Mazdaspeed 3...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by verbal, Jul 7, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I searched and read. Then I figured I'd make a new topic. Who has one? I'm seriously considering it.

I was originally thinking about the 3 sedan due to gas prices. Then the hatch grew on me. Now I came into some money for a decent size down payment and I realize how much I miss a turbo, so I'm considering the MS3. I also get the Ford discount through a family member.

I still have to test drive one though. Probably tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You'll lose a substantial amount of MPG to the turbo engine. Not so much because turbos are inefficient, but just because you'll drive it harder. Nobody buys a turbo engine so they can drive it like a normal engine.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Totally true. Recently got into a discussion with someone about adding a header and wondering if I'll see an improvement in gas mileage. They said I'd see a decrease. There should be no decrease and if anything, a slight increase because it takes less gas to make the same power needed to maintain a freeway speed. The reason everyone sees a decrease in gas mileage when they add these parts is because with the added power you feel the need to make use of it more often.

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

I know, my last car was a WRX.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You asked this the other day in the main forum. Just drive one.

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm going to. Today.

I just thought I'd ask here. Some people don't pay for the main forum.

7. Dweezil

Dweezil New Member

Very nice cars. My wife was seriously considering one before we replaced her minivan with an fx35.

In my not so humble opinion, MPH > MPG each and every time. As long as you stay out of boost your MPG will be decent. Stand on the throttle and, well, you know... :)

One of my pals drives a MS3, and another an MS6. Both are nice and quite fun, but I really dig the 3 hatch.

Go drive one and provide your feedback.

8. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

you guys get a steal on yours? I don't love my mom's (I do like how it drives) but I cannot deny, we got a great deal on it. we leased but after we talked 'em down the principle our payments are based off of is like 3-4k off msrp, i think at/below invoice.

9. Rich

Rich New Member

Buy Speed 6, AWD is greater.

10. deusexaethera

They don't make those anymore, and AWD only matter in snow or if you don't know how to drive. You're not going to get wheelspin once you're up to speed.

11. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Just speaking as a detailer, the carpet is absolute garbage. It is seriously as bad as it gets. Walk through grass, go to the beach or allow a dog to ride with you and be ready to spend an hour (as in 60 minutes) trying to vacuum stuff out of that sorry excuse for carpet they use. The cloth seats are huge stain magnets too so get leather.

As a former Mazda 626 owner, I have serious issues with Mazda reliability as well. The drivetrain itself was very solid but accessories (a/c, altenators, etc) were cheap.

That being said, I drove a base Mazda3 (2.0, 148 hp, automatic) after my 626 was totaled and I must say it was a very entertaining car, even with just under 150 hp and a 4 speed slush box.

12. Tonydogx

Tonydogx OG status.

Mazda has made great strides in quality of their cars both performance and reliability wise. The 626's were not too competitive in their class.

13. verbal

verbal Active Member

Didn't get off work in time yesterday. :( Definitely driving tomorrow. :wiggle:

14. deusexaethera

They weren't the best-performing cars, but as someone who's owned one and driven several on a regular basis since the 80's, I say they match Toyota's reliability and they're much more comfortable and they cost less.

15. art_VW_shark

:bowrofl:

16. Figori

Figori Taking BRC to the EXTREME. OT Supporter

I've personally driven one, and I was very impressed. Like everyone says, just stay out of boost and you'll be fine. I kind of like the Speed 6's size better, but they don't make them anymore. Oh well. ;)

17. deusexaethera

Personal experience, buddy. How do I know the people who had trouble with their cars actually bought lemons, and weren't just incompetent? You'd be amazed how fucking stupid most people are about automobile maintenance. I actually met someone (a guy, no less) who didn't understand why he had to put air in his tires periodically; he thought the TPMS would add air as necessary. :doh:

Hell, my neighbor across the street had a flat tire, and I put a note on her door to let her know, and when I saw her the next day she said "thanks for the note, but I have run flats so I don't have to worry about it." :eek3:

I've heard that Mazdas had trouble with groaning transmissions or some shit like that back in the 90's, but I never saw one that did, so I'm going to blame it on the owners thinking that they never needed to change the transmission fluid. It's lifetime fluid, right? Right. :hsugh:

18. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

I have one. If space isn't an issue, I would take a look at the Mini too, I didnt even look because I needed a larger car. Otherwise, I think the speed3 is an awesome car, I chose it over the SI and GTI. With the Lancer Ralliart right around the corner though, it might be worth while to check that out.

19. Dweezil

Dweezil New Member

However, getting from a standing stop to 'up to speed' is where the adrenaline lives. :) I'm sold on AWD - all of my cars since 1993 have been AWD turbo beasties with one exception.

20. deusexaethera

It's good for that, yeah. Sucks how it kills gas mileage, though.

I just took the approach of putting stickier tires on my car. It works well enough.

21. Redsand426

Redsand426 Active Member

I drive a mazdaspeed 6. It's a sleeper, people are like WTF when they hear my bov. AWD is great not only in the snow, but also for launching.. it'll eat the ms3 off the line, but from a roll the ms3 is quicker because it doesn't lose as much HP through the fwd driveline as the ms6 does with it's awd.

Economy is 20-25mpg when driving normal, ~18mpg when driving like a crazy boost addict and some people reported a little over 30mpg when driving like a granny. Premium is a must, higher the octane the better.

MS3 has a great aftermarket that is growing rapidly at the moment, a plus if you plan to mod. Lots of new and exciting things are developing, check out CP-E and Cobb.

Interior is top notch and definitley more sexy and luxurious when compared to a wrx or an evo. I haven't had any problems with my carpets like a poster above mentioned.

A common issue with these cars is the stock turbo seals will start to leak causing smoke out the tail pipe, usually noticed when aftermarket exhaust is installed. My dealer replaced my turbo under warranty.

It's easy to find a used ms6 for around ~19k, but if you don't care for AWD or the looks of a sedan vs. hatchback, then definitely buy the ms3. They are both great cars and fun as hell to drive.

22. art_VW_shark

i love how casually that was stated:mamoru:

23. deusexaethera

Turbos always leak oil. There is no turbo that has zero blowby.

24. Redsand426

Redsand426 Active Member

Wasn't really that big of a deal. I went in for the 30k service and told the dealer that my car has been smoking a bit. They called me and told me my turbo needed to be replaced, gave me a rental for a few days while they put in the new turbo. Cost me nothing.

25. art_VW_shark

no no there was no inconvenience/cost to you but your mazda's on its second turbo and not too old...let's not downplay this too much