GUN MD shooters...call to action.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Feb 21, 2008.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

There are two things going on right now that should be very important to MD shooters.

First off, there is a petition going on right now to bring a shall issue CCW to MD. Please go and sign it here. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-for-shall-issue-legislation-in-maryland.html

Also, and even more important right now is a bill that will be voted on that will require the micro stamping on ammunition. This will also make ALL RELOADING ILLEGAL in the state of MD. And on top of that there is a proposed 5 cents PER ROUND tax on all ammo.

There is a hearing on Feb.26 that all should be at if at all possible, if not you NEED to write your representatives ASAP and tell them how bad of a bill this is.

You can find info and other bills and how to contact people on this page.

http://www.marylandshallissue.org/curact.html

Here is info on the bill.

HOUSE BILL 517 - Regulated Firearms _ Encoded Ammunition _ Tax
    Authorizing a person to sell ammunition for a regulated firearm on or after January 1, 2009, only in accordance with the Act; requiring an ammunition manufacturer to encode ammunition for a regulated firearm in a specified way; requiring the Secretary of State Police beginning on January 1, 2009, to establish and maintain an encoded ammunition database; imposing a tax of 5 cents per round on the sale of encoded ammunition beginning on January 1, 2009; etc.
    http://mlis.state.md.us/2008rs/billfile/hb0517.htm
    Hearing: Tuesday, February 26th at 1 PM
    OPPOSE - Not only is the tax oppressive to shooters, but this bill would stop all reloading by competitive shooters. Unworkable, and unconstitutional.
    Read details about the horrendous effects of HB-517 here:
    http://www.snubnose.info/wordpress/news/a-new-trojan-horse-encoded-ammunition/
    and
    http://jerrythegeek.blogspot.com/search/label/Encoded Ammunition
    Click here for an HB 517 pdf brochure.

For ammunition against this bill you can use these FACTS about encoded ammo in your letters to your reps.

Myth: Independent testing by forensic technologists shows the technology is reliable
    Fact: Firing pins are readily removable and swappable in most models of handguns, and inexpensive replacement parts. Criminals who file down serial numbers on the sides of guns won’t hesitate to file or exchange firing pins.
    Fact: 46% of impressions ranked as “unsatisfactory” (i.e., illegible) after only ten rounds.47
    Myth: Filing the firing pin will make the gun inoperable

Fact: Firing pins are designed to be pushed deeply into the primer (igniter) of the round. The depth of the engraving (approximately 0.005 inch)48 is vastly smaller than the tolerance of the firing pins drive depth.
    Fact: In a test, the engravings were removed using a 50-year-old knife sharpening stone in less than a minute. The firearm still operated correctly after the filing.49
    Fact: Even if a criminal does not file down the firing pin, they might retrieve spent cartridges. If they use a revolver, the cartridges stay with the firearm and are rarely recovered by police.
    Myth: The cost per firearm will be cheap
    Fact: The National Shooting Sports Foundation, the representative for firearm manufactures, estimates the cost will be upwards of $150 per firearm, more than tripling the price of selfprotection and making it unaffordable for low-income people.50 The Brady Campaign dispute those with firearm manufacturing experience claiming microstamping would cost only 50¢?
    Myth: The numbers will let police find the gun’s owner
    Fact: Most crime guns are stolen property, 51 which makes finding the original owner worthless.

And for a bit of other ideas that have not worked in the state of MD and the cost associated, check out these facts:

Myth: A database of ballistic profiles will allow police to trace gun crimes
    Fact: Maryland’s ballistics database “is not doing anything” and “has not met the mission statement of the state police." In the first five years of implementation, it failed to lead to any criminal arrest or convictions, despite collecting over 80,000 specimens at a cost of $2,567,633.33

Myth: Ballistic imaging is used in Maryland and New York and solves many crimes
    Fact: Not so far. Neither New York nor Maryland has reported a single prosecution based on matched casings or bullets. The cost for this lack of success in Maryland exceeds $2,500,000 a year, and in New York it exceeds $4,000,000.
    Fact: In Syracuse, the police have not submitted over 400 handguns for ballistic testing over a three-year span because the system is inefficient.

All those facts can be found and are credited to their respective sources in the pdf found at www.gunfacts.info

Please, any MD residents take action on this and do something about it. Silence and doing nothing is the equal to saying its ok.

Also, any letters from out of state folks are also appreciated though I dont believe they have the same effect.

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

God I hate MD.

3. DarkalaOkiela

DarkalaOkiela THERE IS NO TIME!

Thanks a lot for this post. Living in MD all my life i honestly dont see shall issue ever happening. It needs to. I cannot carry a cop. I need to be able to defend myself from the criminals who don't give a damn about my life.

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Wow $0.05 per round tax is ridiculous. It would be a $27.50 tax on a Federal 22LR bulk pack that costs $10.

5. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I wrote all the reps on the page of one of those links I posted and used some of the facts from gunfacts.info and got a reply from one of them today thanking me for my very informative email and that she would be sure to take the input seriously.

Not sure if it was a blowoff or not, but at least I know she saw it.

There is a hearing on the ammo bill next week in Annapolis, I'm going to make sure I'm there and I hope that others can make it as well.