Mazdaspeed3 should I buy one????

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by apollotrance1, Feb 14, 2008.

1. apollotrance1

apollotrance1 Active Member

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That depends on whether you're old enough to handle a real car or not. If you're 16, buy a Civic.

3. asp

asp New Member

yes

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Love mine :wavey:

Need winter tires though - even here.

5. apollotrance1

and a :slap: to you for thinking i am a 16 year old kid, I personally like the way the car handles and the awesome roll on power. Gonna go to the dealership to get a test drive at night...............

6. deusexaethera

I didn't think you were 16. I have no idea how old you are. That's why I said "IF". Learn to read, and don't get pussyhurt over stupid shit.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'd rather have a Volvo V50 T5.

8. kenmei

kenmei squatty potty OT Supporter

I've got a Mazda 6 TS and love it.

Looking to upgrade to the new Mazda 6 sport or possible this one.

depends what the company let me do

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Just a heads up... the interior will develop rattles within 10k when it is cold outside. If you can live with that, get it... its awesome. I've had mine for about 5 months, 7k miles. The windsheild/upper dash rattles when its cold. In warmer temps it goes away.

Also, don't plan on winning any awards for gas mileage. I get ~21mpg on average. I probably split 50/50 highway/backroads and about 50/50 driving fast vs normal (read: no/not much boost, keeping it under 3k rpm). If you can manage to stay out of boost, you might get 25mpg, some people claim higher 20's... but thats about it. It is a thirsty pig in boost.

Aside from those things... its a great car. Bettry hurry up tho, i beleive the blue color is being discontinued for the 2008.5 models. Yes, there is a 2008.5, they are making small changes halfway thru the 200 model year. If you get a 2007 model, make sure you have the dealership make sure all the recall/warranty work has been done, i have read that 2007s had a few things they had to fix. 2008s do not suffer from those problems.

10. deusexaethera

ALL cars rattle if they get cold enough. It's impossible to stop cold rattles, because the fasteners shrink and the rubber bushings get stiff, and even if you tighten the parts to where they don't make noise, they'll just get loose again in the summer and make more noise next winter.

The engine might not get great gas mileage, but it gets better gas mileage than a larger non-turbo engine with the same power.

- - -

What are the safety issues that need fixing?

11. apollotrance1

Thats good looking out, but I live in Florida where it is hot 24/7, so the cold issue I can deal with maybe 2-5 days out of the year.

12. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

:rofl::ugh:

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dunno about that. My Volvo never got rattles, and that was def a vehicle designed for the cold.

Likewise, both my trucks do just fine.

14. deusexaethera

(sigh) Well, I suppose if anyone would put in the attention to keeping parts tight given large changes in temperature, it would be the Swedes.

Was this an older car or a newer one? Did it have a lot of hard plastic or was it that softer rubber-texture stuff?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I had two.

1993 854 GLT
    1994 855 SportWagon

Half hard plastic, and half not-so-hard. It looks boring in pictures, but it was one of the MOST comfortable and ergonomic cars I've ever driven.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

And spend 10 grand more? :hsugh:

17. apollotrance1

I rather NOT

18. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for a MUCH better car. And the V50T5 is around $32k....

20. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I had my old Civic for 6-7 years, and over 170k miles total, and didn't develop any rattles.

My point was that it is a $25k car, and within the first 2-3 months of ownership, its developed rattles. I'm not to thrilled with that idea. I was just trying to let the OP know of the (few) downfalls the car has.

21. red97gst

red97gst New Member

If you are fine with FWD and it being a "wagon" or "hatch" or whatever helps you justify the "24 year old married guy / i love my dog and pretend to do extreme sports" look then go for it. Seems like a great FWD alternative to the WRX wagon and A3 2.0T.

Build quality is not like a volvo or audi, but it's much cheaper and also makes more cheap power.

If you need the wagon setup, cop it. Personally I'd get a used EVO or Sti since they are all bargain basement cars, but the 3 has the nicest interior IMO. Be prepared for chicks to tell you that you drive a "cute" car though.

At least with an EVO or STi they'll just say it's "ugly" or "obnoxious"

22. jdhommert

jdhommert OT Supporter

Arguable. :)

23. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The carpet is absolute crap, Heaven help you if you walk through grass and get in the car...unless spending an hour vacuuming is your idea of fun. The cloth seats are garbage too, don't ever, ever spill anything on them. I've detailed a couple Mazda3s and rented one for 3 weeks after my 626 was totalled. Plus, after owning a POS version 626, I'm not sure I trust Mazda reliability.

On the other hand, even the base 2.0 Mazda3 with a 4 speed automatic is pretty fun to drive. Very responsive steering, handles well and even with only 148 hp, pretty peppy. Another 120 hp would only be a really good thing. :)

24. deusexaethera

Not really. That's the whole reason for turbocharging in the first place. The Chevy LS7 demonstrates that weight isn't really a limiting factor in engine design, so if a big N/A engine could also get better city/highway mileage as well as being the same weight, nobody would ever turbo an engine -- not from the factory, anyway. Forced-induction lets a small engine pull like a big engine, but not drink like a big engine.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no son. Turbo engines DO drink more than NA engines. It's part of making more power. If you're gonna shove more air in the cylindar, then you need more fuel to make it all go boom.

And a small turbo engine does NOT pull the same as a big engine. That's why there is the phrase "no replacement for displacement".