MMA Matt Hughes: "Nobody should write me off just yet"

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, May 11, 2008.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i think matt has written himself off already

3. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Yeah, Im hoping thiago puts his dick in the dirt on this one. Thiago is one game competitior with some bad ass muay thai and on top of that he trains over at top team so he is used anything that hughes will throw at him. As for hughes hes been exposed as a one dimensional fighter. All he has is his ground and pound which is great but he cant punch his way out of a paper bag.

If he got kod by GSP he will get mauled by Thiago. Hopefully he loses this match and then serra can finish his career.

4. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I mean he eats a country breakfast everyday.... :rofl:

Seriously though he hasn't looked good in a real long time. He honestly seems to be losing muscle more frequently between matches. His main weapon, pure strength is becoming the same as his division, and he's not really diverse in his skill set. So I really only see failure ahead for him from an objective standpoint.

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah hughes is pretty much screwed he doesnt have a strong skillset to back him up. He has made a career off of his wrestling skills and athleticism. Unfortunately that atleticism fades with age. So all he has to back him up is his wrestling that isnt going to work on the new breed of fighters because they have wrestling skills that are comparable to his or better. He is over the hill as a fighter and its his fault.

It reminds me of that quote hard work will always beat talent if talent refuses to work hard. Matt hughes refuses to work hard and he doesnt have the talent to beat the new generation of fighters. I honestly cant see matt hughes beating Koscheck, GSP, or some of these other guys in the ww division. If thiago beats him which I think he will that will be pretty much the end of matt hughes. All thats left for him is to fight matt serra and if he loses that he is pretty much done.

Its funny because alot of guys were calling tommy speer the secound comming of hughes. He came into the ufc with all the talent and skills that hughes had when he first started out but tommy speer could not put it all together and survive in modern day mma. I think the same would have happened to hughes if he came in to mma today instead of when he did. The skill set in mma has just gotten that much better and people like him are a thing of the past.

Theres no more room for the Matt Hughes generation. The torch has been passed. GSP, Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, Rampage Jackson, Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, Fedor ... these are guys that can do it all. They can bang on their feet they can take it to the ground any where you want to t ake it they can bring the fight to you. This is the new generation of MMA this is the peak of mma that we are looking at.

There is no room for the dinosaurs of old. Matt Hughes needed to start adapting and flow with the current but instead he decided to stand still. Because of that its going to sweep him away. The best example of this is Ken and Frank Shamrock. Frank kept evolving his gamem and adding boxing to his skillsets so not only did he have some great grappeling but he also had some good striking skills to compliment it. He also went ahead and took his conditioning to the next level and continued to learn. Because of that he can still compete and hang with the new generation of fighters.

Ken on the other hand stood still didnt change up his game much and approached things the same way he had always done and because of this he is a washed up has been. Matt Hughes is going the way of Ken Shamrock and GSP is his tito

6. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

Matt hughes? Who?

j/k

Much respect to him for all he's done, but I really want Thiago to fuck his day up, then I want him to double tko with Matt Serra.

7. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

:bowdown:

please no rematch with GSP though

8. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I wrote Hughes off long ago.

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i can see him losing this next fight,,,maybe but a fight vs serra :rofl: hughes would tear serra apart

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

wishful thinking

11. friedrice

friedrice New Member

I bet he does just fine, you see him lose to GSP (like everyone does) and all of a sudden he is a shit fighter. Feeble fans

12. Etherized

Etherized Active Member