MIL May try to enlist in the Marines.....again.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by General Dissary, Feb 2, 2006.

1. General Dissary

General Dissary New Member

Hello all. I am a 19 year old sophomore in college and recently a USMC recruiter approached me and we started talking about enlisting.

The problem is that I already tried joining the Marines and everyother US military branch my Senior year of high school.

I even went through like 3 different Army Recruiters. The thing is I was born with an ear deformity and as a result I have bad hearing on my left ear, but it has never been a problem.

The last time I tried to enlist, which was a few years ago I was told I had a permantently disqualifying condition or something. I tried to get waivers, wrote to my congressmen and all that, but I was pretty much told I couldnt get in.

I told the Marine Sgt. trying to recruit me all this but he says he still wants to give it a shot.

My question is how likely am I to get in? I really doubt anything will come of this but who knows, maybe things have changed since they have been struggling to meet enslistment requirements.

So has anyone here gotten a waiver for hearing loss or anything similar? Or any new enlistees found them to be a little more lenient on the requirements?

Although I am doing well in school I would leave to basic tomorow if they would let me, serving has been something I always wanted to do. So any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

My recruiter and my OSO have both told me there are waivers for damn near everything but blindness, being stuck in a wheelchair, and felonies. Good luck to you.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

I can't offer you any advice, but good luck man, I hope you get a waiver and get in.

4. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

i would stick out college if you can, maybe look at ROTC or OCS as an option. if you're doing well in school and only have a couple more years to go, get the degree.

the military will always be there. most people who take "time off" from school never go back :hs:

5. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

good luck :hs:

6. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

yeah good luck dude. I guess just keep the pressure on your recruiter.

7. General Dissary

Thanks all! And yes I am considering OCS since I do like college.

But there is also a problem with the Dr. at the MEPS I would go through. All of my recruiters say he looks for things to disqualify you for. I hope he isnt there anymore.

And I was told that my problem was PERMANENTLY disqualifying, I dont know if it was just for the Army, but they made it seem like there was no way around it. Anyone here a recruiter or know about this type of thing?

I am pretty sure my only chance would be if the rules have changed since I last tried to get in. Cause a couple of years of trying to get waivers and all that got me no where.

8. Basal

Basal OT Supporter

if it's not really a problem, then don't mention it. i don't think they do a hearing test at MEPS (correct me if i'm wrong). one definite solution is for you to get your ear checked out by your civilian doc, have him write up that you're good to go, then take that paper to the recruiter. he'll get a waiver faster than fucking superman. trust me, recruiters (ESP. Marine recruiters)want to enlist you more than you wanna join.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  9. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I would say your fate is in the hands on MEPS.

10. Dash

Dash math is :o

MEPS does a hearing test along with everything else, I just had it done last weekend. I'm not sure what the scale of numbers meant but I had the full range between my two ears and I'm still good to go, so who knows?

11. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

True, he could probably get through MEPS, but I don't want to be outside the wire with a buddy that can't hear.

12. General Dissary

Yeah I thought about trying to not mention it, but when you get close the surgery I had on my ear is pretty noticable. So that would probably bring up questions or concerns about my hearing since my deformity almost always has hearing loss associated with it. And any Dr. familiar with it or who would even look it up wouldnt be fooled.

....then there is the jail time for lying about that sort of thing. :eek3:

And I did get a pysical and hearing test along with a written statement from my Dr. Didnt do shit.

The asshole Dr. at meps or whoever the hell makes those decisions wouldnt even let the Army give me a physical or hearing test. It may look bad on paper, but I think I could function as a soldier in spite of everything, although I wouldnt try to be a ranger or anything and put me or others in danger.

All this happened with my last recruiter who was either pretty lazy or knew what he was up against cause the whole process took months. So I pretty much tried everything to get a waiver, etc. Any other ideas?

I just need a chance to pysical, I am pretty confident I can change their minds once they give me a hearing test or pysical. But I have no idea how to get them to, there is really no way I can make them. And the hearing test, pysical, and statement from my Dr.s apparently wasnt good enough.

So realistically I doubt anything else can be done since I think I have about tried everything, but maybe someone here can help me?