GUN Martial arts

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by D-FENS, Dec 7, 2004.

1. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I've been considering taking some sort of fighting classes (Karate, Ju Jitsu, etc.), and there's a place opening up near me offering Tae Kwon Do(sp). What is the general consensus on the "best" fighting style?

Edit: I am interested in this to learn how to fight for my life. Not just as something fun to do.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

If you are serious about defense take something that has a resisting opponent.

In my experience the best fighting styles that are widely taught are boxing/Thai boxing and Ju Jitsu.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

please, if you're serious about an actualy FIGHTING art, not a sport, or a show-art that's taught with the intention of developing you for competitions where they award points, then there are a number of good ones out there. if you just want something fun to do, then TKD will work fine.

i've been taking a mixture of arts, but with a focus in jeet kune do. it gets its punches from the wing chun system, and the kicks are heavily influenced by the thai boxing styles. the main question you have to ask yourself is what is the purpose of the class?

are you wanting to train with the intent of learning how to fight for your life, or just for fun?

4. footratfunkface

unless they're close-in on you. kicking and punching don't do shit on the ground or in an upright trapping-distance fight. one of my goals on a kickboxer would be to get inside the kicks and work up close.

5. tofuthecourageous

tofuthecourageous OT Supporter

hmmm kung fu

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Um, no.

7. spartan

spartan Guest

I have studied a variety of martial arts over the years (Jung Sim Do, Kempo/Kenpo, Hoshin Jitsu Ryu, American Karate, a little Ju Jitsu, some Aikido, some Circle Point Defense). The yhings that I have learned about picking an art from these studies:

1. Find something that works for you. Take a variety of classes and see what you like, the way they move, the way you feel when you are going through traning. You can train most people a martial art, but it helps if you like the feel of it from the beginning since you are more likely to stay with it.

2. Find something efficient. As others have said, if you are fighting for your life, nothing flashy is going to get you anywhere except hurt.

3. Learn how to grapple/ground fight. The Soke of Hoshin Jitsu Ryu had a saying "He might have a license to fly, but I have a license to drive." This was in regards to some other martial artists doing a lot of aerial manuevers at an expo.

To him, ground fighting was extremely important because you limit your oponnents weapons and options once you take someone to the ground. All the throws in the world need some place to throw you and on the ground, that is reduced. A lot of the kicks and punches you will throw while standing are reduced and so is their effectiveness.

As some of the others have said, I do not like to play at range. It if I need to take a few kicks or punches to get in close, I will, because once I get in close, I can eliminate most of the threat.

Or, as another man used to say "I don't play at range. I play in my opponents underwear."

8. footratfunkface

yeah, any time you're tying up your hands by trapping or locking your opponent, you're tying up your means of defense from that opponent, or his friends. my worry is not the one-on-one fight, but the fight where i'm getting my ass beat by one guy and his 4 friends. i've seen those fights. the one guy is never happy at the end.

9. tumultuous tumor

tumultuous tumor Single and loooooooooooonely.