Mclaren F1 vs Ferrari Enzo?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by torchC5, Nov 19, 2004.

1. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

I have never seen a head-to-head comparison between these two supercars, although I would think the Enzo would be the better overall car. What do you guys think?

2. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

The possibility of a genuine head to head is an awkward proposition.

Ferrari have never taken kindly to journalists making road test comparisons with other manufacturers since the days of the F40 vs Porsche 959. Same was true with the F50 against the McLaren F1, Ferrari would not release one of their cars so CAR magazine borrowed one from an owner. Needless to say Ferrari were less than impressed.

With regards to which would be better, I personally wouldnt be one to speculate. My personal preference is for neither of them. I'd much prefer an F40 :big grin:

3. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

Good point. I guess I never looked at in Ferrari's point of view. But then again, if they stand by their product they shouldn't have to worry about how they fair against competitors. After all, isn't Ferrari considered a benchmark among its rivals?

4. m5am

m5am New Member

Top gear recently had a episode comparing one to the mclaren, f40, jaguar, porsche GT, and pagani.

5. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

Link or ban :big grin:

6. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

You can buy a McLaren, and then get it rebuilt for like $30 grand. So, even if I had a billion dollars, if it was cheaper to get a McLaren and get the rebuild, for whatever it costs, over an Enzo, I'd do it. $30grand is what you pay for Enzo maintainence.

But there is exclusivity with the Enzo that has it's draw.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  7. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

8. Boodies

Boodies New Member

FACT: Enzo will whip the F1s on the Track

9. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

i think ferrari has the best idea...they know what their cars do they don't need some amatuer workin for some lame ass magazine testing their car and saying for x-amount of money its not worth it...cuz no matter what i read its always pocket rockets = best cars for the money...but ferrari doesn't care cuz they aren't building their cars for some teeny bopper to drive around like an idiot...they build their cars for a) business guys who've got the money to pimp one or b) for people who REALLY know how to drive the car

10. bottomline

bottomline Guest

I'd rather have an enzo. :o

11. elysium

elysium Guest

It's simple actually:
    - Acceleration - McLaren
    - Top speed - McLaren
    - Lap Times - Enzo
    - Prestige - Enzo

I'd take the Enzo. :hs:

12. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Think I would have to disagree on the prestige factor. Based on the fact that only 100 Big Mac's were built in comparison to 399 Enzos.

That even greater exclusivity for me makes the F1 far more prestigious.

13. waspride

waspride Can't this wait till I'm old, can I live while I'm

They compared the new super cars to the old. He actually still liked the F40 the best.

14. liloutlaws

liloutlaws Guest

actually acceleration enzo will beat mclaren

but it will not beat f1 cars..where did u get that?

15. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

Yeah, but they still did not show any comparison between the Enzo and Mclaren. He liked the F40 because it was the most purely unrefined, streetable racecar of the bunch. No traction control, no movable rear wings, no luxury whatsoever.

16. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

I'd love to post about which car would out accelerate which, and who would out handle who, but I've never driven either and I'm not a textbook racer :hs:

So I'll just say that if I had a choice between the two cars, I would take the Enzo :bigthumb:

17. elysium

elysium Guest

18. G-MAN

G-MAN Guest

i honestly dont kno on this one. but i would have to go with the mclearnen on this one. i mean u can get the engine rebuild for cheaper then u can get a brake job on the enzo. but on the other hand the mclearen's clutch goes every 5k. so its really a toss up. but in the end i think i would go with the f40 over both just cuz simply i see it as a true supercar , you actually get the feel for the car no traction control or what not and the design to me is to DIE FOR

19. elysium

elysium Guest

I don't think McLaren/Ferrari owners base purchase decisions on maintenance costs. :hs:

20. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

Bangkok, Thailand - Lausanne, Switzerland
    I'm Sorry Sir, the Mclaren today will sell for well over $1.5 mil, with only 100 cars ever built (70 road cars, 30 GTR's) and some lost along the way, it is much more rare and prestigeous than the Ferrari. This is the only Pure Mclaren Car (apart from the Fabulous V12 BMW supplied) ever to exist. The New Mclaren SLR is too much of a Merc and has lost that 'form following function' design criterium. The F1 is not only bloody fast, it's aesthetically orgasmic (to my taste) and is functional with an honourable bootspace (on the sides behind the passenger seats) and can accomodate 3 people confortably. It's the Ultimate Supercar, i doubt we'll ever see another car equal it in it's prestige, exquisite gracefulness and engineering Excellence. The cars cost £650,000 back in 1991 and even then, Mclaren didn't make a penny of profit, testament to the fact that Gordon Murray was given full control of his project and not watered down by the concerns of an accountant.
    Ferrari, well i personally think the F40 and the Mclaren are in a class apart, simply the finest examples of Motoring excellence, those cars are the peak right there.... where as the Enzo might be fast, expensive and quick around a track, it's lost the sheer passion and character of it's grand pa, the F40.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  21. torchC5

torchC5 Guest

While I love Ferrari I think I might have to agree with everything you just said.:)

22. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

:bigthumb: :)

23. elysium

elysium Guest

Fucking Enzo haters... DIAF! :hs:

24. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

DIYOF Mofo! :fawk:

25. elysium