Married 1 month - pets?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by JBunni, Dec 4, 2009.

1. JBunni

JBunni New Member

Well, technically 4 weeks, but its cool. I dont know if anyone cares about an update but oh well. Worse thing that has happened was the other night he was very restless in his sleep and was kneeing me in the back and elbowing me in the face. But other than that, its been fun.

We are starting to think about getting a pet. The only problem is, I have allergies. They are mild; I lived with a cat for over 10 years, I just couldnt cuddle with him. So we are trying to figure out a solution. We'd prefer a cat over a dog, but "hypoallergenic" cats are expensive, and we would rather adopt than buy from a breeder. The problem with dogs is we want to be good pet parents, but we are not sure we'll have the time to properly take care of a dog. Anyone with pets have suggestions?

2. peoplescar

peoplescar Guest

taking care of a dog is not easy. You need to make sure that you have time for the dog, if you don't then it will be a negative experience. if you don't have the time a cat is the way to go. they just need food and water.

3. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

I recommend poodle/maltese mixes for people with dander allergies, but I don't think that you should get a dog if you don't have the time to properly care for it.

4. teep

teep New Member

[y]2p0qYV5RnM0[/y]

5. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Don't get a pet unless you have the time to take care of it.

6. JBunni

JBunni New Member

Our friends have some yorkie/maltisse pups they are going to be giving away soon, thats one reason we were looking at a dog, possibly.

I take pet ownership very seriously, and absolutely would not want to adopt a life I couldnt take care of. I just wonder how we may re-arrange our schedule or life so that a dog may fit well.

7. Jacy

Jacy red lipstick brigade

it's the poodle mixes that are good for allergy-sufferers

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

1. Do not get a dog
    2. Find a short-haired cat at the humane society

Are you opposed to allergy shots of necessary?

9. JBunni

JBunni New Member

My mom's cat is a domestic short hair tabby, and if I got too close the itching would begin.

I'm not opposed to allergy shots, but we dont exactly have the money for them now (I assume, I havent looked into it)

10. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Don't even start to think about it :nono:

A dog is a massive responsibility and you guys have no money as it is. Dogs cost money. Shit, pets cost money too but cats are a hell of a lot easier to maintain.

11. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

if you are already broke, you can't afford a dog.

Scour craigslist for someone giving away a hypoallergenic cat till you get lucky.

12. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

You just got married, don't get a pet yet. You've got enough stuff to adjust to right now; give it 6 mohths and then revisit the idea again.

13. D7

D7 OT Supporter

I have cat allergies. My last roomies had 2 cats and I didn't have a problem with them because cleaned the house frequently. They also had hard wood floors and I didn't sleep with the kitties so I think those factors helped a lot. If I lived in a house with carpet again I definitely would not want a cat there.

Have you considered something furry that lives in a cage?

14. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Skip the dog. They require a lot of time and attention. Enjoy your marraige. Be able to go out on a Friday night after work and not stay home playing parents. Give it a couple of years. Such a common mistake amongst young married couples. Either your marriage and social life gets hurt or the dog spends his days and nights alone.

Skip it for now.

15. JBunni

JBunni New Member

I know, I feel this is right. Thats what I wanted to do originally. I guess I just miss having a pet around. I live with 'my mom's cat' for years, and now it just feels a little empty. I am leaning on the waiting side tho.

Not really, I'm pretty sure the apartment complex actually has rules against ferrets and bunnys, or almost anything that isnt a small dog, cat, or fish.

16. D7

D7 OT Supporter

I was thinking hamster or rat? rats are bad ass :cool:

17. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

Hamsters are easy to get away with and hide. They really don't make much noise if any at all.

18. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

I recommend you do NOT get anything with 4 legs or wings. Period.

