maximizing airflow: need help and advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jay, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

I have an Antec 1080B case. I want to maximize the airflow with the fans that I currently have. I have 5 80mm fans (only 3 are installed since I just got the other 2 recently):
    3 Antec fans that came with the case (34.4 cfm I think)
    1 YS TEch 80x25 Adjustable fan (10.2 ~ 49.5cfm)
    1 Vantec Stealth 80x25 casefan (27cfm)

how do I configure the fans so that I get max. airflow? right now, I have 2 blowing out from the rear and 1 blowing in from the front just below the last quick release drive bay and the side open.

I can fit 2 more fans, 1 in the last quick release bay and 1 on the side casing which is not in place (the blowhole). this is what the inside looks like http://antec-inc.com/pdf/plus1060.pdf

my hsf is an slk-800 with another 80mm ys tech adjustable fan.
    (I also have another 60mm Thermaltake fan from my Volcano7+ available if needed)

**I posted this in 2 other forums (computer forums, that is) :o**

2. Dommi

Dommi Guest

my guess would be (wihtout seeing the case) that you would probably want to draw in air to the cooler area of the case, while has a direct flow to the hot spots. draw air out of the hotter area of the case where the distance between it isnt so big

what other tech forums?

3. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

[H] forums and AMDMB forums

4. Dommi

Dommi Guest

you probably want a fan blowing cool air in a wide dispertion. while you want the exhaust fans to concentrate on exhausting only the hot air...
    but a blow hole for exhaust might be a good idea. '

5. Jay

Jay My shit don't stink

thanks guys :bigthumb:

config is gonna look like this:
    2 Antec fans (34.3 cfm 30dba) rear as exhaust
    1 Antec and 1 YS Tech Variable in the fron with the YS being on the very bottom; both as intake
    1 Vantec Stealth on the side panel - exhaust

now, should the one on the side be exhaust or intake? negative pressure inside would cause dust and gaps to come in but I read somewhere that it would be better even with the dust factor. hoever, postive pressure would feed my drives and components with air which should keep it cooler. :dunno:
    I'll guess I'll just experiment and see for myself.

and thanks for the drummel advice, but I'm too damn lazy for all that work :o

6. Dommi

Dommi Guest

there is such a thing as a dust guard. should eliminate most dust frrom the case
    if you really are concerned with negative air flow then I suggest not increasing the ambient temp in the case to a point where it necissitates a lot of extra cooling