blood, im not seeing a doctor.

Any thoughts?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Caughing up blood is in a lot of cases a very bad sign and even tho you do not consider us as doctors we are not stupid either, the logical and recommended action and advice would be to goto a hospital immediatly.

Symptoms of blood coughin can be related to the following diseases.

Blood clot in the lung
    Bronchiectasis
    Bronchitis
    Cancer
    Cystic fibrosis
    Goodpasture's syndrome
    Inflammation of the blood vessels in the lung (vasculitis)
    Inhaling blood into the lungs (pulmonary aspiration)
    Irritation of the throat from violent coughing
    Nosebleed that drips blood down into the lungs
    Laryngitis
    Pneumonia
    Pulmonary edema
    Systemic lupus erythematosus
    Tuberculosis

However since you have no health insurance you are in a tricky situation at the moment.

http://www.ucomparehealthcare.com/ is a website that could find you a free doctor in your area, http://coldflu.about.com/gi/dynamic...://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/international/relres.html is a place where you hopefully can find a health department in your area, but also you could try a Walk-in Clinic , http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/

Of course quit smoking is the most recommended action for you after seeing a doctor, smoking is related to tons of respitory diseases and cancer inducing substances, another question is if the blood coughin was an isolated incident or is it on-going for a couple of days now? I really hope you can find a free clinic or doctor in your area, otherwhise you need to sing it out for an entire month. :hsd:

3. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

Its new. Shortly after starting this thread I took a break to go look at a mirrow. I noticed my right tonsil (sp?) was enflamed while my left one looked smaller than normall, but had a long bloody cut going up it. The bleeding has stopped since then but I am still concerned that it may be Bronchitis or Strep.

And I didnt mean to call you idiots, not at all. i know the people who come here arent idiots, but I wanted to avoid any "What do I look like? A doctor?" Posts

4. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

It could be anything. Coughing up blood is a problem, but the injury could be in the throat/mouth too. It could be significant, it might not. Only objective observation can answer your question.

5. barnfly

barnfly New Member

The irritated tonsils should be looked at by a professional. If strep is present, it should be handled very seriously. A consideration with the pipe is increased heat and no filtration. Tobacco can harvest a wide range of bacteria. The lack of filtration will allow a much higher level of tar and other toxins pass down your throat. Ask your doctor about the latest medical treatments to stop smoking. I quit 5-1/2 years ago and it is the best thing I ever did. As I tell many people, it's not that food is so much better tasting after you quit smoking, it's the fact you can afford better food. Best wishes!

6. johan

johan Active Member

A week's worth of pipe smoking isn't likely to produce bloody sputum. Especially since you've a couple years of cigarette smoking already.

Go to a walk-in clinic, or make a visit to a doctor's office.

Advise them that you have limited resources and will be paying cash.

A doctor's visit will cost you between $35 and $75 depending on your area.

That's it.

Don't go to the ER -- it's not necessary.

Putting this off will be more costly in the long run. Unless you're not planning to recover from this.

You know what I mean, yes?