GUN Mechanically, what is the difference between semi-auto and full auto rifles?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Allmotor, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Allmotor

Allmotor Guest

:confused:

I've always been curious about this.

And could you convert say a semi automatic AR-15 (post-ban, im guessing) or AK to a full auto weapon (obviously less than legally)?

2. Infrastructure

Infrastructure New Member

Yes you can convert an AR-15 or AK to fully auto, although it is highly illegal. If I remember correctly from my marine corps days...all you need to do is a little modification to the sere group. Or maybe I am wrong...

3. Count Grishnackh

Count Grishnackh Three weeds from the same root

4. Allmotor

Allmotor Guest

Let me reitterate, my main question is about the mechanical differences between the two. I don't want to get anyone in trouble here ;).

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

As both the civilian AR and the AK are semi-automatic versions of a military select fire weapon, yes, it is a small matter to exchange parts from military weapons to convert civilian weapons. The parts needed to perform such a conversion quite obviously require an NFA tax stamp to purchase due to the restricted nature of automatic weapons.

There are minor differences in the fire control group (springs, hammer, connectors, and sear) which would all need replacing for a reliable conversion. The parts that come in a civilian semi could really only be made to work with some machine-tooling experience and equipment. Minor work yes, but not something you could do with a hammer and screw driver. The "5 minute garage conversion" is a pretty big media myth.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

on an AR, the disconnector, autosear, hammer, and a few other parts are different. you can go to bushmaster's site and find the parts. it's illegal to put them in a non-NFA weapon. even one part, whether it makes the rifle capable of select-fire or not.

7. Guido

Guido Guest

Just so everyone knows there is absolutely nothing illegal about information on how to convert to full auto. While the second amendment has been hacked up, the first is still in place.

(The only illegal part would be when you actually convert a weapon to full-auto. The info itself on how to do it is not illegal.)

8. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

i was looking at my ar lats night. and i think if you just shave off the little hook on the auto shear you can make it go full auto. but im not about to do that on a $1100 gun. lol

9. footratfunkface

you just spent too much on your rifle, that's all. and i'm not about to do it to any rifle, because my anal virginity is worth more than any rifle. not a big fan of felonies and their resulting punishments.

10. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

i got a colt match target hbar. worth every penny to me

11. footratfunkface

you could nearly get a preban bushmaster for that price.

12. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

well i dont like bushmasters, or i woulda done it

13. footratfunkface

ok...i'm sure there's a logical reason why you don't like them...

14. Furner

Furner New Member

:dunno:

15. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

its nothing against them. id rather have a colt.

16. just shaving the sear won't work there is timing involved in order for it to fire correctlyon a closed bolt system such as a ar-15 or ak-47.the hammer would just follow the bolt after the first round...the only weapons that this "shaving" can be done and work correctly is on an open bolt system. such as a rpb or ingram mac series open bolt pistol.alot of ak's such as romanian or egyptian have a sear pin mark on them, it is the 3rd x or kinda Y looking thing....however the ar-15's can be done with a auto sear, thanks to the inventor wayne daniels oh and a lightning link aswell..but owning any of the 2 is, infact a nfa weapon at that...thats rite just one part and by by for 10 years and a 10g fine for tax evation....don't forget tho you can infact own a class 3 weapon in 21 states....i my self have had well over 15 class 3 weapons....but money always talks..and a m16 isn't really worth 7 grand to me any more...so now i just play with my silencers now and be content...nothing like sitting around shooting 22's into phone books in my house....lol if anyone needs advise on how to own a class 3 i can can give some insite on how to do it in a legal way....but it takes lots of money to own one and a long wait with lots of red tape....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2003
  17. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

how much money?

18. kellyclan

Holy run on sentence batman. :eek3:

The only civilian legal full autos in the US were made before 1986. Anything made after that is LE/Mil only. (Research "Firearms Owners Protection Act 1986")

So just like the preban/postban 1994 assault weapons, pre-86 transferable autos bring big money.

Cheap Mac-10s start around $1500 and a M16 would be a steal at $7000. A MP5, you can expect to see $10,000+ pricetags.

19. pretty much says it...except a mini gun is about 125,000$
    GE we bring good things to life....

20. Guido

Guido Guest

Isn't that a freaking joke!? It pisses me off that we have to pay these outrageous prices to play full auto legally while criminals just go and buy full-autos on the black market or convert semis for a FRACTION of the cost of doing it legal.

21. kellyclan

Indeed. :rant2:

But i'm pretty sure we're preaching to the choir, i'd bet most of the people coming through here realize laws controlling arms only affect those already inclined to obey the law in the first place.

22. you got that rite....i liked the idea of alot of money vs. a few weapons..
    i had about 15,000 in about 5 weapons...sold them and ended up with about 22,000....and good models to learn from....of course uncle sam now knows who i am,what i look like,and my prints...but goto jail one time and they do the same. so oh well..

23. footratfunkface

the IRS knows you now, not the gummint in general. they're tax documents, and now that the ATF is sep'rated from the IRS and the treasuriyiyiy departamento, they can't get the documents without a warrant. same for local law enforcement. but, without the documents, how could they know to get a warrant? you're pretty safe, as long as due process is followed. and in my area, $7-9K is the going rate for an M16A1 reciever. my friend got his first one for $5600 less than a year ago, and the second one for right around that a little later. however, MP5's are, like stated, going at around 10-15K. you'd think the damn things were solid gold or something. and yeah, if you get a good deal, you can turn it over for some good profits. prices only go up at this point, so it's sort of an investment if you don't shoot it too often. he bought an M16A2 reciever for like 9K, because it was part of a cutaway rifle. everyone thought the reciever was cut too, so nobody bought it. wayne did, and sold it for like 20K. profit=good.