MIL med question v. exercise induced asthma

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by raand, Jan 14, 2009.

1. raand

raand New Member

I have been enlisted in the Army National Guard for 5 years now and recently I have been noticing a lot of mucus build up while I run. I asked a doctor about this and he said it could be one of a couple of things Exercise Induced Asthma or Allergies. So I tried an over the counter allergy medicine and it did not seem to help with the build up while running. So I did some online research and found that EIA is caused by the change in the dryness or coldness of the air we breath in through our mouths while running. So I am beginning to think I may have a mild case of this.

If this is true would I be kicked out of the military for a diagnoses of EIA?

Or is it possible to get a medical waiver with something like EIA?

2. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

There are two guys in our squad (National Guard and deployed) that have EIA and they pretty much have a permanant profile for it to run at their own pass. When it comes to the run part of the APFT they have to do one of the run substitutes like the walk, swim, or bike.

3. raand

raand New Member

I could probably still do the run and not have a profile, I mean I can do it now, it is just uncomfortable and I have to spit a lot. Either of them use an inhaler?

4. Cheerio

Cheerio New Member

The doctor gave them both one, I personally dont ever see them use it so I dont know how much it helps or not

5. If you have EIA you can easily over come it by learning to control your breathing and not freaking out when you are thinking you can't breath. I'll never admit to having it but IF I did I would breath through my nose while I run and control my heart rate.

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I spit like it's going out of style when I run. :mamoru:

dot

7. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

IN on this too. I get really weezy coming in from a run. Is this normal if you're out of shape?

8. raand

raand New Member

yah, this has been my normal method of dealing with it, but you have to admit it is annoying as hell, and I would probably be able to run better without it. My wife thinks it is disgusting, I just tell her it is what happens when I run and she says you need to see a doctor and so on.... but I think I am going to just continue to ignore it I dont want to have to deal with the waiver BS and so on.