COMIC 'mature' anime recomendations ?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by smell my finger, Mar 9, 2004.

1. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

what are some great series, preferably lesser known, that are intened for an older audience.

im looking for action/blood and violence/powerfull stories/ass-kicking characters.

:x:

(if it helps, im currently watching mezzo dsa, naruto, full metal alchemist, rahxephon, gunslinger girls)

2. subaru kun

subaru kun New Member

3. smell my finger

yah, im looking for some more mature stuff, which is why i posted this :hs: although gunslinger girls tells a really good story who's relationships would be over the heads of most teenage kids. and full metal alchemestis defintally isn't a kid's show.

ive seen berserk, liked it .. gligamesh didn't do anything for me in the first couple episode so i stoped watching ... ill check out the other two.

4. smell my finger

if you think gunslinger is substancless, you're missing the point :hs: ... it is completely character-driven, with the style and atmosphere and setting to amplify the relationships

5. smell my finger

:hug:

6. kimochi iii

kimochi iii Guest

FMA = win

It depends on how you define mature; I personally don't think mature = dark. :dunno:

No one listed Cowboy Bebop yet? :hs:
    Can't really come up with many at the moment...Berserk, Gungrave, Gundam 08th Team, Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, Macross Plus, R.O.D TV (Read or Dream), Saikano (She, the Ultimate Weapon)...

...Azumanga Daioh :mamoru:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2004
  7. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

Now and Then, Here and There
    the greatest

8. kimochi iii

kimochi iii Guest

If you haven't watched past episode 7, you're missing out. It gets a lot more serious later on but never fails to balance things out with more comedy.

Hard to argue, but 3 episodes just isn't enough! You might as well watch the rest...:hs:

If you ever take the time to analyz--oh wait stop, too much effort, forget it. :rolleyes:

Yah, it was a major flop and didn't live up to its potential, but some of my friends still like it...so I threw it in.

4-episode recap = ultimate :greddy:

9. kimochi iii

kimochi iii Guest

The sky is black! The ocean is red! I left, you wrong :ugh2:

If you can open your mind and take the time to look beyond the fictional aspects, there might be a possiblity that you can appreciate the delicate and intricate human emotions in dire times.

Fruits Basket for human relations? Highschool romance anime drama very much yes? Oh and she's a fucking angel, so unrealistic! I'd recommend Kare Kano and Kimagure Orange Road , but then again they are just other highschool romance anime dramas too!

Grave of the Fireflies...one of the best anime movies, no questions about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2004
  10. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

11. kimochi iii

kimochi iii Guest

Oh god, Now and Then is so fucked-up that it's so good. Too bad I saw it when I was a bit too young for the subjects involved. :hs:

12. kimochi iii

kimochi iii Guest

Can you not detect sarcasm? Even if I wasn't being sarcastic, what was the problem? Obviously you never read the words you spew out. :rolleyes:

FruitsBasket, KareKano, OrangeRoad...orange, apple, banana... good, nice, positive... ever heard of "association"?

13. kimochi iii

kimochi iii Guest

Did I confuse you that much? I'm sorry! :rofl:

Okay, okay, I'll clarify to help you out: I was sarcastic with my comments on Fruits Basket. I like Furuba, too and was merely using it to illustrate how crude your comments on Saikano are. Perhaps "saikano is a stupid melodrama" is just your honest over-simplified opinion, but I just so happen to like the series and feel it has its values. Obviously I'm a retarded dullard for defending or justifying what I like. :hs:

And I believe I've already made my point concerning Saikano; since there's no way in hell you'll bulge from your view, it was utterly unnecessary to continue on my part. Therefore anything I say in the remainder of this thread much be a "nice attempt at trying to cover up my stupidy"...you go!

14. kimochi iii

kimochi iii Guest

The stupidity is so strong in this, I don't know where to start. :wtc:
    -"Highschool romance anime drama" = crude evaluation of Fruits Basket
    -Associating Fruits Basket with Kare Kano and Orange Road indicates that the above comment doesn't reflect my actual opinion.
    How many times do I need to repeat myself before you understand? :confused:

I beg to differ; I'm actually kind of confused by how you make very little sense. :hsugh:

Let's break this down so you won't get confused again:
    Saikano is, undeniably, a melodrama;

True.

it deals with nothing more than highschool kiddie relationships, love triangles, and simply has a facade of war and a girl-turns-into-sarin-gas-and-loses-humanity theme strapped over it to give the genre a twist.

Here's where I disagree. Sure, the war theme has heavy influence on the story, but it's the emotional strain of dealing with survival while trying to sustain their budding and at times fragile relationship. "Highschool kiddie love" doesn't automatically indicate immature crap, in my book; their relationship seems a lot more realistic precisely because it's so clumsy and contradictive, but the two still centered their attentions to each other while struggling to escape from the whole notion that it's an all-out war out there. And then the lovers themselves are flawed; Chise's insecurity and self-doubts about her body, her self-worth, her soul (which you seem to disregard as a twist/gimmick; it can be interpreted as an extension of people's insecurity about their own physical state) and Shuuji's initial nonchalant, indecisive, and insensitive attitude (but ultimately he devoted himself to protect her and cherish their limited time together and happiness) make them very human.

If you simply said "I like it", instead of insinuating that I'm mentally incapable of interpreting it, I would have no problem.

