Media Center as an OS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Bastard, Dec 9, 2004.

1. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

Anyone running Media Center as their OS? I'm thinking of trying it out and have obtained a copy of 2005, to my astonishment, it's just an add onto XP. Id like to get some sense this won't be done in haste and have to format and reinstall again.

Some impressions of it from actual users with hands on experience would be nice.

Thanks

2. DemisE

DemisE Active Member

Why would you want MC over say XP Pro?

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Especially when MCE IS XP PRO with some features disabled anyway. Media Center is just a big application that runs on top of XP. If you don't have a HTPC (Home Theater PC) then it makes no sense to run it. You have to have an Hardware-MPEG TV Tuner, a DirectX9 Video card, and special drivers for them.

As an aside, Windows XP MCE and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition are the same product. What gets installed depends on what CD Key you put in during setup. If you look at CD 2, you can see the seperate MCE and Tablet applications.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I run MCE2k5 as my primary OS... of course, I've got a P4 550, 6600GT, and an NVTV MCE tuner, so that's no problem for my system.

overall, it's 100% like XPPro, but can't connect to a domain controller.

Did you "obtain" it legally? Because I gotta tell you, it's the remote that makes it worth it...