Martial arts training

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by tobagator, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobagator

tobagator But see drugs and plastic thugs, ain't gon change

All the training logs I have seen so far have been centered around BB and PLing. Does anyone have a training log that focuses on a striking martial art?
    I know alot of people on here train for BJJ, but I am thinking it uses the muscles differently for that.

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

look in the cage....

3. tobagator

cage doesn't have training logs.

4. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I do the modified Bill Star routine that's been posted on here 10000 times. I lift Monday/Wednesday/Friday and train BJJ Tuesday/Saturday.

5. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

How long have you been training BJJ? Sustained any injuries specifically from that yet?

6. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

7. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

8. tobagator

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

People who train for BJJ are too busy rolling to lift weights. Many still do, my point is that rolling is great conditioning and weights aren't essential to making you a good grappler.

As far as striking, just do whatever weight lifting you like best, because chances are it won't make a huge difference. A normal dude can throw a punch hard enough to cause a lot of pain to an opponent, IF they use proper form. Benching 305 or having 20" guns won't make you a great thai boxer.... training on a bag, focus mitts, and sparring is most important, especially sparring if you want to be truly effective.

10. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

11. Ricey McRicerton

Been doing it just over a year. I may try to test for my blue in the coming months, but who knows. I'm not real worried about a new belt.

I'm always pretty bruised up, but other than that and broken blood vessels in my shoulders/arms, no. I haven't had anything pop up from BJJ that's sidelined me for more than a day or two.

12. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Thanks. Considering taking it up. While I'm pretty confident in striking, my grappling sucks. And just found a club walking distance from home.

13. Ricey McRicerton

One thing I will say, is go, find somebody you feel comfortable rolling with that's close to your size, and enjoy it. You're going to get tapped a lot for the first 6 months. It'll go from getting tapped out a bunch of times every session to where you just kind of stalemate each other, to where you can finally get some submissions. At just over a year in I'm finally starting to get some good submissions and getting really comfortable. I wrestled in highschool and it built a good base to start on, but it's really worlds different. Just relax, go with the flow, remember to try and transition moves together (pick up 3-4 sweeps/passes/submissions from the guys with more expeirence and just try to work those all one after the other) and have a good time. Rolling with more experienced guys can be great for a few things. They'll stop you mid rolling session and show you what you did wrong and how to fix it, and they'll also try to show you moves that they like.

Our schools two teachers are twins about 155 lbs. These guys are terrors and since we have a smaller school, are more than happy to show you before class "these are the ones I like" type stuff. I've learned more from those 5 minute things and rolling with my friends who show me things than the actual instructional part of class.

http://www.bjjnc.com/Home_Page.html

I really haven't met anyone in the bjj community who I disliked. They're a good group of guys and anyone who's there just to hurt people seems to dissapear pretty quickly. If you're there and you're being rough with people, there will always be somebody bigger and more experienced to be rough with you back and make a fool out of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.