Maybe buying a car but need some input

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by THT, Sep 15, 2005.

1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I currently drive a 96 Maxima that's been modified pretty heavily but no FI. It's got less than 87,000 miles on it and is mechanically fine. Additionally, the exterior glows as I wash and seal the car once a week. Lately, I have had an itch to buy a new G35 coupe and I just can't shake the itch. Usually, it goes away after a day or two and I go on with life. But for the better part of a week, I find myself thinking of a new car, specifically, the G35c. I'm 18 months shy of 25 so if I were to buy the G, I'd be paying much higher insurance premiums for a year and a half.

Additionally, I would be putting down 5K and financing the rest. I would like to keep my Maxima unless I can find a good home for it (read: car enthusiast who doesn't mind the fact that it's modded). But at the same time, I realize it isn't practical for a single male to own two cars except in the rare instance when the daily driver is down. I make enough money that I can easily afford the monthly payments on the G so money isn't an issue. Any thoughts?

2. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Buying a new car is rarely a practical thing.

Practical would be selling the Max and buying a used Sentra and putting the profit in an investment.

If you can afford it, buy it. You only live once, and money is made to be spent.

3. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I've been thinking of looking for a low mileage 03/04 G35c so I don't get hit with the initial depreciation in value. But you're right, buying a new car when my current one is fine is not practical.