MBP- New HDD and Leopard Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bbmobbin, Nov 7, 2007.

1. bbmobbin

bbmobbin OT Supporter

I have a MBP 1.83 with 512 ram and 80gig HDD. I just picked up a new 160gig internal and 2 1gig sticks of ram. I have all my stuff backed up on an external already. Im planning to just toss in the new HDD and ram and throw in my leopard disk. That will work right, even though theres going to be nothing on the hard drive to begin with?

2. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

Yeah that should work fine. You'll have to use the disk utility after you boot from the leopard disk to partition and format the drive, then install the OS.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

yeah, i just did that on my dad's MBP this past weekend...
    when you boot from the leopard disc, remember to hold down the "C" key when starting up your computer to boot from the dvd.

then when everything is loaded, go up to the top menu bar and I think it's under "Utilities" go to "Disk Utility" and format your drive. you can't do anything till you do that, the installation won't fine a harddrive til after you format it.

4. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

if your gonna open up your Macbook Pro and replace the hard drive yourself you might as well upgrade the Macbook Pro's wireless card to 802.11N as well.

cost $99 to get one from iFixit.

heres a link to hard drive upgrade
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro/Hard-Drive/85/5/
    link to Wireless Card
    http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-802-11n-Airport-Extreme-Card/IF185-038
    link to Wireless Card upgrade.
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/...grade/macbookpro_N_card_install.html#storytop

I did the upgrade on my Macbook Core Duo and I haven't regretted it since. the card is fast.

5. bbmobbin

bbmobbin OT Supporter

Ya but then i have to upgrade the router right?? im running a stone age linksys wireless G. im broke as it is, but that is on the to do list for sure. probably after xmas!

6. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

the wireless card is backward compatible with 802.11 G and I've had better connections with the N card then I did with the G card that came with my macbook. I'm only saying that if your already gonna be inside the macbook pro's guts you might as well replace the card as well.

heres the place where I bought my wireless N card:

http://powermax.com/parts/show/a-ma688z__b

its cheaper and its the same one that fits inside the Macbook/ Macbook Pro

7. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

Hey thanks for the info :hs: I recently upgraded my HDD and wish I had known this prior. No big deal, the procedure really isn't that complicated. The G card included with my MBP licks balls as far as range is concerned. This should work well with my Airport Extreme as well :bigthumb:

Edit: Quick question, I understand that an 802.11n "enabler" firmware update needs to be loaded in order to use .N, is this correct? I've found some that work with Core2Duo MBP's, but mine is just a CoreDuo (I purchased mine a week or so after the product was released). Do you have any insight as to what I'll need to obtain to get this to work on my 1st gen MBP? I'm running Leopard, btw - not sure if that matters. Thanks in advance :x:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  8. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

I thought so too, but when I first installed the card on my macbook the card didn't show up at all, only after all the updates were installed did the card finally work (installed airport update). if your on tiger, do all the updates and it should show up easily. Wireless cards that came in macs standard, non upgradable had the firmware on software that loads when you boot up, the card wasn't & isn't flashed in any way. both my iMac G5 and my Macbook have the same wireless card Firmware believe it or not.

oh, if your on Leopard, it won't matter at all. did a clean install (erased drive and loaded OS) and everything worked fine from the start including the N card. like I said, the firmware is software not hardware located so the card isn't flashed in any way.

9. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

incredible idea. I was planning on upgrading my CD 1 MBP HD from 80gb 5400 to a 200gb 7200. I might as well upgrade to N, too.

but the thing is, I dont really have any connection issues with my current card. is it that much of a difference to warrant ~$99?

edit: make it ~$50 from the powermax link with is the /B version (enabler included).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  10. bbmobbin

bbmobbin OT Supporter

everything went smooth and im now running 10.5, it was way easier then i thought. it was my first time opening up a mac (a laptop at that), pc's are no problem for me, but its like the same thing but smaller hah.

11. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

you get a somewhat better connection (haven't had any drops with Leopard) but I justified the purchase in that the N standard made my CD Macbook less obsolete and will have better resale value if I ever get rid of it.