MMA martial arts vs boxing

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by theronald, Apr 24, 2007.

1. theronald

theronald New Member

if you put bruce lee againt say mayweahter of mosely and bruce lee could only use hands who would win.i guess what im asking is how good are a martial artist skills with just hands? how about matt hughs verses hopkins or lidell verses tarver?i cant figure that there is a mma champion out there whose boxing skills are on the par with a boxing champion.am i wrong?i'd like to here you guys opinions.

2. DKKD

DKKD New Member

bruce vs floyd mma match...bruce by gnp +submission

why did i reply to this?

3. Sammo

Sammo New Member

None of those guys have good enough hands to be on par with the top boxers, it's just how it is.

4. Sammo

Sammo New Member

It says Bruce can only use hands, I assume he also means no takedowns/submissions.

5. theronald

theronald New Member

bruce was supposed to be ggod with his hands,he had that 1'' punch.i was wondering if that was bullshit.I watched a video and it kinda looked like push.

6. Sammo

Sammo New Member

The one inch punch wasn't bullshit, but Bruce almost certainly would not be able to box with Mayweather.

Bruce also probably won't be able to beat the top FW and LW fighters, but his philosophies still remain relevant.

7. theronald

theronald New Member

so tell me if im on the right track here.if you got a pro boxer say hopkins and thought him mma he would be a lot better than if you got say matt hughs and thought him to box.do you get what im trying to say?

8. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I think actually if you took an top MMA guy he would at least be able to hang with the boxer for a bit in boxing, but a top boxer would be destroyed by a good MMA guy very fast in MMA.

Matt Hughes is actually one of the few exceptions to this probably, he's terrible at boxing.

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

boxer vs mma at boxing = jesus are you serious,,,,,
    boxer vs mma at mma = seriously why do threads like this exist

seriously, uh Ali Vs Gracie at boxing = duh
    Ali Vs Gracie at MMA = duh

insert pro boxer name here vs insert pro mma name here at boxing = duh
    insert pro boxer name here vs insert pro mma name here at mma = come on

that's about as clear as i can make my opinion with my limited vocabulary and low intelligence

10. Optamix

Optamix New Member

He would smash Bruce.

If you want to learn how to punch, ask a profesional puncher. Don't ask a guy that thinks Wing Chung is the end all of fighting.

11. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

the one inch punch is nothing impressive if you understand the mechanics behind it. When you punch properly you are barely using any arm streghnth you are getting the power from your legs hips and back so the distance of your arms is irrelevant. Ive done a no inch punch before. If you know how to punch properly and put your fist on some ones chest and then do the mechanics the same way the end result should still be the same.

As for bruce lee I was never that impressed with him. He telegraphed , ALOT

back to the arguement at hand. there are alot of mma fighters out there that could keep up with boxers. Didnt vitor belfort train with the brazilian olympic team and lidelle and rampage have good stand up.

12. OnionPeel

OnionPeel New Member

It's very difficult to say an mma fighter vs. a pro boxer.

Each mma fighter has their own strengths and weaknesses. aleksander and mirko could stand w/ a lot of pro boxers at boxing. bring them to the mma world and its not going to be much different because they both will prefer to stand.

And who knows how good some pro boxers are at take down defense. Some of them may ACTUALLY be able to keep a wrestler from taking them down.

But now a days the majority of mma fighters are very well rounded and are great at standing/grappling.

13. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

bottom line: take someone who is an expert in one aspect of fighting, take them out of their element and into someone else's element, and they will most likely get destroyed

14. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

Boxing is a Western Martial Art :fawk:

15. Kuet

Kuet New Member

jesus,is threadstarter pereza's alternate ego??

16. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

that depends who you talk to because alot of the technique from boxing bled over from the asian styles

17. stevo92

stevo92 Active Member

I did both boxing and MMA(which had boxing in it)And the big difference between the both of them was with boxing we did more handwork on the bags and footwork....and in MMA we did more defencive style stuff and ground fighting which is a big plus..but between an MMA fighter and a boxer in a no rules kind of fight the MMA fighter would most likely win because once he brought the boxer to the ground it would be all over( if he was able to get a sweep in which would be easier to bring one down)

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah i mean look at ufc one their was some guy i think he was a US champion under some venu and he went in there and lost his fight because he got taken down or even look at it when you fight a striker that has kicking power. i mean that video with muay thai vs boxing was posted on here and the boxer got worked

19. stevo92

stevo92 Active Member

good point i forgot to mention kicking which i only did in situations that would mean the difference between winning and losing or if i saw an open opportunity....i prefer to use my hands when fighting(spinning back hands can be deadly lol)

20. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i think a boxer who can just sprawl like a mother fucker would be a force to recon with. they don't have the hinderance of their gigantic gloves to punch with and be defended by which means alot more KOs imo.

tehre is no one "best" art, you have to combine them, hence mma.

21. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Your wrong. Its tae Kwon do. The answer we are looking for is tae kwon do.

22. stevo92

stevo92 Active Member

What about Tae Kwon do..IMO I personaly do not like Tae Kwon Do just because its almost all kicking(besides from some arm locks and etc)

23. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

look at kit cope, he was a good Thai fighter and got pwns by kenflo :o

24. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

western boxing is the best style for hands-only striking... because that's what it is... a culmination of techniques put together over hundreds of years for hands-only striking.

most traditional martial arts have less advanced hand-striking because kicks, knees, and elbows are involved, and therefore hands play less of a role and also you can't really fight the same way in a MT match for example as you could in a boxing match... because you gotta look out for kicks etc.

25. Optamix

Optamix New Member

i was just kidding.

i wasted 7 years of my life on that crap.

I wish I could have been doing bjj instead.