MBP is acting up v. halp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Apr 11, 2009.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

running 10.5.6
    2.16GHz C1D
    1GB Ram (currently)
    100GB HD (~21GB free)

I did a clean install around Christmas time, and then around 2 months ago I put in a second 1GB stick from Crucial. After a month of that being it it started randomly shutting down and getting progressively worse til it got to the point that it would just continually restart. So I yanked that new ram out and it started working normally again. (I'm going to try and get a return on warranty in the next week or two on the RAM).

Now, I can't play a fucking song in iTunes without it randomly "freezing" for about 5 seconds 3 times throughout it. VLC also gets a little skippy here and there, and overall it has just been running like shit. I've had this problem for the past 2 or three weeks I'd say, and it'll happen when the only programs I have open are Safari and iTunes (so it's not like I'm thrashing it with work)

I don't do much on it, Safari, iTunes, Word and Powerpoint, it's fairly common for me to plug it into my TV and watching movies off an external HD.

Any ideas? Here is a screen shot of the Activity Monitor when I have iTunes and Safari open (with the only tab in Safari being this post I'm typing...

[​IMG]

I still am under Apple Care but I wanted to go here first because there aren't any apple stores near me at school and it's hard for me to be without a computer for a week being a student.

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

ps thanks in advance for your help.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

see how your cpu looks maxed in the graph? grab the drop down menu up the top and set it to all processes then take another screen shot. also look in your console for any repeated errors that look nasty.

4. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

this. sounds like you may have a background process that's chewing up CPU cycles

5. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

disabling spotlight helps performance quite a bit...

have you tried running any kind of disk repair just to be sure it's not a HD issue?