MAX Upgrade

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Atlantis, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

I'm going to be giving away my HP Pavilion 7855, but before I do; I thought the lease I should do is upgrade it to the MAX (as possible). I'm so use to building PC's & know the full specs. Guess that's the problem about name-brand clones, is sometimes things are not always as stated.

Anyways, below is a link on what HP says the computer should have been shipped with & I noticed a few small things that are different from my own.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph06463#N10034

Mostly trying to figure (for sure), what motherboard I have in here. HP says it should be ASUS, but Belarc Advisor tells me it's made by Trigem Computer, Inc. Cognac. I opened the computer, but found no make model or name (odd).

The only reason I'm looking into this, is I'm thinking of upgrading the Processor from 1GHz (Pentium III Socket 370) too maybe something a little higher & am unsure if it could support it. I've already replaced the standard 128 SDram (100Bus) with 512SDram (133Bus) four years ago.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if I could do this? I'm looking to go as high as maybe 1.4Ghz, but anything higher; then what it has now, would be good (that & I'm sure I can't go any higher).

And yes, they do have CPU's that go above 1Ghz on a Socket 370. Don't know why so many people say, they don't. :rolleyes:

Also, does anyone know how high of a hard drive I could go? Don't think I'll upgrade it (using a WD 60GB), but it would be good to know.

Belarc Advisor = Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.06 02/23/01 (not sure if that's right)

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

a) Yes you can replace the CPU, but I don't think it's a good bang for your buck job. CPU speed really isn't that important now that we've hit 1.00 Ghz. I mean don't get me wrong, in some very weird tests and apps, you'll see a difference, but the real key to performance is getting rid of the bottleneck, and the CPU is RARELY the bottleneck these days.

b) Without knowing the exact BIOS and whether it's upgradeable, not sure how far you could go with the HD. But if I were you, I'd add more RAM and HD space before I touched the CPU.

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

good idea

4. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

I if could, I would add more RAM, but it's already at it's Max. The motherboard will not take anything higher then 512SDram (133Buss). :wtc: Truth be told, more ram always give a system more kick to it.

That's why I want to know, if I could upgrade the cpu further; before I give this to my sister. Been telling her I could build a better pc, then anything she'd get in the store or even this HP, but she wants this one. :dunno:

5. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

:rofl:

I'd sell it, but not to many people I know locally are dumb enough to buy this, when they could get a New eMachine at Wallmart for less, with high specs. :hs:

6. 5Gen_Prelude

I can give you 99% guarantee that even if you find the best chip that that MB supports, your sister will never know the difference.

7. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

Ya, you maybe right. But I still would like to do it, just the same. It will keep her off of mine & also, I won't have to hear in 6 months or so, that she needs a new computer, cause the pc isn't fast enough.

I still have to get a new video card. The pc uses the shared ram, for video. Right now it reads 32MB, with the newest drivers (was 16MB). Finding a PCI video card with more then 32MB is being a pain (don't think they make any, but someone said they do).

The only other thing I plan on doing, is giving it a better CPU fan (as I'll have too if I upgrade the cpu) & finally add a ram cooling kit. I'd give the hard drive a fan also, but I think that's a bit over the top & I really don't want to be adding a new power supply.

Back on topic; Does anyone know if I could really upgrade the CPU?

8. 5Gen_Prelude

Okay, do what you want. You are kidding yourself if you think you can tell the difference between your system now, and your system with a 1.4 Ghz chip in it without using a benchmarking tool.

9. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

I know your right & personally, I could care less. As you've said, it really will not make much of a difference. But she said she wanted it setup to max standards (as possible for this computer) & she's paying for the parts.

She'll get what she wants & what ever she's willing to pay.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

Well, even if it is your sister I'd find out the price, bill her, and keep the money :rofl:

11. 5Gen_Prelude

Wait a minute, I TOTALLY forgot!

Pics of sis? :x:

12. Atlantis

Atlantis Guest

Guess it's worth asking 1 more time.

Is it possible to upgrade my CPU & if so, how high?

Also, anyone know about what kind of video card I could think about using?