SRS MBA/career in supply chain management, anyone have experience?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by oakback, Jan 12, 2010.

1. oakback

oakback New Member

edit: not sure if this belongs here or asylum, or somewhere else.

The place I work for would pay for my tuition if I decide to go back to school, so I've been thinking about getting my masters. I have a bachelors in business administration, and almost 10 years experience in asset/inventory management, and fleet management.

Is supply chain management a good fit? Are there good career options for a degree with this emphasis? If anyone has experience with this degree or career field, I'd love to hear your take on it.

2. CasterPollux

CasterPollux Master Debater

supply chain is hot topic. business agility. soa. optimization. you gotta be good at everything and like statistics.

3. johan

johan Active Member

MBA is a great credential and readily applicable to many fields outside of supply chain, as you know.
    If they pay for your MBA, how long are you obligated to work for them afterward?

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Most people never take advantage of employer sponsored education because they're lazy. Don't be this guy. Take them up on it.....if it requires a term of service after you complete it and it's not too bad....like under 5 years....go for it. You'll have a free MBA with more experience to boot.

Sounds like an awesome opportunity and working at a company that doesn't do this, I really miss it.

5. oakback

oakback New Member

If I were required to work here for any amount of time afterward, I wouldn't mind at all, I love working here. Though I do need to find out more information to see what the details entail.

The ONLY reason I haven't done it is time away from family. I got my bachelors while working full time (40 hours), and attending class full time (12-15 hours) at night. Classes were 3 nights a week until 9:20 pm, and one Saturday morning a month.

My wife is a stay-at-home mom, and when I was in school we had one kid (2 kids now) and she worked a part-time job. It was very, very rough. I'd often leave before my son got up for school, and come home after he went to bed. Missed Halloween trick-or-treating one year. My wife had to do EVERYTHING at home, and it stressed her out a lot. One semester near the end I took up smoking (I think she smoked at the time too), and I was getting severely burnt out on classes, but the program was designed in a way that you couldn't slack at all or you'd fail immediately. I somehow managed to graduate magna cum laude, with a special distinction award voted by faculty :bigthumb: .

Though I graduated ~2.5 years ago, the memories of the difficult times are still fresh in my head, and every day I feel like I'm lucky to be coming home straight after work. I've been looking into online courses (the entire MBA program is available online), but I don't know how well I would learn like that, I prefer the face-to-face method.