MCAD or SCJP??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by techx, Jun 8, 2005.

1. techx

techx New Member

I'm having a tough time deciding which route to take, I guess it depends on the demand for either C# or java people. I'm in the nj/ny area and see more java jobs then C but I have no idea which is really the best way to go. I have limited experience with C++ so either way would be fine. I just want to code and get a good paycheck. Any opinions?
    Thanks

2. DennyB

DennyB New Member

Personally I like C# more than Java (tried both), it's a great langauge within a great framework. But you're right, there are definitely more java jobs then .net. One reason fot this is surely the interoperability issue, even with mono.

I dont't know much about java certs, but the value of MS certs has dropped sharply. I wanted to do my MCAD some time ago, but the exam question are far away from real world problems. Most of them offer you four choices and you need to pick the right one, whereat the only difference between the answers is the name of the framework class. You will never see this problem in real world, because you'll always have access to the msdn or intellisense. In addition there are many braindumps available for MS exams, even someone withouth programming experience can pass the exams by memorizing all braindump questions/anwers.

I'd recommend you to take a look at both languages/frameworks. I like programming in C#, it's fun, whereas programming in Java is "work" for me. And because of that I'd choose a C# over a java job, even with a lower payment. Don't look at your job opportunities with differrent technologies, look at what you would really like to do.

3. techx

techx New Member

Ahh thanks. I know what you mean though, but I assume that if a potential employer sees you have your MCAD that will get you in the door at least, then they'll make you prove yourself. So obviously even if someone passed the cert from braindumps they'll get nowhere if they can't program worth a crap :p

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

MCAD is probably more in demand at this time.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

:werd: