Mazda Rx-7

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by bijangxe, Jan 11, 2004.

1. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

Im very interested in getting an rx-7 very soon. But I dont know much about them. What is the best year..93-95? How reliable are they? How much do they cost to maintain? When ppl say FD what does the FD stand for? Basically i want to know if they are goof cars b/c they are kinda old.

thanks a lot

2. MattyCakes

MattyCakes Guest

FD is teh chassis designation

3rd Gen 13b TT = FD
    2nd Gen 13B T/ NA = FC
    1st 12A Carbed!!! = FB?

3rd Gens are reliable to about 85000 miles, if they were well maintained.

If you think about getting one.. upgrade radiator, and intercooler perhaps.

3. sduquette

sduquette Guest

Better have $30k in the bank to maintain your $10k car. There are better performers that are more reliable and in the same price range, hell, turbo a miata, looks the same, and has a better engine

4. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

RX7's are an awesome performance car. But like all performance cars, they also come with lots of maintainence. The FD's are pretty much the "best" model because they are the newest and generally have better technology. The latest is the Series 8, or you may consider the Spirit-R although they were sold in very limited numbers.
    Be sure to have it checked out thoughroughly because purchased by a qualified "rotary" mechanic.

5. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

theyre amazing cars, reliable, but if they break, pray

6. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

See what I mean Mo....not a REAL smart choice for 19 yr old...lol

7. bizee

bizee New Member

1st and 2nd gen = the ugliest things ever.

8. balticmkiv

balticmkiv boostaholic OT Supporter

Rx7s are wonderful cars. Amazing handling, sexy body styling, rare, and great power. The only down fall is that the 13b is a very sensitive motor. Any sign of knock and you can kiss your motor good bye. If you are truly set on buying one I would suggest reading up on the car at www.rx7club.com. You can learn a great deal about the car. You will need a lot of money to keep one running in tip top shape. I know in stock form there are reliability mods that need to be done such as a changing all the vacuum lines, i believe a new radiator and intercooler. If you do have the money for the maintenance the rx7 is a wonderful car to have, but just expect to be spending some money for repairs when the motor eventually goes.

Carlo

9. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Horray for RX-7/rotary misinformation!!! :bowdown:

10. attomica

attomica Active Member

I had the same RX-7 for almost 10 years, a N/A (normally aspirated) 1991 (FC) and that car was awesome! I only had a single mechanical issue the whole time. The clutch slave cylinder went out and I was able to fix it myself with a gasket kit. I changed the oil regularly, flushed the coolant system at proper intervals and observed proper start-up procedures and it was running as strong as new (well, nearly) and at the 152,000 mile mark, some non-English-speaking woman with no insurance lost control of her truck on the highway and totalled it out, but that's a different story.

What everyone is saying with regard to costly maintenance is more focused on the 3rd generation ('93 and up) RX-7s. That's because all 3rd gens are turbocharged. Forced aspiration will shorten the life span of any engine and the Rotary engine's closer tolerances and smaller displacement limit its long term life. N/A RX-7s can last just as long as any other car and all you have to do is take care of it. Sure, my N/A wasn't as fast as the 3rd gen cars, but the handling and brakes are among the best in the business. Plus there are a lot of upgrades.

Damn, I miss that car.

11. attomica

attomica Active Member

Thank you. Your opinion has been noted and summarily dismissed.

12. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

RX-7's are terrific performing and looking cars. Like all the privious posts, the maintanance is a bitch and will cost you a arm and leg.

After 85,000 miles, the Apex seal will most likely go out which will cost you either a new engine or a repair that could cost up to 5k. I am not completly familiar with this problem, so if I was mistaken, someone could correct me.

13. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

OMG! More please MORE!!! :bowdown:

14. sduquette

sduquette Guest

That's if whatever it is in their POS cooling system doesn't break and fuck your engine in the first place.

15. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Instead of just chanting this nonsense, why don't you inform him of what he asked, since you must know about rx-7's right? I even stated that I wasn't sure of my statement, and asked to be corrected if I am wrong.

Please, shed some information other then that.

16. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

rx7 and wankel rotory are a revolution in car design... great cars, great performance. however, a friend has one, and it has been his experience that the maintenance is very hard to keep up on as a college student. but hey, if your pocket doesnt have holes in it, get one... and vudu or whatever, please do inform the rest of us of your sheer genius

17. TomBW

TomBW Guest

Dont get a 93-95 unless you are willing to put about $1k each year into maintaining it. Not that they break alot but the things that do break are generally pretty pricey to replace. Very little goes wrong with them that can leave you stranded. Typically it is small things that add up (bushings, water cooling system, etc.). If you dont keep that $1k going into it each year you will have a real heap of a car just a couple years down the road. Also, as was noted earlier the 93-95 engines usually do last in the neighborhood of 85k miles. Make sure you are ready to be replacing a motor by 100k, very few go beyond that. Not bad when you consider the kind of power you are pulling out of that tiny beer keg. Not only maintenence, but when you have a car like this with huge aftermarket support, you always want to sink more money into it! If I ever end up living on the streets, it will be due to the RX7 aftermarket.
    I have a '93 and believe me, these things are alot of work to keep the way they should be. If you get it right though, they are well worth it.

I wont even ge into how I think the twin turbo rx7 is too much car for a 19 year old. On that topic I will just say that an 87-91 turbo RX7 is pretty quick, alot cheaper, more durable, and a good car to learn about rotaries with.

18. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

Bijan buy a 300zx TT instead, won't break as much

19. ae86andkp61

ae86andkp61 Guest

The first generation's chassis code is actually SA22C but some people refer to them as FB. They came with a carbed 12A and also a 13B in the GSL-SE model.

A thorough mechanical inspection is a good idea with any used car purchase and would definately be recommended here.

In my experience, buying a first or second gen N/A car in good condition and keeping up with the basic maintenance one would perform to almost any car typically results in a fun and reliable car for very little money. If you are serious, go to some of the RX-7 specific sites and forums and read as much as you can. There is a massive amount of rotary info on the web....reading a lot will help you sort out the good info from the misinformation, as you can take an average and throw out the extreme cases. If you can't bring yourself to spend a few hours or days reading information online, you aren't ready for used sports car ownership, go lease a Saturn instead.

20. TomBW

TomBW Guest

To be nit-picky, this is only partially true. The first couple years (79-80 or was it 81?) were SA22C, but for 81 or 82 the standardized VIN number rules took effect and they became the FB.

21. bijangxe

bijangxe New Member

LeX you ass -- MoDiddy wants one not me