master degrees in computer science.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Jun 20, 2005.

1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

how important are they? what are some benefits (except getting a raise?)

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

one would obtain a MS if he/she would want to go into management. I really don't think it does a bit of good if you just want to be a developer. Might not even get you a raise. As it is, people w/out even a BS make as much as I do. It just depends on the job, your experience, or your connections.

3. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

isnt a management job better than just sitting and coding in a cubicle all day

4. SLED

depends on what you want to do in life. I'd much rather write code than deal with other people's problems. And if you're contract, or making any decent money with what you do, then you might almost make what management does anyways. Unless you are a CIO/CTO or something like that.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Better off with an MBA if he wants to go into management. I imagine the main use of a MS in CS is as a stepping stone to a PhD, or for jobs at places that are heavy into research, like Google.

6. SLED

very true. Think i'd rather be a business owner than take 8 yrs of school for a phd in CS. That's just me though

7. samm

samm Next in Line

Benefits:

1) working with professors on cutting edge research that is often years ahead of industry
    2) publishing papers, becoming well known in your field of speciality
    3) Teaching, if that's something you want to do

Drawbacks:

1) shitty pay
    2) more classes
    3) writing a thesis

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

At my school (and others) they offer a course-based masters and a thesis-based masters. You still have to do a fair bit of writing and such for the course-based, but not as much as a thesis.

A masters is good to have if you want to work for a research company rather than a regular software company.

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

If you think you could just hop into a managment position with a masters degree and no managment experience. You're wrong, very wrong. Managment in computer science divisions usually have years of experience in project managment and even MORE experience in programming. You can surely expect to be a grunt for the next 5 years of your life (after school, so for you... what, 9 years?) if you want a good project managment position.

It's not an easy job either. It's the most stressful job out of any other task in a programming division would have.

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You hit it correctly. People with an MBA or MIS degree have better chances of getting into managment.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you graduate, and you still have no drive to do your own thing, or no exciting opportunities... then consider the security of academia.

12. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

As of now, the only way I'd do a Masters is if a company sponcered me to do so, and gave me the according time off needed to complete it successfully, (part time even).

13. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

I had some students come to one of my college class and talk about this very subject a while back.

Basically the general concensous was that it open doors but closed some too. It helped for research and higher level positions but actually hurt them for simpler professions.

Why would a company want a simply a proggrammer with a masters. They would have to pay them more for something that a BS could do. This becomes even more apparent with how over satuarted the market is becoming.

Cliffs, if you want a masters to make more money simply programming don't do it.

14. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Uh, if you have no drive to do your own thing there's no fucking way you'll finish a graduate degree.

15. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Or just mingle through college and not know SHIT when you graduate. I know a few of them from the school I went to. The one I'm particuarly thinking of is now working as a loan officer 'cause he couldn't get any jobs. :mamoru:

16. Capa

Capa New Member

It's not about your gpa when your done with a IT degree its about what do you know and what can do right away......and your always gonna be gonig to college basically with IT because things are always changing you can never say well i'm done learning and just work...you will always be learning stuff on the side maybe not full blown college but maybe one class here and one class there......but from what I hear anything more than a bachlors doesnt really matter to much unless your going into teaching lol....then you would make more.....

17. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Well, yes, and no. I agree that GPA doesn't matter much. Infact, I don't think college matters much... what matters is that peice of paper you receive when you have enough credits to qualify for your degree. However, I disagree how a person is always going to be going to college. That's absurd. All because technology changes and you always need to learn new shit doesn't mean that you have to take a college class everytime an application is updated. :wtf: If you're in the industry, you adapt to new software and hardware. You get off your lazy ass and you read documentation for once in your life. You actually get the urge to impliment some of that common sense and use google. After a degree I think it would be wise to start looking for some certifications to get certified in and start studyhing on you own. Going to college is just going to be more money down the drain.

It really depends on the degree. A masters or a PhD DOES matter in some specific fields. A student needs to have a specific strength that they carry with them through college, because if you do not, at the end of college you're going to quickly realize that you only know the basics of a bunch of shit. And if you're one of those students who just mingle their way through college, borrowing homework assignments from class mates because you failed to do your own work, or if you're one of those students who cheat during tests... you're really going to have a very hard time after college and you will quickly find yourself working at the place you were before you started college.

18. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

so masters is only good for going to a managment position?

19. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:uh:

Do you not read anything?