GUN McDonald v. City of Chicago

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Gatsby, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Who is ready for this decision? I personally find it absolutely ridiculous that individual cities, counties and states feel they can trump the Supreme Court by interrupting that Keller vs DC only applied to federal land.

Can't wait for the supreme court to bitch slap them. :wiggle:

2. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Can't wait.

3. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

I've read chicago is already preparing laws that they think will skirt around the ruling, i.e. banning the SALE of weapons in the city. Seriously, must be really scared of guns.

4. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

The U.S. Constitution only applied at the federal level when it was first instituted. The states could apply their own bans, regulations, or be even more expansive with their freedoms.

After the 13, 14, and 15 Amendments, the Supreme Court came up with a way to make them apply to each individual state via "Selective Incorporation". Wherein the Amendment or provision in the Constitution would apply at the state level only if it was "incorporated" upon the states.

The Second Amendment has not been incorporated at this time by the Supreme Court. The Ninth Circuit of all places ruled that it was incorporated, but was vacated on rehearing. The Second and Seventh Circuit have ruled against incorporation, which is why McDonald v. City of Chicago is headed to the Supreme Court.

--This is where it gets sticky Constitution Proponents -- Do you want States' Rights and allow the states to be autonomous or do you want the 2A to be ruled upon at a one-size-fits-all level and force the states into compliance?

5. ernest

ernest OT Supporter

I did a paper on this for subject for college last semester. Got an A on it. if anyone's interested here it is. Let me know if the link doesnt work.

6. mvizos

mvizos New Member

Info on Keller vs DC? :hsugh:

7. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Not entirely true, Supremacy Clause has a meaning ya know?

I am for states rights, but I believe that there are various issues that must be federally mandated due to interstate travel and tax purposes (gun laws and gay marriage for example).

8. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

:hs: Heller

9. Jurisbot Esq.

I thought that was a given. The states would be able to control everything else that wasn't specifically granted to the Federal government to control.

Of course that has been completed perverted with the "interstate commerce clause".

10. contactone

contactone OT Supporter

It's amazing the people of chicago are more interested in bragging that Obama is from their town and not worried that badly needed funds are going towards fighting this lawsuit. School system and public works employees are getting laid off and Chicago is fighting this suit tooth and nail.

11. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

The 2nd Amendment IS one-size-fits-all, and DOES require compliance by the states. It does not, like the 1st, say "Congress shall not infringe".

I have a pen. I hold it up and say "This pen shall not be taken from me". Am I saying that only the federal government can't take it, but it's ok for anybody else to?

And even if we grant that it only applied at the federal level, that ended with the 14th Amendment, which applied ALL federal rights to the state level.

12. Jurisbot Esq.

:rofl:

Read up on Selective Incorporation.

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

lol @ legal experts on OT

14. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I'm very familiar with selective incorporation. Except, that is, for the constitutional basis for it. The 14th Amendment says "no state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges and immunities of citizens of the united states".

NOT "no state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges and immunities of citizens of the united states which have been incorporated by judicial decree".

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010