Meal Replacement Bar/ RTD Shake

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by N-Word-Jim, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

Hey,

In an effort to maintain my cut and muscle mass over the next few months during a very difficult schedule I'm only going to have time to consume these for a large portion of the day (basically I can have normal breakfast and normal late dinner/before bed meal) and will have less than 2 minutes to retrieve/consume RTDs during other times.

I don't care about cost for the most part, but I want something with a nice macro ratio.

I debated just getting muscle milk RTDs, but I'd rather lower the carbs/fat if possible. I'll just drink more to maintain calories.

My target calorie intake is 2000/day roughly and my breakfast will be 500kcal and dinner/before bed will be 500-800 calories.

NO SOY!

Cliffs: point me to your favorite meal bar/RTD shake

2. N-Word-Jim

And before you ask, I likely will not have time to work out during the week and may be limited to Saturday/Sunday. I'm running a couple of very time constrained construction projects totaling over $2mil

3. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

When I was in a similar situation I took a powerbar wherever I went as well as detour bars.

And I know you don't want soy, but slim fasts really helped me in the mornings when I had no time to eat before work/class. I actually put one in a shaker, added a scoop of chocolate whey, and drank it on my way to work/class

4. N-Word-Jim

Thanks, so far I'd say those don't make the cut, muscle milk > them

5. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Yeah but they were too expensive for me to have every day (Target had a great sale on Slim Fasts and I just bought a million that month)

6. N-Word-Jim

yep, but like I said... price doesn't matter. Single at $500 a day, I can afford whatever shake I want.

7. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

buy a bunch of the pure protein RTD's they are good. also their bars dont have soy in them and taste really good

8. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Well as far as taste you will not get better than Muscle Milk RTD. I used them PWO for a couple weeks in the summer (when some place had them on ridiculous sale). A real treat as far as PWO shakes go.

I'd normally tell you to stick with them, but it will make your cut more difficult.

In the morning there's nothing better than real solid foor for me, and lunch I'll take a bar/shake so I don't crash in the afternoon. If you have ANY time whatsoever on say a Sunday night, I'd make a ton of grilled chicken and broccoli/rice, then put them in gladware for the week. Top that off with some almonds and you've actually got a great cut meal there.

If I had to recommend anything, I'd do the chicken/broc in the morning, shake for lunch, chicken/broc again later on. Obviously steak/tuna/turkey can be subbed in as well.

That really kept me from crashing in the afternoon. The key is to have a light 1 to 2 PM meal because our bodies' circadium rhythm (basically our cyclical internal clock) is at its lowest about 3 PM, which is why we seem to be in a slump at that time. And, a heavy meal will not help that sluggish feeling. Essentially, the time we are most sleepy (3 AM) has a mirrored effect 12 hours later (half way through our daily cycle).

I don't know if it has to do with our true rhythm trying to catch up or what. (which, if there was no sunlight, would be about 25 hours instead of 24)

Just get in touch with what your body needs more than anything. I realize this has gone off a tangent, but definitely pay attention to what you respond to at what times. I understand a tough work day (attend 2nd toughest workload college in the US), so my diet needs to be good to react to energy spikes.

Meal
    Shake
    Meal
    Meal
    Shake

That's my day. Even if your meal is an MRB, your body may respond to a more physical digestive process than it would to a shake.

9. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

10. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Muscle milk RTD are good!
    Proteon bars are good
    Elite fts guys said joe defranco's bars are good, but they could be full of shit
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=303&pid=1681
    These are supposed to be good too
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=303&pid=1918
    I recomend getting a variety, eatign the same shit all the time can get old.

I had soem really good bars at the arnold this year, I ahve no clue what they where called, but they where tasty, sorta like banna nut bread ro a cofee cake. verry good!

11. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

i say make your own bars

12. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Muscle Milk ftw. Price ftl. :(

13. N-Word-Jim

bought 200 muscle milk light shakes. Should last me a month and a half or so of the 5-day a week thing. I'll be in my office on the weekends, so I can make wtfever I want then ;).

About the chicken/broccoli thing, it takes too long to eat that, you have to have something to drink with it in case you start choking (I've done this many times and know it is so inefficient I'll skip it and won't eat enough) the RTD I can jam my knife in the top, hold it upside down over my mouth and squeeze - 8.5oz gone. Minimum of 5 a day will get me 800 cal during the day and I can get the rest when i wake up, as soon as I get home, and before bed.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Black Ice, thanks for typing so much. I've been at this game for 3 years and know exactly what my body wants (went from 275 to 195, then bulked to 220, cut to 200, bulked to 225, and am now at 210+/- and want to get to 190-195 where I should be lean as fuck.)

This is the first time i've lived alone in basically my entire life and I've never cut so easily as when I don't have anyone else bringing shit into my house, it's a walk in the park, but if I don't eat well while I'm on this job then I'll stuff my face when I get home to get my calories and I'll lose muscle and gain fat. It's worth it to me to spend whatever is necessary to make my life a little easier.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  14. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Your day is so rushed you can't eat a solid meal?

15. N-Word-Jim

nope.

I'm running multiple crews of 8-12 guys at a cost to me of about $65/hr each man plus my equipment expense, interstate lane closures ($1000 fine every 15 minutes we go beyond 3:00PM in one direction or before 9:00AM in the other direction). I can't take my eyes off the operation for a second, every minute of down time and every error costs a LOT of money. It isn't worth it to me.

16. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

what the shit do you do?

Pay a personal chef to pre-make your meals daily!!

17. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

i-banking?

18. N-Word-Jim

I run a construction company.

I can't pay a chef to slam it down my throat in 15 seconds.

19. N-Word-Jim

off to the gym, thanks again fellas ;)

20. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

Than pay an engineer to construct a tool to do if for you!...

(or invest in a blender, and premake shakes to take with)

21. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

lol why did I not see that you described what you do?

Did you ninja edit? I don't SEEEEEEE the "edited by:" thing though.

Damn I'm blind.

22. N-Word-Jim

i've done that plenty of times, but I don't think you understand how fucking tired I'm going to be. I'd rather pay to have it done for me... plus shakes get a bit funky - even if chilled all day if you make em at 5AM and finish consuming them at 7PM. Also I dunno about the whole protein denaturing thing - easier just to pay to play sometimes :hs:. I will occasionally make a shake to bring with me, I usually go 32oz in a nalgene bottle and then I can get the exact mix I want, but to just have a crate of these things is going to be very comforting to me.

23. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

I just tried the New-Whey Liquid Protein stuff and it tastes pretty good. It's a smaller serving than a Muscle Milk, but has 42g of protein. Same price too.
    Give it a shot. :o

24. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Prolab Lean Mass Complex MRP - macro breakdown doesn't get any better. I been using them for a few years. Get the cinnomon.

EDIT: It's not RTD, but i just stuff one package in an empty shaker bottle, add water and shake at school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.