MBP Dropping Wireless

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I have the MBP before the unibody ones and I am having a problem with my wireless being dropped intermitently. I have figured out it is because of what wireless encryption I am using. If I use TKIP encryption, there is no problems, AES and it drops the connection ALOT!

Simple solution use TKIP but on my DIR-655 that means I am stuck with G speeds, and the whole reason I bought the router was to use faster N wireless speeds.

After some googling it seems there are alot of people with this problem but nobody had a solution that seemed to work.

Anyone on OT have any suggestions, I would think Apple would have gotten on top of this problem awhile ago.

2. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

tried a pram reset yet?

just a long shot, but its fixed some wifi issues for me before

edit: i've never heard of you having to use AES for N on any router....that's odd...

3. Kieffer87

I'll try the PRAM reset.

Yea I had a lot of trouble with it when I first got the router. Then one day I read somewhere to set the encryption to TKIP which I did and there wasn't any problems but I didn't notice I wasn't connected at N speeds. Then one day I noticed I was only connected at 54mbps (G), after messing around with it the only way I could get it to connect at higher speed was to set the ecryption to AES. and it worked fine for a couple of days then I started seeing the dropped connections again, which I then remembered why I changed it the last time.

I wish I had another laptop (Non Apple) to test the N speeds on.

4. Kieffer87

I changed my encryption to use TKIP & AES. Now the MBP is connected as N and everything else is still G like it should. And I havn't had an issue yet so hopefully it lasts. I also didn't try the pram reset yet.