Mazda 3 vs Honda Civic

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Drifter87, May 1, 2009.

1. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I finally test drove the cars, and right now it is a toss up between these two cars.

Honda LX-S:
    MSRP: $18,700 (includes destination)
    26/34mpg
    140hp
    128tq
    5spd manual
    Alloy Wheels

Pros:
    -Very Reliable (my family owns mostly Hondas, they lasted us 8-10 years each with minimal work)
    -Cheap To Fix (from experience)
    -Great MPG according to owners (35-40mpg)
    -Good Handling, decent pickup

Cons:
    -Steering wheel is small (felt wierd)
    -Cheap interior
    -Rear Drum Brakes

Mazda 3 iTouring:
    MSRP: $18,170 (includes destination)
    25/33mpg
    148hp
    135tq
    5spd manual
    Alloy Wheels

Pros:
    -Front + Rear Disc brakes
    -DSC + TCS (Good for the snow, I live in a place with lots of it)
    -Nice Interior
    -Good Handling, I cant say much about pickup, since I drove the one with 167hp because they did not have a148hp manual on the lot).

Cons:
    -Mazda Unreliable (Mother's Miata goes to the shop every month with a new problem since the first month she bought it new)
    -Expensive Parts (that is what I am told)
    -Okay gas mileage (I have read 25-30mpg actual)

Pretty much what I am looking for is a car with great MPG, reliability, will last 10 years, and cheap to repair. Honestly this car is to be my go to and from work and make those long trips home.

I plan to pickup a RX7 FC, Supra Mark 3, MR2 AW11, 300zx Z31, or anything else old, rwd, manual, and cheap that is fun to drive for when I want to have some real fun.

2. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

Honda all day long, if for no reason other than resale.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Get the Mazda. My family has owned multiple Mazdas, and they've all been reliable and long-lasting, the bang:buck ratio is better than Honda, and they cost less to repair.

4. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

:hsugh:

5. Drifter87

So why the Honda?

They seem to cost about the same...

That is good to hear yours have been reliable!

I have been hearing Honda is cheaper to repair because the parts are made in the USA.

6. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I'd get the mazda, but that's just personal opinion entirely.

I know several people with newer mazdas and none of them seem to have any problems with theirs.

Your mom just must not take of her miata correctly, the dude at the store at the top of the hill has had his '90 or '91 model for ages with several hundred thousand miles on its original engine. The convertible top is a bit raggidy but the rest of the car is in tip-top shape. He only uses it as a sometimes-driver now, he has like, an altima, a dodge ram and a mercedes something all under 3 years old..he pulls in major bank running that gas station.

7. Drifter87

I am starting to lean towards the Mazda because of the better brakes, TCS, and DSC. Plus I liked the dealer, he let me drive the RX8 just for kicks. Ontop of that I asked him the top speed of the Mazda 3 and he showed me, well almost, we got up to 110mph when he drove it.

My Mom's Miata issues are mostly electrical, ie Radio, clock, horn, lights, etc... just stop working. The driver seat would make a metal on metal sound (my mom is only 130lbs, so it was not do to her weight), the check engine light always came on (turned out the gas cap needed replacement), and the brakes use to squeek, dealer told us that was natural and there was nothing wrong (turned out the brakes were missing a part).

Then my Dad took the car in, and now almost all the problems are fixed. It is kinda sad that they called my Mom crazy and told her she knew nothing about cars, yet for my Dad they nearly replaced everything and were afraid of him coming back.

Most of this happened within 6-9 months of owning the car, and we almost qualified for lemon laws (same thing breaks 3x in a certain time period). So honestly its hard to say she does not take care of the car, when she has not had it long enough to really damage it.

The problems over these past couple of years are just random electical. Like her lights just stop working or the radio's display is completely blank.

So that is why I hesitate to get a Mazda...

8. Drifter87

I am starting to learn more towards the Mazda. Apparently the actual MPG I was reading about was from people with the Mazda Speed 3. So now the cars are almost dead even...

Honda = Lighter (181lbs lighter)
    Mazda = Better brakes + TCS + DSC

From what I am reading the Mazda is faster, even though it is heavier with only 8hp more.

9. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Larger power band = win in the Mazda.

The Mazda is definitely the better car. Though I dont have experience with the smaller motor, only the larger one. Over all the interior is designed well and is pretty comfortable considering it's an econobox. They also have killer handling and a very stiff chassis.

But mentioning resale and repair costs...it's a toss up. I like the styling of the Mazda more, even though it's almost 100% chick car material. :noes:

10. mute

mute New Member

performance = mazda
    everything else = honda

11. PcH

PcH Guest

$18k for a Honda or Mazda :hsugh:

12. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

if you even remotely like driving at all, get the Mazda, but don't plan on keeping it for 10 years.

13. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

:hsugh: they perform almost identically...

14. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

Srsly look at it this way.....how many 10 year old Protege's do you see on the road vs. a comparable year civic...It has to be at least a 10:1 ratio...mazdas are great cars for the first couple years and then they go to shit.

15. Drifter87

The driving performance was pretty much the same up until braking. Yes I do love driving, but that is why I have a 300zx in my garage. I am looking for a DD with great MPG.

Only if the Honda's interior was not so cheaply made and it had disc brakes all around, this decision would be easier.

Think I could get 6-8 years / 100k miles with just tires and oil out of the Mazda?

16. GammaRadiation

:hsugh:

I see almost as many Mazda 626's, MX-6's 323's, and Miaras on the road as I do accords and civics.

17. deusexaethera

I guess it would make sense if more Honda parts are made in the USA nowadays, but Mazda uses lots of Ford parts (chosen at Mazda's discretion), so the import effect is minimal either way. Mazda also requires yearly training classes for their mechanics; I don't know if Honda does the same, but I'm not trying to imply they don't -- I just know that Mazda does.

I've driven a few Hondas, and they were definitely competent cars that I would feel comfortable driving to work every day, but Mazda's design philosophy from day 1 has been to make the user interface as good as possible, and it shows in the way they handle and the way the controls feel.

18. Drifter87

Mazda's cars do interface well with the driver. Everything is setup so it is easy to access the controls, the driving is very precises, the manual shift is smooth, and it defiantly has awesome braking.

Ugh I hate Ford. There are way to many horror stories my family has had with Ford. I think by the time I was done telling you them, I would have written a book.

I hope the Ford parts Mazda does select are of high quality. Then again the Mazda mechanics can never seem to fix my mom's Miata the first time. Always takes the 2nd or 3rd try to get it right. So maybe a combo of poor mechanics and parts?

19. bbmobbin

bbmobbin OT Supporter

just get a used ek coupe.

20. deusexaethera

I dunno, I've never had that experience. The mechanics that work on my parents' Mazdas can fix just about anything in a day. Then again, they might just be soaking your mom for cash, because "women are dumb like that", or so the perception seems to be.

Ford parts are actually pretty good. It's just the cars that have sucked until recently.

21. Drifter87

really hard to soak my mom for cash when its under warranty lol.

22. johan

johan Active Member

Prob nothing to do with cash, and more to do with wanting to just do the minimal for a woman and get rid of her.

Either she won't know the diff (what was working/broke), or she was whiney/bitchey/annoying.

Much harder to pull that off with a guy who knows what's up mechanically.
    And most guys dont do the whiney bitch thing, so you'll actually listen to them.

23. donson

donson New Member

i was in this situation a few months ago. i went with the mazda 3 hb.

civic is cheaper, gets better gas mileage but offers less standard equipment and overall feel of the mazda felt better. driving-wise they're both limited in the "fun" category but the mazda blows the civic out of the water, imo.

and if yo'ure looking at the 2009 mazda's, im sure they're blowing em out now that the '10's are here..?

24. GammaRadiation

2010 mazda 3 is fugly as all get out.

The 6 looks good, though.

25. Drifter87

I could see the mechanics not treating her right just because shes a woman.

The '10 2.0L Mazda gets almost the same gas as the civic (1mpg less than the civic), but to me they both drove the same until it came down to the braking. Plus I liked the Mazda's Manual gear box better. It felt smoother when shifting.

I liked the new Mazda 3's look over the old.

2010:
    [​IMG]

2009:
    [​IMG]