Martial Arts...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Guld, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

What are people doing these days? I did TKD awhile ago, but it's kind of bullshit :hsugh:

2. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

ninjitsu is teh new hotness

3. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Glock-Fu

I'm from the streets, G-g-g-g-g-g-g-unit!

4. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

:ugh2:

5. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

your Glock Fu may be strong....but it is no match for my RexKwonDo

6. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

I knew this would happen, should have just posted it in offtopic:o

7. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

i thought this was a joke :dunno:

muay thai, bjj, sambo, judo, krav maga, jkd, silat, wing chun, and the list goes on.....I'd say that the most popular stuff these days is the submission wrestling...more tournaments and teams turning up everyday

8. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

well I'm not really looking for one that is popular, just one that people says works because TKD is only good for flexibility and not really any fighting

9. KingLouis

KingLouis Al Capone with a badge

tkd is a art moreso than anything. Not very practical in a real fight.

When it comes to martial arts, ie. appreciating it as an art moreso than for its practicality, it's what you like. Can't really bag any of the martial arts out - they all have their "audiences".

10. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

well I see them as an art, but TKD has like no practical content at all, I'm just looking for something to do that also has applicational content

11. KingLouis

Krav Maga and CQC are practical - used by various of the world's military and special forces. Also Wing Chun has been argued to be practical - not sure myself.

12. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

Wing Chun eh, ok new question, what do you think is the most practical traditional martial art?

13. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

probably wu shu. it's quite deadly. :eek3:

14. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

bjj, or sambo

15. KingLouis

From what I know, Wing Chun and Aikido have been argued to be very practical.

16. KingLouis

I thought Wu Shu was a performance kung fu style? :dunno:

17. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Trust me, dancing moves can kill :noes:

18. Grouch

Grouch Guest

6 years of Kenpo and 2 of Escrima

19. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Combat Sambo is quiet deadly,...

I take points from multiple MA's and combine them to form my own technique.

20. Sylva

Sylva New Member

I currently train in muay thai, and Bjj...

21. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

progressive Jeet Kune Do is the most realistic i have come across...they teach eye gouging, biting, submission grappling, multiple opponents (which is usually 5 guys beating the shit out of you so you dont htink you are superman and try to take on more than one person unless you have too), etc.

22. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

wing chun, while simplified, has some very nasty flaws in it's system. They teach you to punch from the shoulder and very few schools use ANY hip drive/rotation to generate power, so their punching, while fast, ends up being pretty limp wristed. The footwork is generally considered sub par as well, much too linear and inflexible. Their close quarter trapping can be somewhat useful, and a few of their blocking techniques are good, but most are of the mythical "interrup their punch with your attack" variety that just don't work.

Aikido can be used in a practical situation by very few of Aikidoka. the techniques are far too complicated and are trained with too much compliance from the partner. It's cool if you're a chi hippie or want to achieve personal enlightenment but for self defense, not so hot.

The style I train currently is Progressive Tang Soo Do, which was originally a mixed style of Karate and Kung Fu. In the 70's the 'progressive' aspect was added and now it's much like MMA or jeet kune do in that it incorporates techniques and theories from a LOT of different systems, basicly eliminate what doesn't work from your training and add things that fill the gaps. Our style is based in Karate, but we use Boxing handwork and evasion, uses some strikes and standing grappling (chin na) from Kung Fu, as well as some striking and defense from Muay Thai, draw our Groundfighting from Brazillian Jiu Jitsu (the instructor is ranked under Phil Cardella, a Relson Gracie brown belt), and we also train for Self Defense using methodology from Tony Blauer's SPEAR self defense system. I enjoy this system a lot, I have 10 years of kung fu experience and I feel like I'm always learning new and useful stuff in my new school.
    Unfortunately you'll be hard pressed to find a Tang Soo Do school anywhere else that teaches like this, most TSD places are Krotty McDojo's.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  23. KingLouis

Aye I agree with you there about Wing Chun. My friend argues that its a superior self defence system than most other systems. I find it extremely immobile and the sheer speed and shock of CQC and/or Krav Maga makes them much more versatile in neutralising opponent(s). The thing with Wing Chun is having the nerve to stay still and in a stance. A lot of individuals when threatened need to keep light on their feet to shake off "coldfeet", even if it means walking around. A newbie Wing Chun individual will find it hard to prevent coldfeet let alone shake off the nerves of being in true combat especially when their life is on the line.

As for Aikido, I'm not 100% on it, so I'll take your word on it.

I've had some experience with Krav Maga, and I can vouch for its usefulness in its ability to deal with chokes, grabs, multiple opponents, defence when knocked down, throws, edged weapons, large clubbing weapons. The more advanced training teaches one to disarm hostiles with firearms. CQC trains these as well and I wish to try it out but I can't seem to find any in Sydney :wtc:.

I personally prefer the practicality of a self-defence and fail to appreciate the art and expression of martial arts. I do like kung fu movies though :)

24. Maestro Nobones

Yeah, the thing about W/Ving Ch/Tsun is that most people who practice it are total nutriders. They accept every word their sifu says as undisputed fact and think "oh well I'm the shit because I do VT" While some of them practice hard and fight hard, most don't. And the "Antigrapple" mentality that most have is absurd.

25. Maestro Nobones

And dude seriously, thinking that you should train gun disarms is going to get you shot someday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.