Max-OT, any of you guys heard of it?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Inferno, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inferno

Inferno New Member

http://www.ast-ss.com/maxot.php

Wikipedia says,

I'm thinking of starting this routine. I was originally doing p90x, but quite honestly there are many factors that aren't appealing to me including the program itself (resistancebands/pullups :rl:) and I just dont feel as motivated at home vs. the gym.

Anyways, a friend recommended to try this routine. Its still 12 weeks but its much different from p90x and they have very contrasting views. For example, with p90x youre working out some muscle groups every other day, with this routine they're saying its counter-productive and to wait at least 5 days.

Although my largest concern is how many reps they're saying to do. With almost every excersize, each set has to be between 4-6. reps. Now, as far as I know, this'll build muscle.. but my main goal is to loose fat while gaining definition/muscle. I thought 10-12 reps was the most effective way of doing this :dunno: I'm still going to maintain my 30 min of cardio pre-workout, but I'm not looking to get bateman jacked, just some definition :o

2. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

there's also: Bill Starr, starting strength, 5/3/1, etc

all follow the rule of progressive overload, it's nothing new bro

3. Inferno

Inferno New Member

But how does it compliment my goal to lose fat and build definition?

4. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

It doesn't, but you'll gain strength/size.

5. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

To your original question, the difference in rep schemes will be negligible. Without knowing anything about you it would be hard for anyone to give you advice.

6. dmaestro

dmaestro New Member

yeah that was a fat F&N max ot bandwagon like 5 years ago, do a search.

7. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Hmmm I can't find the thread..

I was under the impression that regardless of my body weight and stuff, higher reps = burn more fat and build definition.

Should I look for a diff program then or just do this to build some initial muscle then switch it up after the programs done? Is it possible/easier to build definition from just size/strenght?

8. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

what is definition? Is it bigger muscles? Is it lower fat? Burning more calories and eating less makes you less fat. Lifting lighter weights doesn't burn more fat. Think about it.

Advice is ignore all this shit and read the stickies.

9. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

you need to spend a little time in the stickies

10. .::Rotten Apple::.

.::Rotten Apple::. OT Supporter

well if nothing else you should be following the P90X nutrition guide if you're mainly interested in losing fat. Use phase 1 for two months or so.

11. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

losing fat and building definition are the same thing.

12. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Alright sorry, I wasn't very clear with what I meant, Ive read the stickies as well as many other articles.

Currently, I'm trying to eat very clean. My goal is to lose fat/build muscle. Currently I'm at 6' 2" @ 205 lbs, and none of that is muscle mass :hsugh:

I've been following a pretty decent diet for the last couple weeks, each day my meals only consist of the following:
    chicken breasts
    veggies
    fruit
    slimfast
    oatmeal
    protien shakes
    tuna
    creatine
    salmon
    coffee
    green tea
    water

I'm eating every 3-4 hours, trying not to eat before bed, watching my portions, etc. Although I'm not particularly counting calories/fat/protien/carbs.. maybe I should start? I also run about 6km/4.5 mi, 4-5 times per week :dunno:

Anyways, thats what I'm currently doing to lose fat, although I was going to keep this diet while doing p90x, since it compliments the program well. Now, my only real big question is that SINCE this routine is substantially different from p90x, is it still possible to lose fat and build muscle/definition by doing this low rep routine and by keeping the same diet? I know that working out in general helps burn fat due to simply the calories burned from lifting + it boosts your metabolism for hours after wards, correct? Or is that mainly for higher rep routines?

I always hear ppl say they're "cutting" or "bulking", but my diet resembles someone thats cutting and my workout resembles one meant for bulking, right? ... or maybe I have my terms mixed up :hsugh:

13. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Pick a goal. Too many people get caught spinning their wheels. If you are a newbie, even when dieting, you will be gaining some muscle.

Regardless, pick a goal. Lose fat or build muscle.

Weights still are to be used heavily.. but the routine doesn't really matter. Jusdt that you are lifting with intensity.

14. Inferno

Inferno New Member

:rant: this is what I dont understand, people always say theyre either cutting or bulking.. why cant you do both? :hsugh:

15. NUDES

NUDES New Member

If this is a serious question heres a serious answer.

Cutting = lose fat

Bulking = gain muscle

Bulking requires above maintenence calories to add muscle tissue to your body.

Cutting requires below maintenence calories to reduce bodyfat from your body.

When you are in a caloric surplus, you cannot lose fat (beyond being a newbie)

When you arei n a caloric deficit, you cannot gain muscle (beyond being a newbie). Your body doesn't have enough calories to begin a muscle building process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.