massive computer problems...need the help of OT

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by time_line, Jan 23, 2007.

1. time_line

time_line New Member

This is a copy of the email I sent to tech support. Cliffs: basically I blue screen a ton and get many errors in windows. Fatal errors/disconnects in warcraft 3/wow. .net framework does not install, etc. I have tried formatting 4 times, virus scanning, registry scanning, chkdsking, anything I could think of. I'd like to also mention that on every format, I will bluescreen a few timse and take at least 10 tries to even get to the Windows GUI. Upon getting in, I will get a fatal error that I will take at least 5 tries to fix. If any of you can help me or can point out what is the cause of all these issues, please let me know.

---EMAIL---

After searching the internet and trying many fixes and even talking to your tech support, I have finally exhausted all my options. I bought my computer at the beginning of my freshman year of college. Besides not being able to change my mouse cursor, the computer was fine for the first year and a half. A year and a half later, I would bluescreen every now and then when playing games - no big deal, I thought. 2 and a half years later, this is what started happening: (Keep in mind I have only been updating my drivers and have not made any other changes, I even get these errors AFTER I format)

-started randomly blue screening, particularly in WoW. 2 months later, started disconnecting from warcraft III games(this was not a connection issue, tested on two connections and shared connection - no one else dced)-- clearly computer problem. Computer would also make very annoying BEEPING noises that would not stop(I assume from the motherboard). This noise sounded like an alarm and was a huge nuisance.

-after happening for a few months, decided to reformat. used cyberpower disk and floppy. i'd like to mention here that the cyberpower reformat gave me tons of trouble, i bluescreened a few times in dos and when i finally entered windows setup, it gave me the 'signature is invalid/product catalog fatal error' - which meant i needed to go find another solution. i finally reformatted to Windows XP Sp1, but could not update microsoft .net framework to 2.0, directx 9.0c or update to service pack 2 via windows update.

-after being unable to find a solution, decided to dl windows xp x64 and give it a shot. although i finally had direct x 9.0c, i started getting fatal errors in games and began blue screening much more frequently - maybe 6 times or more in one boot. i also get low virtual memory errors -- which in turn totally eliminates all the text on my screen. these blue screens and other errors make it difficult for me to even continue.

- under my 3 year warranty, i would like cyberpower to restore my computer to factory settings - WITH Windows XP SP2. I am tired of all the trouble and would really like to see what you guys can do to help. I am looking forward to buying my next computer from you guys, so I'd like to see how your customer service is.

Please give me a number to call and I will call you as soon as I can, I can give you the windows xp cd key you have taped to my case or any other information.

one more thing: my friend used to work under your tech support and from what i hear...it's not too good. please prove him wrong.

Thank You,
    Eric

---END---

Once again, if you have any idea what the problem might be(hd, mobo, etc.) please let me know. I have a hunch that it's the HD but I'm not ready to drop two hundred on something I'm not sure about.

THanks

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

No way anyone can help you without looking at it in person.

3. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I was having SERIOUS issues with spontaneous reboot and blue screens and it ended up being bad ram. YMMV.

also: you can get a hard drive for about $60 or so, if you're convinced that's the problem. hell, find one of the local computer stores and buy a 20GB used drive for $10-20 and try it.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

First of all, if it's still under warranty then that's your best bet.

If it's anywhere near the end of the warranty period, you might need to
    pester them to make sure they take care of it.

Secondly, with the computer being that old, it could be practically anything.

Do you have more than one stick of ram in there?

If so, try taking out one at a time to see if it makes a difference.

5. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

I didn't read your whole post, but post the BSOD information (*** STOP code, driver at fault, etc.).

If possible, go to your system properties, advanced tab, and click on the startup and recovery settings button. Uncheck automatically restart (if it isn't already), and choose small memory dump (%SystemRoot%\Minidump). The next time your computer BSODs, upload the latest crash dump (start->run->"%SystemRoot%\Minidump").

Also in the meanwhile, run http://www.memtest86.com/ and the hard drive diagnostics tool from your hard drive manufacturer's website.

6. butler

butler I need an adult!

Sounds like a hardware failure. Post specs?

7. Create

Create :free at last:

Do this.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I second the memory error, though it's possible there's a single dead circuit in your CPU and it's generating incorrect output that's causing your computer to crash.