Mazda RX-7

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RyeLou, Jun 25, 2004.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Thinking about selling my current car and getting an RX-7 around my birthday. I would more than likely get a beater car to use when the RX-7 was down or on shitty days or something. Opinions? It would be my first factory turbo and rotory car, but you gotta start somewhere. Any input is appreciated.

2. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

man oh man, what a question. ok so i have built a few RX's. The best one was a 93 With a t-76Dual BB with a haltech E6K. They are good sports cars, they handle amazing, they are beautiful cars and have great interiors. Now to the down side, the Apex seals in the FD3S tend to go out. I have heard of FD's going through as many as 6 blocks. The Good news is that swapping a 13BREW is cake.

As far a modding they are a bit tedious to modify. Its not like most cars where you can put on a down pipe, catback, intake and be happy with the new power. With those kind of mods for the car to run correctly you will need a ECU upgrade from Petit or M2 Performance. So that can give you an idea. If you have the patience, time and money to maintain the car. go for it they are great cars.

Martin
    The Speed Factor

3. spoolin7

spoolin7 Guest

rx7club.com is about all i can say :) i love my FD more than the world and i'm sure you'll be the same way. it'll require somewhat deep pockets though. more so than i would have ever thought. you can see pics of it in the show off area under mattc's name

4. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

You'll hear a lot of stories about the apex seals giving way and motors blowing. But all I can say is if the engine was poorly maintained then any engine will blow. You take your engine to a QUALITY builder with a reputation of making reliable 13b rotary engines and you'll be fine. In Japan, I saw 700hp+ FC and FD RX7s run consistent and I've never been afraid to own one. They can get expensive due to tthier popularity. Sexy and great handling (FD) cars. You should not be disappointed.

5. spoolin7

spoolin7 Guest

the horror stories are mostly from people who have no idea. i did blow my original motor, but it was my fault, nothing else. there are a few mods you'll want to do right off the bat, to prolong engine life. the factory emissions systems tend to hurt the motor quite a bit. i drove my FD with my new engine 17k miles last year and no problems so far. i now have a t78 on it, pushing 439whp on pump gas. still holding up just fine. you just have to allow more time for maintenance and care. plus, having a good tune will prolong life more than anything

6. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

the customer that we had that had gone through 6 motors before he brought it to us was buyin blocks from Mazda which sells for 1800. damn thats alot of loot. The single turbo is really the way to go on the FD as it eliminates the rats nest of vaccum lines. soooo many vaccum lines. wait till you have to do a vaccum line job on it. its ridiculous. ill post some pics tomorrow of the one we built for you guys to take a look.

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Here is the full info. that is on Autotrader about the car.

Price$15,995
    Mileage94,000
    Exterior ColorRed
    Interior ColorBlack
    Body StyleHatchback
    DoorsTwo Door
    Engine Rotary Engine
    Trans.Manual
    Drive Type2 wheel drive
    VINJM1FD3312P0210274[​IMG]
    Comments: I am the only owner of this great car. I purchased it new from Bill Cook Mazda in August of 1993. It has always been garaged and never seen snow. I have had everything replaced that can be replaced. I never really planned on selling it. Turbos (New Turbos-not rebuilt), motor (Mazda motor), AST, Koni shocks, Greddy stainless exhaust with downpipe, Defi Boost Gauge, Michelin Pilot tires, clutch, rebuilt transmission. All work has been done by dealer. I am attaching a copy of a engine compression test from Bill Cook. I really haven't been driving the car since I got my 911. Stock Touring Package 5 speed manual transmission, twin turbos, no modifications. Engine installed last summer. Oil changed every 3,000 miles. Car is in excellent condition. I want to keep it but I just have too many cars in the driveway.

8. spoolin7

spoolin7 Guest

sounds like a nice car, but you can find similar ones cheaper if you look harder

9. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I wasn't necessarily going to buy that one. But it does sound very nice. He seems negotiable on the price, too. I wouldn't buy until my birthday in October as I'd have more money coming in and I get a huge insurnace break and one of my last three tickets comes off my policy. I'll save almost $900 a year

10. sub9lulu

sub9lulu LSx RX-7 in progress krew

they are nice car when they are running fine

11. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Something else to consider that may or may not matter, you can get a Cosmo20b triple rotary engine from Japan. Some guy made a custom 4 rotor FD, but I think thats a bit overkill and more $$$$ than is really necessary outside a show car. I've only heard good things about Cork Sport up in Oregon.

Oh, and spoolin7 is right about people who don't know squat about rotaries tend to badmouth them more than anyone else. Get in with knowlegeable people, use common snese and care, and you should do fine.

12. spoolin7

spoolin7 Guest

i talked to cam worth of pettit racing at the rotary revolution. a good 20b swap will run in excess of $20k. also talked to the owner of the rx7club forum while i was there and he said he's easliy got that much wrapped up in his 20b swap. i'd love to do it, but that's just too much money. crazy power tho

13. BigPerm

BigPerm Guest

I wouldn't sell it. Im on my thrid. My latest is a mint CYM. Should be running 9's soon.

ErnieT.

http://www.vosko.net/media/dragracing/ernie/

14. finalflash

finalflash New Member

Queen Street Smash Repairs in sydney were the first people in the aftermarket world to built a custom quad rotor engine.. they put it ina bmw e36.. and it is Fkn quick !!!
    their next project is a quad rotor in a ferrari 355 spider!!
    www.queenstsmash.com.au

oh and as to buying a rx7.. dont think about it .. just do it..!!

15. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

As long as you have a beater and the patience to learn about rotaries, then you'll love it.

oh, and www.rx7club.com has everything you need to know...

16. Boost

Boost world builder

i love my fd but i still don't recommend them to anyone who doesn't have lots of extra cash to blow. on that car, expect rear bushings to be bad. new radiator would be a good idea.

17. tobagator

tobagator But see drugs and plastic thugs, ain't gon change

how does the 3 rotor affect the weight balance of the car? cause more understeer or not noticeable?