MIL Maybe you guys can give a different perspective (long)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maffy29, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

My National Guard unit sucks because the First Sergeant sucks.

Here's why:

When I first joined the unit 18 months ago, the first sergeant was the readiness NCO (in charge of unit manning, etc) and that is a full time (AGR) job. A Sergeant Major in the battalion retired and the old first sergeant was next in line for promotion. Great for him as it was much deserved. So the next in line for promotion to be the first sergeant was my unit's readiness NCO. He was the acting first sergeant for a time until the orders came down from the state. Bottom line is the guy is a great paper pushing office worker, but couldn't lead soldiers down a straight line. This past September, my entire brigade gets called to Louisiana in support of hurricane relief efforts. The commander or first sergeant never fought for us at all. Many of the deployed soldiers were staying in an old JC Penny store a the local mall (in a/c), while we baked in a tent down the road in 100 degree heat. We could have had it, but the commander never spoke up. When Hurricane Rita moved in, we were still in said tent. Why didn't we move to shelter? The first sergeant said he had to wait for word from brigade before we could move. Why wasn't he hearing from brigade? They were taking shelter from the hurricane. How could you fault a command for looking out for the best interest of their soldiers? I guess the bottom line is when I joined the unit 18 months ago, I was promised an E5 slot upon me completing reclass training. I completed training and my slot was given to somebody else. Since then, I've been passed over for two other soldiers because of a disagreement over me. I was sent back from Primary Leadership Development Training due to an injury. At the time I was on ADSW orders, working in my MOS, with another unit. The first sergeant tried to tell the lieutenant I was working for how my rehab and physical training should be handled. The lieutenant didn't take kindly to that and got the battalion CSM involved. I'm sure that didn't turn out well for my first sergeant. I've been paying for this ever since. I want to re-enlist. I like the Army and the PA National Guard. I have no problem doing another 6 years for the benefits (bonus, 100% tuition assistance, etc). My current unit is only 20 minutes from my house and I'd like to stay, but I can't if I keep getting passed up for promotion. Should I bring my concerns up to somebody or just find a new unit?

I'd be happy to answer and questions and/or listen to comments. I'll check back frequently.

2. darnit

darnit New Member

find a new unit
    sounds like your in the "1000 atta boys are erased by one o shit" unit.
    If you can move on, I would

3. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Which base? Which mall :eek3: I'm from the 'burgh

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

New unit. Without a single hesitation.

5. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

and im in a similar situation eccept im active duty :coolugh:

6. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Replying to your comments in order:

I do not have it in writing and at the time, there were lots of open slots for E5s when I joined the unit. I've now learned from giving the Army the benefit of the doubt.

I was not counseled at all. I came back from training and found two of the E4s I worked with both promoted. I didn't really have much to say as both soldiers had more time in service than me. There is an OML for the unit. How would I get to see that?

I was hurt during morning PT during PLDC. I couldn't continue the course, so I had to be sent back. I was on ADSW (active duty special work) during the time I went to PLDC. ADSW is where m-day National Guard soldiers help out full time. They needed soldiers in my MOS to help with tech support out at Fort Indiantown Gap. I was on orders for full time status making regular Army pay and benefits. The orders had me attached to the unit at FTIG, PA. When I was sent back, my first sergeant decided that he wanted to make sure that after my profile was up that I was keeping up on PT. He also told the lieutenant I was working for that he needed to counsel me on being sent back and how my PT should be handled. This was where the disagreement came into play. The LT said that they had operational control over me since I was on orders and that was the final decision that was made. I have though about contacting IG, but not sure if I could make anything hold up.

I do want to stick around, more than anything, but its hard to get motivated about anything for drill weekend when I hate some of these people so bad.

7. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

The mall thing was when we were down in Louisiana for hurricane relief. I may have forgot to specify that.

8. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Probably 2 years? I'm sure he'd hold the spot for as long as he could if possible.