Reasons:
    1. Allergies. You have allergies but do not currently have the $$ for allergy shots. There is NO DOG IN THE WORLD that is Hypo Allergenic. There are breeds that are recommended for people with allergies, but some with severe allergies (much like you describe) still react to them.
    2. You are worried about the time consumption of a pet. Rightly so. It takes a lot of time to "deal" with a pet - specifically a dog - properly. If you live in an apartment, you must make sure you are walking the dog an appropriate amount of times. If not, the consequences can be severe and wide-ranging.
    3. You're married a month. Take time to enjoy things with each other. Right now isn't the best time to be worried about getting home to walk the dog, now is the time to be going to that amazing concert with friends, or a night on the town with your Spouse. A pet, even a cat, is much like having a small child in a lot of aspects.
    4. Pets are usually "stepping stones" to children. A lot of married couples decide that if they can handle a pet (usually a dog) then after a few years they could be able to handle children. I don't necessarily agree w/this, however, I agree that having a dog is a lot like having a child.
    5. Pets are expensive. If you can't afford allergy shots, what will you do if there's an accident and your dog or cat required antibiotics, or surgery? There yearly physical exam and vaccinations alone can cost a pretty penny. Not to mention if you get a small breed (Terriers are notorious for this) and they have a food allergy (most commonly being grains) and can't eat the "cheap" foods? My dog's food costs me over $10 for a 5lbs bag because she has to have a grain-free food. It cost me HUNDREDS of dollars in testing to figure out what's wrong with her (and because it wasn't really life-threatening yet, it wasn't a matter of "well let's just put her down". There's lots of reasons why you wouldn't just put a dog down instead of spending money to figure out their issue and fix them). My dog also broke her leg in an accident in our home and it cost me $1k in surgery to fix the broken bone - and that was through my small-town vet WITH a Military AND Multi-pet discount!!

So like I said, I don't think you're ready for a pet.

19. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

Badkat, though all your points are right they wouldn't apply at all if you got a hamster. They are really low maintenance pets and can be so fun. Also, with a hamster you could literally leave it by itself for a week and it'll be fine.

20. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

To a hamster, no, I was speaking specifically about a dog or cat.

But most people don't consider hamster for themselves. They seem like "kid" pets (which, btw, they are NOT!!! Those fuckers bite kids all the time and then they end up either being neglected to death or in a rescue/animal shelter because mom and dad freak over their kid getting bit). But the TS doesn't seem interested in a pet like that.

Besides, it does take time working with a hamster or rat to keep them tame. Like, daily work (my BFF has had hamsters for YEARS and I've had rats). Same with a snake or turtle. The only truly low-maintenance pet is a fish.

21. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

Well, you said a pet with four legs and hamsters have four legs :hsugh:. You only really have to put alot of time into socializing a hamster at the beginning after that it's not that big of a deal, my hamster doesn't require daily work to keep him tame. Maybe my experience is different from your bff's but I think you're making it out into a bigger deal than it is :dunno:

22. JBunni

JBunni New Member

Eh, i've had a few hamsters before. In my opinion, they always smell, and they make noise at night, and if they ever get out they run away and hide for days at a time and I get too scared to sit on the couch cuz it might be in there, or I have watch every step I make. Eh, I'm not into hamsters.

Where did it sound like severe allergies?

The vet bills are another something I am trying to take into consideration. Its not really something we can afford, i just wonder how much is nessisary. I know pups need a certain amount of shots, but yearly physicals for a pet seems excessive to me.

23. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

Well, aside form something small you really shouldn't get a pet. There can be alot of unexpected expenses which can really rack up in no time. You guys have just started living with together and it would probably be best to get used to it before throwing extra stress into the mix.

24. BadKat

BadKat GIVE ME WINE!!

Don't get a pet then. Period. Ever.

Yearly exams ARE essential to your pets health. These are living, breathing beings that are entittled to a minimal level of care. A YEARLY exam is the bare minimum. What are you going to do when your dog gets old and requires medication and frequent visits to the vet? Put them down because you think it's "unnecessary"?? Fuck that. If you don't have the decency to take your pet to the vet at least once a year to make sure there's no underlying problems, DO NOT GET A PET! PERIOD.

Sorry, but I have little love for people who view their pets as nothing more the disposable property. These animals feel pain, they feel love, they feel fear. They crave attention and like everything else in the world, they get sick.

Do YOU not go to the doctor yearly, even if you feel fine?? I know as a woman I certainly do. So are you saying that despite all my tests coming back normal, my pap smears coming back fine, there's no reason for ME to go to the doctor yearly? SAME CONCEPT!

25. JBunni

JBunni New Member

I agree that animals are feel pain, love, and fear. And if I ever did adopt a pet it would be to give it as good a life as possible. I want to make sure I do have the time, energy, and desire to take care of it. I dont want it to ever feel neglected, or pain. However, I do not believe this means yearly vet visits. No, I do not go to the doctor yearly. I go when I need to, and that is it. I dont see why its different for a dog or cat or any animal?