MIL Married life vs single life in the military?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xSteveO, May 6, 2008.

1. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

Air Force is the first on my list, but also considering the navy and coast guard. I've been with my girlfriend for about 2.5 years now and basically live together. We get along great and definitely could see me spending the rest of my life with her. We're both concerned about being away from each other for that long, from what I read it could be up to 3 years to get off the base. I was considering tying the knot before I enlist, but now she's concerned about school if she was sent away from FL (she currently has a 75% scholarship). So from what I understand I will have to live in the dorms thoughout basic (6 weeks) and then we will get our own house on base, if available, if not we will get a BAH allowance to live off base. Will my base pay also increase? I'm going to have a hard time paying my bills on E-1 pay. I currently pay $1100 in bills, this is not including food and gas. I'd just like to get a few things cleared up, any additional information would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  2. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

In basic and tech school you will not live together, at your first duty station you will be able to right away if you are married, if not it may take some time.

3. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

wtf are dorms? what is this, revenge of the nerds?

4. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

My suggestion would be for her to stay put and finish school. If you have a solid relationship then the time apart will not change things. She would have to get used to it anyways if she is going to be a military spouse.

You shouldn't be in a rush to get married, you both should view this as an opportunity to strengthen your relationship. Additionally you both should see how well you each due with separation and whether being a military spouse is the right fit for her.

5. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Relationships are a whole different world in the military.

You and your SO will be put to the test more so than you probably ever imagined.

6. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

thats the truth.

7. shiba

shiba Active Member

wait until you are settled in the military before you get married.

8. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

sound advice aswell..

9. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

$1100/month in bills before coming in? Already starting off on the wrong foot...

10. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Depending on the length of the tech school you could live off base with your spouse. Married life in the military is FTW. Being married in basic training will rope in the big bucks if you're from the right city. We were in Houston and between my BAH and family sep during basic we were making as much as my training instructor. The Air Force is as great as the military is going to get for quality of life. Education opportunities are everywhere. Do it.

11. Nixstress

My suggestion differs from yours for the following reasons...

The guy is considering backruptcy with how heavy in debt he is. Getting married to rope in the "big bucks" should not be the way to go. As far as education opportunities for spouses, his girlfriend has a scholarship that pays 75% of her tuition in Florida. She should definitely stay there and finish her degree first.

12. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

there is more to it than that. This whole thing isn't about me just making more money being married, it's also about having my girlfriend with me. I can't even imagine being 3-4 years without her, things wouldn't be the same anymore. It's about having her and finances certainly wouldn't hurt either.

My debts are the reason for me not joining immediately because the base pay won't cover all of my bills. I've been TRYING to resolve this issue for years now but hardly making any progress.

13. whitecouch

She can stay there and finish her degree while he goes off into the wild blue yonder. The BAH and family sep will help out while he's in tech school and basic, might even get him ahead given the lack of expenses during those first few months. If he picked one of the few remaining career fields with bonuses he'd be that much better off.:ugh:

14. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

you're on the right page, but is there really any benefit of her staying FL to finish her degree? I am trying to find out any information about what she gets out of it and from what I understand is that she gets free education too, but this could definitely be just some BS I read. I am looking into a medical field, firefighter, or aircraft mechanics

15. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

I already respended in the other thread.. your gf could get 100% of school paid for aslong as you get married and her parents have not clamed her on their taxes.. aslong as you are in tech school yall will recive BAH in whatever city you live in.. once you get your orders to your first base then you will recive your BAH for the base you are at insted of your home town.

You have ALOT of debt. you could pick a job with a bonus.. that could help pay it down.. or the creditors might lower your % while you are at basic.. which helps a little.

Deployments are a fact of the military and in todays military its not so bad with the communication. Depending on where you are at you might be able to call and email daily.

Its really up you and the GF as to what you want to do. It is up to the GF if she wants to get married and live the military lifestyle. Also its up to her if she wants to stay put or move around..

16. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

credit card debt?
    check out the soldiers and sailors act. drops all intrest (prior to enlistment) to 6%. check it out:hsd:

17. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

very true, but if she is the "one" then there is no sweat.

I have to say my bf and I have had tough times, but we get through them, it all depends on your love, honesty, and trust of the other person is what will get you through.

18. Nixstress

I'd love to have some information on this if you have it.

Edit: I did a quick search on the Air Force Aid Society and noticed their Grant program, allowing those eligible to apply for $2000 per academic year. This is in addition to the Spouse Tuition Assistance Program that provides 50% assistance toward unpaid tuition, with a maximum of $1500 for the academic year. There's also the possibility of applying for a Federal Pell Grant, but even adding in the average amount awarded to the other to programs it still wouldn't cover the cost of 1 year's tuition for a fulltime student. That being said, it's too bad the Army doesn't have a Grant Program for spouse tuition like the Air Force.

If I've missed something, please let me know. I'd love any additionaly information about Tuition Assistance.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  19. Nixstress

Obviously this could happen. My opinion obviously differs from yours. I don't know how old they are, but I've seen more than my share of young couples rushing off and getting married because one joins the military and they don't want to be apart.

20. luke2o9

luke2o9 New Member

I've seen it too, and I'd say 90% of the time it fails within 2 years.

21. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

In for fail.

22. whitecouch

We got married at 19 about a year before I joined. It's not a death sentence for a marriage.

23. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

maybe not but statistics def arent on your side...id say they are pretty close to getting pardoned from death row though :noes:

24. armond

armond New Member

Oh ya? I have one credit card, but dropping it to 6% would be nice. :bowdown:

I just looked it up on google, for reference:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/sscra/a/sscra_2.htm

in the middle of the page

25. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

The Spouse Tuition Assistance Program is only good if your wife accompanies you to an overseas location.

http://www.afas.org/Education/body_stapelig.cfm