MMA McCain and MMA

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GSPFAN, Feb 1, 2008.

1. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Not to dive into politics obviously, I just wanted to see if any of you had any concerns on what he would "try" to do to the sport IF he was ever elected? I mean he is one of the largest opposers of MMA in the U.S. and if you don't know that you should.
    I wouldn't vote for him strictly because of that.

2. TCMS

TCMS OT Supporter

IMO it won't matter. He wouldn't have unfettered legislative ability as the president, so I'm not worried about the impact he would have on MMA.

However, I don't think a Republican will have a remote chance in hell of winning the General Election.

3. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

true, I think the chances are remote but with a few bills of small changes could come large impacts.

4. TCMS

TCMS OT Supporter

It won't happen. It's far more difficult to effectuate change when there is a billion dollar industry watching what you're doing.

5. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Ron Paul bitch.

He straight won the Florida debate.

He is the only republician that opposes the fact that we went to Iraq and wants the fuck out. :h5:

6. Someone hasn't been following the bush presidency very closely.

7. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

:werd: too much money in it now

8. TCMS

TCMS OT Supporter

Show me an example of Bush doing something to ban a particular activity that is supported by a billion dollar industry, in the United States.

Big difference between IGNORING constitutional res judicata, and overstepping his bounds and drawing legislation.

9. ilduce

ilduce New Member

Come on Hum, that statement is juvenile at best. The big decisions that matter have to get backing. He may be able to initiate something but there are a whole lot of other people that need to jump on board first, in this case it wont happen.

10. Vote to confirm John Roberts to the Supreme Court: Republicans (56-0) -- Democrats (22 -22)

Cloture vote on Sam Alito's nomination to the Supreme Court: Republicans (54-0) -- Democrats (19-25)

Vote on Authorization to use military force in Iraq: Republicans (48-1) -- Democrats - (29-21)

Cloture vote on Bankrupty Bill: Republicans (55-0) -- Democrats (14-30)

Cloture vote on nomination of Priscilla Owens to appeals court: Republicans (55-0) -- Democrats (25-18)

Toture/detention bill: Republicans (53-1) -- Democrats (12-33)

11. ilduce

ilduce New Member

Thanks for proving my point. Notice the numbers you posted, none of them indicate he was the only vote. What you posted was normal voting along party lines. I still fail to see where this is unfettered power. Also notice that you posted many items which had decent support from the democratic party. Our county also has a history of trying to sway the judicial branch in its power when given the chance. Justices are a way of having some type of lasting power.Point is, he didnt do that by himself, others had to agree.

12. the story it's supposed to tell, with all the votes where no republican dissented) is that Bush has a rubber-stamp senate. the republicans all jump in lockstep to his command, and many of the spineless democrats betray their base as well.

wrong forum, so if you wanna talk about it, go to this thread in DIAC, which has a nice article on it as well.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3649700

13. ilduce

ilduce New Member

In that light then you could say we either have a whole lot of people that agree(not too likely) or a bunch of people with no backbone. Regardless he cant do this by himself, he may have a rubber stamp but that is because it was given to him.The situation is what is, does it make it right that there is no dissension no, but hopefully this changes next election.

I usually try to stay out of this stuff in here so Im done I just necessarily agree with what you said.

14. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I dont think it will make a difference now. When he was opposed to mma it was initially because of the old UFC now with the way dana white is running it most of the promoters and sanctioning bodies dont have a problem with it any more they all understand.

15. the fading power of the legislature has been an ongoing theme lately. Spinelessness is definitely rampant. Here's another interesting article on the subject.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/01/23/contempt/

16. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

John McCain's objections to the UFC and MMA were what led the UFC to seek legitimacy and grow into what it is today. I doubt he'd have issues with the sport as it sits now in 2008.

17. "The sport has grown up. The rules have been adopted to give its athletes better protections and to ensure fairer competition." - Mccain

18. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I'm glad you found it. I didn't feel like looking.

19. I think he still doesn't like it, like most older hardcore boxing fans.

20. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

I don't like any of the idiots running for president

21. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah exactly

22. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

If McCain was elected president, his stance on MMA would be the least of my worries.

23. Exiled

Exiled New Member

screw politics

who cares!

24. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

:hsugh:

25. Exiled

Exiled New Member

[size=billion]WHO CARES[/size]