My my the irony is strong. Read your own comments in this thread; anything you dislike you insinuate the other party is incapable of realizing how sucky it is. Why can't I bring the same OT attitude back upon you?

You chose the latter, though, and were accordingly shut down.

Keep making judgements on your own if it makes you feel that much better. :mamoru:
    I'm through with this.

15. kimochi iii

kimochi iii Guest

No it is not--it deals with human relations as you have stated to begin with. Same goes for Saikano/Karekano/KOR. Human relations. The whole "highschoolanimeromance" is aimed at your over-simplified "it is a stupid melodrama that's completely worthless and sucks, same goes for everything else I don't like" attitude...how many times do I have to repeat this? :confused:

I can't believe I actually read through all that shit. :rolleyes: Are you going to dwell on the fact that "I supposedly believe FB is a highschoolanimeromance" or realize the sheer stupidity of "labelling any anime series as such-and-such" like you wonderfully did? And yes, I associate Fruits Basket with KareKano/KO when it comes to "a good show about how people relate to each other."

Do you not realize that you oversimplify anything and everything? And yes, I am pretty much saying that "you're mentally incapable of interpreting it" the same way you deem everyone else...or did you not pick that up as well? :rolleyes: Read your description and mine again. If you can't tell the difference between the two and insist that my description equates yours, then you're truly a lost cause.

Keep making judgements on your own if it makes you feel that much better.

Once again I'm going to help you out here as you're in dire need:

1. Mage says Saikano is a stupid melodrama

2. annoyed, I beg to differ, only in the same way Mage presents all his opinion in previous posts

3. "aiming to shut me down," Mage delivers yet another over-simplified "walkthrough" of Saikano

4. Fruits Basket for human relations? Highschool romance anime drama very much yes? Oh and she's a fucking angel, so unrealistic! I'd recommend Kare Kano and Kimagure Orange Road , but then again they are just other highschool romance anime dramas too! -- entirely a reflection of how narrow-minded Mage can be when he presents his arguments. But to make sure Mage doesn't misinterpret this as a mindless attack on Fruits Basket, I threw in KOR and KareKano. Surely with those two added in the mix, he would realize this is entire sarcastic and by no means did I not like FB or think of it as a mere highschool romance drama.

5. Mage fails to notice and once again goes back to his formula, but this time tries to defend FB when it was utterly unnecessary, dwells on his defense and confuses himself

6. FruitsBasket, KareKano, OrangeRoad...orange, apple, banana... good, nice, positive... ever heard of "association"? -- HUMAN RELATIONS, not romance high school drama. Yes, I fucking associate all three when it comes to human relations, and I'll say it again! Oh, they were mentioned in 4 and described by the repeated label, but by no means did I seriously declare Fruits Basket as a love story. Mage missed this by a mile and decided to use his own misinterpretation as the entire basis of his arguments. :ugh2:

7. Mage is apparently outrage by the "apparent" misinterpretation of FB on my part and goes on forever about it. I am confused.

8. I clarify. Mage ignores clarification and happily goes back to his argument based on his misinterpretation.

9. Mage is apparently outrage by the "apparent" misinterpretation of FB on my part and goes on forever about it. I am confused.

10. Mage is apparently outrage by the "apparent" misinterpretation of FB on my part and goes on forever about it. I fail to realize what's so hard to understand.

11. And with a straight face, Mage claims the following are the same:

A - it deals with nothing more than highschool kiddie relationships, love triangles, and simply has a facade of war and a girl-turns-into-sarin-gas-and-loses-humanity theme strapped over it to give the genre a twist.

and

B - Here's where I disagree. Sure, the war theme has heavy influence on the story, but it's the emotional strain of dealing with survival while trying to sustain their budding and at times fragile relationship. "Highschool kiddie love" doesn't automatically indicate immature crap, in my book; their relationship seems a lot more realistic precisely because it's so clumsy and contradictive, but the two still centered their attentions to each other while struggling to escape from the whole notion that it's an all-out war out there. And then the lovers themselves are flawed; Chise's insecurity and self-doubts about her body, her self-worth, her soul (which you seem to disregard as a twist/gimmick; it can be interpreted as an extension of people's insecurity about their own physical state) and Shuuji's initial nonchalant, indecisive, and insensitive attitude (but ultimately he devoted himself to protect her and cherish their limited time together and happiness) make them very human.

12. Happily convincing himself to be correct, Mage claims "victory."

While there's no doubt you can make arguments based on SOMETHING, your reading comprehension to figure out what that SOMETHING is sorely needs some improvement. Good day.

16. smell my finger

17. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

you guys are reading into it too much

18. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

Cap'n Kirk was a Klingon lover

19. Raviral

Raviral I'm famous, baby OT Supporter

:ugh2:

I recommend Escaflowne

20. ronin warriors - it's got all you guys want to argue about:

- classic high school ninja romance fighting evil bad guys smoking room fag peanut butter!

- 4 magical warriors completely untrained in martial arts but able to self-introduce themselves with flourishes of cherry blossoms!

- gratuitous violence not shown in the series...OR THE ANIME!1!!

- when cobra commander and mum-ra finally decides on they's next house purchaseses, the RONIN WARRIORS ARE THERE TO STOP HIMS!

please make stupid post wars! like Beast Wars, but instead of fairly typical mechanical transforming animals, you have flamers (and i mean like oh so totally flamer flamers!!)!!!!

ibnoavnocaremyoldaccountgotdeletedsostfu