Massive problems after Windows reinstallation...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Funky Munky, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Funky Munky

Funky Munky Chronic Masturbator OT Supporter

So on Sunday night I plugged my hard drive back into my PC (I gave it to a friend to copy stuff) anyway when I reconnected it I started up Windows fine but it had weird little errors on the display like this....

[​IMG]

So I reinstalled my ATI drivers and then when I rebooted it said "Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt" so I then got a Windows XP setup CD off a friend and reinstalled Windows on my machine. My entire hard drive was intact upon reinstallation however I am now using a different profile (Admin) and I cannot log into my old profile (Geoffrey Fleming) also even though my old programs and games are in C:\Program Files only very few work. Most bring up various errors some pertaining to my graphics card (I think it has seriously taken a dump and I need a new one) while others are just general errors. Is there a way to revert back to my old profile and settings so I don't need to uninstall and reinstall everything? To my knowledge there were only 2 user accounts before the new XP installation (Administrator and Geoffrey Fleming) but now there are numerous ones.

[​IMG]

User Accounts in Control Panel offers nothing but add/delete/edit nothing about merging or setting defaults. I have even tried to log into my old profile but it brings up an error.

Can ANYONE shed ANY light on this massive problem?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Sounds like your profile is corrupt. If you rename your Geoffrey Fleming folder to Geoffrey Fleming.xxx and re-log into your account, it will rebuild your profile. You can copy the files you need back over from the corrupt profile, but it may be tough unless you know what files are corrupt.

As for the video problems, it looks like it's time for a new card.