May have a pioneer sx 850 avaliable to use.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by speedricer, Apr 7, 2005.

1. speedricer

speedricer Go SpeedRicer Gooooo

I know it's old but it seems to be pimp. It's my mom's b/f's reciever. He said he used it a LONG time ago. Had it new since the mid-late 70's. He said it puts out some major power. So anyway. I'm thinking about maybe using it if he'll allow me to. Pick up a good cd changer and find some good speakers. Well My qustion is, What brand/type speakers would you recommend I try. Not sure on price range. Maybe $300-500 for the speakers.

2. speedricer

speedricer Go SpeedRicer Gooooo

also wondering if you think that this thing is worth trying to use. I hate for it to collect dust and i'll just use it to jam some music. :dunno:

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

A 30 year old receiver might need some parts replaced, like transistors or caps. Also, check the volume control to make sure no distortion is introduced into the system when changing the volume. I don't know anything about the receiver, but you might be disappointed unless it was a pretty high end model back in the day. Who knows.

As for speakers... first off I'll recommend my own speakers. NHT SB-3. Can be had for under $500 (not locally though). They are very nice bookshelfs, so you'll need a subwoofer if you play anything with stuff down low. Most rock, alt, and classical you should be satisifed with though. Polk Audio's Lsi7 would also be a good choice, as well as the Paradigm Atom, or the Epos ELS-3. I think they can all be had for under $500, some will be more difficult to find than others though.

The used market would be a good place to look as well, since speakers hold up pretty well over time unless they are abused.

I'd try the receiver out, just be careful when turning the volume up in case it is busted and distorts badly.