MBR Problems (I think)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

On my old computer I've got a 12.5 gig HD (the old Linux drive) and a 3.2 gig HD (the old Windows drive). Now that I've got my new computer for Linux, I want to put NT on the 12.5 gig HD (I know, I know, I should get XP or 2k, but there's no money for it right now), and put the 3.2 in my Linux box for MP3's and such (or temp space, or swap, or something, nothing's set in stone yet).

So, I repartition the old Linux drive, wipe it clean, have two NTFS partitions (one 2 gig and one 10.5 gig, since NT doesn't like huge first partitions). Go to install NT on the 2 gig partition. Everything goes fine, says it's installing, copies the files, goes to reboot. Then when it reboots it won't boot up, hangs after it doesn't find a CD to boot from.

This would indicate to me that there's something not right in the MBR that NT is having trouble overwriting. So, can anyone suggest a (preferably windows) utility to help with this? Or am I way off in my diagnosis of the problem?

2. drewski_amk

drewski_amk Guest

if you got an old dos or windows 98 SE boot disk/CD (or any other win os w/ boot disk/CD), you can type fdisk /mbr and that will reset the MBR to the default for that OS (if NT has boot from CD, try that command and everything should work fine if the rest of the install was successful). You can then either reinstall NT or determine if the MBR is completly gone.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Hm, I'll try making a boot disk with fdisk on it and see if that helps... Won't do it tonight since I'll have to do some re-plugging first, but I'll keep you posted.