MIL MDs and the military

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by flyinace09, Mar 24, 2006.

1. flyinace09

flyinace09 New Member

Hello all,

I am currently a pre-med student and am planning on attending medical school in the future. I originally was in ROTC but the unit at my school was, to say the least, sub-standard. I left the Air Force ROTC so that I can continue my classes and not get sucked into their life. I am currently on the NY State Guard (long story there as to how I got there) as an E-4.
    My plan is to go through OCS either before or right after graduating with my bachelors degree. Money for medical school is not my worry either.

I have heard though that dentists and doctors have a different form of OCS/OTS though. Does that training occur before they get their MD, or after they get their MD and decide to enter the military? I am trying to bust this "myth" that none of the recruiters can give me a straight answer on. Any help would be great!

2. burton564

burton564 New Member

if you have a md, you go through a 2 week version of ocs. you just learn customs and traditions and all that bullshit. then they give you your o-3

3. Accord

Accord New Member

My best friend is currently at Ohio State Medical School on the army's dime and is going to a 6 week OCS type thing this summer and he's only in his first year of med school. He automatically becomes an O-3 once he graduates med school and becomes an actual MD.

4. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

:gtfo: and become a real Doc. Don't be a MIL Doc. They'll probably end up teaching you some lazy ass habits.

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

first of there is no point in going through ocs if you plan on becoming a doctor. all you're going to do is waste your time. What you should do is go for the scholarship which is pretty much guarenteed to anyone who gets into medical school. This would put you on ed delay status. You would not have to attend drill, or annual training, you immediately have your pay grade temporarily changed to o-1 for the duration you're in school, and once your 4 years of schooling is done you get commissioned as a captain. You can take that time you owe the army and use that for your residency. It is more hands on, paid much better (60-80k range starting), and best of all if you screw up you won't get sued.

6. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

have you done this yourself? i really don't know about this. from what i understand your active duty obligation starts AFTER your residency. also from what i understand OCS/OTS wasn't optional because you don't get pinned until you've fufilled that part even if you're being in the O3 paygrade.

7. shiba

shiba Active Member

no but i'm loking into the md path myself. I've had several talks with officers who went this path and this was what i was told.

Yes your active duty obligation dosent start till after your residency. What i said is that you are still going to be in the army, except you won't have drill and you get paid as a lieutenant. afterwards you go through some leadership training course, which is pointless because it is very unlikely that you;ll ever take command of a unit.

The army needs doctors and they will pay handsomely for them. one of the colonels i spoke with in private is a cardiologist making 150K of the army alone, subtract how much a regular colonel makes and you get an idea of how big a bonus they get.

8. shiba

shiba Active Member

you best best is to find a medical unit and speak to someone who's been through this.

9. flyinace09

flyinace09 New Member

Shiba, I hear similar things too, I have been thinking of taking that route for a while too. There's a medical unit on base near me that I keep intending to go to, but every time I get pulled into the medical center its for something other than a simple chat.

Pre-med is killing me, and the talks I am getting from doctors about mapractice and their insurances is starting to scare me too. There's so many idiot patients that want to skin a doctor for money that I am afraid of what will happen when I get my MD. Of course in the military there isn't much of that BS at all, but once you enter the civilian world its another story.

I keep getting stories like that and I'm going to go back to that recruiter and ask for that pilot's slot again...

10. darnit

darnit New Member

We had an o-2 that just completed her residency, and still hadn't gone to OCS yet.
    There are very few Military doctors, mainly we have doctors that wear a uniform.. big difference.

11. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

so she was pinned? what branch?

12. shiba

shiba Active Member

i'm guessing medical.