WEB MediaTemple soft quota limit FTL

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by themolsen, Nov 18, 2008.

1. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Just venting...

My company's site is hosted on their shared server hosting plan. We have 2gb total disk space and we only have about 400mb free. Well apparently, that's the point at which the "soft quota limit" is engaged and all these errors get thrown up in my site. JS errors, I can't log in to the back-end, can't edit half the db tables - all kinds of stupid crap that doesn't make any sense.

So I called up support and they explained the situation and removed the soft limit... SUPPOSEDLY. This was a week and a half ago.

Today, THE SAME SHIT happens again, but this time not even half the site would load.

So I called up, fuming, wondering WHY the hell this is happening when I'm more than half a gig away from my actual hard limit.

"Why can't you send a warning or a notification rather than completely crippling the site of a long-time customer that hasn't ACTUALLY hit their limit yet?"

So they "moved" the soft limit to some other number that we'll probably hit in a day or so lol.

We're getting ready to migrate to their grid server package because it's the same price plus 3 more gigs of storage, and I said "I can't do this move until later in the week...so it would be really nice if our Web site actually worked until then" We've never had issues with (mt) before this...

So :hsugh::ugh::mamoru: and :squint:

2. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

Just venting...

having your mission critical shit hosted on a shared service is just as stupid as their 'soft quotas'

3. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:o

4. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I wouldn't say it's anything "mission critical"... we're a small non profit org...we can't afford a dedicated or dv hosting package... thanks though... :hsugh: and I don't see why it's stupid to have it on a shared server... uptime is really good and we don't need that much bandwidth
    I don't know. the hosting was set up years before I started working there. at the time, it was a custom thing...you got to choose your disk space and bandwidth. someone made a poor choice lol :mamoru: but for $7 bucks a month.. :dunno: the grid package is now 100gigs, but it's way overpriced so we have a deal for a stripped down one for our current price

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  5. DnA02

DnA02 Hey, how YOU doin?! OT Supporter

shit host bro.

6. themolsen

themolsen New Member

apparently :dunno:. they've been great for the past few years, but recently....:hs:

7. terrycm

terrycm New Member

I use media temple, they are not a shit host... but don't take my word for it look at their client list. Check out their alexa ranking and just about any other factor you can imagine. I would find out if you can upgrade your grid account because you will find that package gives you...
    • 100GB premium storage
    • 1TB network transfer
    • Host up to 100 domains
    • 1000 email accounts
    • Clustered architecture
    • Rails & Django Containers
    • MySQL SmartPool v.2
    • FREE Urchin Analytics

8. Die Antwoord

Die Antwoord New Member

If you can't afford to have any downtime, then you shouldn't be on shared.

9. DnA02

DnA02 Hey, how YOU doin?! OT Supporter

hostgator is half the price for shared hosting for what you posted, actually they provide more or at least state more. example is unlimited domains. i could be wrong on media temple being a shit host but TS info makes MT sound like a shitty host

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  10. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

you think the clients they boast are hosted on the same servers you are? :rofl:

11. themolsen

themolsen New Member

wtf (mt) staff trying to avoid bad publicity?

12. terrycm

terrycm New Member

I'm not mt staff, and of course those clients are not on a grid server, but don't be ignorant there is a reason why those companies choose MT. You don't have to belive me that they are a great host provider, but I can assure you they are not shit. Also since when does cheaper = better? You could buy a Hyundia or a BMW, both get you to the same place but I would hardley call them equal. Just my opinion I used webair for 4 years and moved to MT even though they were far more expensive because of the service and admin controlls.

Best Regards,
    Terry

13. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

mt reseller?

Regards,
    kingtoad

14. terrycm

terrycm New Member

Nope, I'm not a reseller just a guy who uses them for my website. There are alot of hosts out there and most of them are probably cheaper and for alot of people that exactly what they are looking for. That being said cheap hosting comes at a cost, just like in any service or product. I just wanted to chime in because I have had an A+ experience with these guys, which is why I was shocked that Themolsen hadn't.

Best Regards,
    Terry

15. themolsen

themolsen New Member

it's just this one situation that has disappointed me a bit. otherwise, like I said before, we haven't had any problems. in fact, their customer service has been stellar. :dunno:

16. Ender0910

Ender0910 woot!

Just throwing my cents in but we use MediaTemple and haven't had any issues with them.

We are on their DV plan, though, using about 1.5 TB/month.

17. themolsen

themolsen New Member

lol my supervisor informed me today that we have a pro (gs) account already set up for one of our international initiatives. So I'm in the process of moving our main site to that server. 100gigs storage, 11ty billion times the transfer we need, and we'll save $7 a month :rofl:

I'm glad I didn't migrate to a new (gs) before I found this out... some people just don't communicate stuff....