me + spare computer = (suggestions ?????)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Roadkill_ak_47, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Roadkill_ak_47

Roadkill_ak_47 Support your local Pirate

so i now have a spare computer that is now my bitch, so i want to use it as best i can, how dose one go about makeing a node ? would it be worth it to have 1 spare system as a node, i already have the drives maped for additional storage what else can i do?

Main system is a 3800 x2 (amd)
    100g hdd space

Slave is 2800 athlon amd
    240g hdd space

Cliffs:
    i have a spare system, i was also thinking ftp server and or a personal mail server i dunno help me decide or suggest somthing i havent thought of.

2. copeland

copeland smarter than you

slap some distro of *nix on it and get busy learning.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Install Ubuntu, then you'll find that it prolly runs faster than your new system. lol

Also with a linux box, you get free server software...so it can act as a webserver, email server, firewall for your network, print server, it's even possible to make it into a phone answering machine. There are many other things you can do with linux...and Ubuntu is one of the best distros out there.

There are literally thousands of programs you can d/l for free also. Once the OS is installed, just go to synaptic package manager and check them out. It'll automatically d/l the dependancies for you which is very helpful.

If you do install ubuntu, be sure to install Automatix. It's a program that will take your raw install and make it fun - it installs all the useful programs you will want....like a free firewall, flash and many other progs.

Best part of Ubuntu is the community. The website has tons of tutorials and the people are extremely helpful and friendly. Oh and everything is free for Ubuntu...so it's pimp!

Anyways, check it out:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. Install Linux.
    2. Install a "persuaded" copy of OSX.
    3. Install Windows Server.
    4. Install DOS.

5. Roadkill_ak_47

Roadkill_ak_47 Support your local Pirate

i thought of going linux but the thing is my data is on a 2nd drive as ntfs and as far as i know linux cant read that so well

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Oh it can. And it can write to it too (might need to do a bit of twiddling about for that though).

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Two options:

1. Backup the data, reformat as FAT32, and copy the data back onto the drive;

2. Install a program called ext2IFS that will let Windows read ext2 and ext3 filesystems, then reformat the second drive as ext3.

Either option will let Windows and Linux both access your data drive.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

In for world domination.

[​IMG]

9. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

you have a spare computer? where did you get it from? didnt know you had parts to build it

10. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

i use my spare computer as a media center, throw a tv card in it and hook it up to your tv

11. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I use my spare as a fileserver. Just has XP on it and I back stuff up on it occasionally. ALos serves my mp3's to my wireless media player thingie in the garage.

12. evilocity

evilocity New Member

What do you do? I'm probably going to mash my spare into a tiny ass case can make it a slave to Conectiv for mobile MP3 djing applications. This is a great use for a spare...if that's a prt of who you are. Same with linux. If you want to spend hours fucking around with the intricacies of a new OS, it's a great, fun way to do it (though I recommend Gentoo, myself. More interesting of a process than ubuntu) but if that's not a big part of who you are, fuck it.

Hell, you could turn it into a damned picture frame, if you're so inclined.

13. splanky

splanky New Member

If you get Norton Ghost, you can partition off portions of your hd while in Windows. So make a new partition, format it as you please, and install Ubuntu!!!!

14. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

thats what i do, minus the wireless media thing

mine has 120gb system drive and 2 200gb drives. it's so old but works great. it's a dual processor pentium 2 450mhz with 512mb ram. i'm forced to run winxp pro because my tivo program only works on xp or osx.

i'm thinking about converting all the disks into one dynamic disk, because it's getting a pain to organize everything through mapped drives and making sure i don't have copies of everything (i do backup, but those drives don't stay in any computers)