May be joining Jeep crew

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by chakup, Mar 26, 2007.

1. chakup

chakup Guest

Looking at a '99 Cherokee and the only thing wrong with it is they were out hunting and the passenger side engine mount got snagged and needs to be rewelded- how big of a problem could this cause and what should I be looking for? Lady said her grandpa rewleded it but it's a tad off. Said she's drove it for 2 years since and has been fine.

2. chakup

chakup Guest

FWIW went and looked and test drove and everything appears fine, having my mechanic give it a look over.

3. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

How do you snag a motor mount?

4. chakup

chakup Guest

she didn't know what her uncle did to it. He was out hunting/drinking and did something. I'm having it looked over tomorrow by my mechanic.

5. chakup

chakup Guest

I looked briefly and couldn't see anything. From driving it I think he may have bent track bar or tie rod. has that nice sloppy steering.

6. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

snagging a MM??? not possible ... he either hit soemthing hard enough to bust it ot he knows how to use the skinny pedal to get up some nasty hill climbs.

look at the placement of the tires in relation to the body ... if one sticks out farther than the other, then the tracbar is bent ...

tierod ... get off your ass, get under the jeep, and look at it ... IIRC the ZJ only has one factory bend in it at the passenger side knuckle ... other than that it would be straight ... but 'sloppy steering' doesnt seem like a TR to me ... a bent TR will just cause the truck to ignore steering input until you get anough pressure on the tires to make the vehicle turn ... and when it turnsm its turns like there is no tomorrow ... basically making it dangerous to drive ...

sloppy steering is usually caused by a bad / worn Tierod end (TRE), or Dragrod end (DRE .... both TRE and DRE are the same, i just like to differentiate between the two)

7. chakup

chakup Guest

sorry yes I ment TRE. And I was in my work clothes when I went to look at it!! Dropped it off last night and a quick look over his guess is same as mine TRE, yes I said tierod but ment the tie rod ends sorry. So hopefully cheap/easy fixes ahead and some new tires and i'm rocking

8. affende

werd ... TREs can be changed out in about 30 minutes or less .... they run about $40 each for the good ones that you want...

9. chakup

chakup Guest

Can you point me in the direction of an upgrade for tierod and ends? figure I'll go over as much as I can here. Also any suggestions on a trackbar?

10. chakup

chakup Guest

OK life is great. RE tierod and ends enroute, getting new ball joints, drag link as well. The mount from the lca to differential is what got shot. so:
    99 cherokee with under 80k miles for $3k and ~$1k in parts/labor. I'm happy.

11. affende

LCA to diff??? the lower control arm doesnt mount to the diff ....

12. chakup

chakup Guest

I probably messed up what he said as I was writing everything down and part hunting. It's the passenger side differential mount.

I'm happy though- said and done will be about $4k for a '99 XJ sport with 78k miles on it.

13. affende

that makes no sense to me whatsoever ... the only mounting point on the differential is where the chunk meets the pumpkin ... and if that is broken ro tweaked, have fun.

14. chakup

chakup Guest

I can try to get picks when I drop off parts. I haven't been back by the shop yet. Was told $300 to remove old part, fab up new one and get put back together.

15. affende

werd ... pics STAT

16. IslanderOffRoad

I think he's talking about the upper control arm on the lt front, with the offset diff its more or less right on the top of the pumpkin

17. chakup

chakup Guest

OK either I'm high or heard wrong or something, here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New mount should be done and welded on tomorrow and everything tidied up by thursday.

18. affende

that is the lower control arm mounting bracket that got ripped off ... it doesnt mount to the diff, it mounts to the axle houing / axle tube

have fun with that as if it isnt in fectory spec, you will have some nice problems. make sure your mechanic/ welder knows what he is doing.

19. IslanderOffRoad

Instead of doing that, I'd hit the junkyard and find a new front axle, then you know its in the right spot. Should be able to get a used Dana 30 for under 200 bucks

20. affende

shit ... you find them cheaper than that ...

but x2 ... dont deal with that shit man, it asking for trouble ... get a junkyard axle from a pick-n-pull or from a buddy .... itll be 10x easier

21. IslanderOffRoad

Cali FTL

Junkyard axles are $165 at most yards here.

22. affende

thats not bad ... most here run you abour 250 unless you find someone that knows how big a piece of shit the D30 is ... then they give it away lol