MMA Mark Hunt interview of Atomic Butt-like proportions

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by whup, Jun 30, 2008.

1. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

[​IMG]

My Cliff's need Cliff's, but you can kiss my ass:

• Mark wants to fight MMA, not K-1
    • He didn't want to fight K-1 and was unprepared to face Schilt, feeling he got "set up", but he took the fight to help K-1 get a TV deal, and it was part of his DREAM MMA contract
    • K-1 is now less money than MMA and he won't go back to K-1, especially as he's already walked the road and won the title.
    • He wants a rematch with Fedor in DREAM and believes he will beat him now, and that this is pretty much a "done deal"
    • DREAM wanted him to fight Aleks but Mark turned it down for short notice, but hinted he would have taken it if given enough money
    • Believes Mirko is a good fighter and good kicker, but has nothing on Hunt
    • Gonzaga met him in Vegas and asked him how to beat Mirko. Hunt told him to intimidate and put the pressure on to unsettle Crocop. We know how that ended. Hunt said he'd apply the same aggressive approach and beat Mirko if they ever meet again (which is very possible in DREAM).
    • Other potential fights in DREAM is an MMA fight with Schilt. He says he'll beat Schilt up real bad in MMA.
    • Mark also remarks that someone special might fall out of the sky and be a potential match for him. No idea what he could mean here; almost like he's trying to keep a potential big-name opponent secret. Could be anything from Couture to Le Banner in MMA as pure speculation and name-dropping (or noone specific at all).
    • The UFC promised him "everything under the sun" after the PRIDE buy-out; he was promised fights but his contract came to nothing. He's pissed off because he wasted his momentum and a length of his career when he wanted to be fighting the best. If the UFC made a lucrative offer, he would still potentially sign with them.
    • It looks like Hunt had been acquiring rights to PRIDE Oceania so that he could presumably promote shows in the Oceania region (Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands). This would be to help find talent in these regions and give them a shot like he had. Another pity about PRIDE's collapse. However he still wants to do something like this in the future.
    • Mark's contract allows him to fight in America or Japan
    • He's open to a fight with Kimbo, and that it would be big bucks and a good spectacle. He would look to knock Kimbo out.
    • He says one reason the UFC might not have wanted him was because he was fat
    • Mentioned that the UFC offered him 6 figures for a fight, but it wasn't near what he was getting in PRIDE, so I think the manager turned them down or told them to up the offer. This wasn't very clear in the article.
    • Mark Hunt will bust out the legendary Atomic Butt Drop again because he will do everything possible to win
    • He has changed his diet and conditioning to help him improve in MMA, which is more difficult than just plain stand-up
    • Says that while he's trying to improve his physique, he's just a big islander, but also jokingly hints that half the problem is that he doesn't do steroids
    • Training the ground game hard and is more comfortable with submissions, but still of course is more comfortable with striking
    • Says it's up to Ray Sefo to retire from K-1 if he wishes. Remarks that Badr Hari is the future of K-1, and that Hari v Schilt should be set up, but that Hari really needs to put on some more muscle to be dominant in K-1.
    • Says he doesn't get mobbed like Sefo in Japan and he prefers it that way, and he likes his anonymity back home in New Zealand.
    • He often makes mention of doing anything as long as the money's there. He clarifies this, backing up the rumour that he's a soldier of fortune, believing that fighters are putting themselves physically at risk and need to be properly monetarily compensated in return.

The full article:

Mercenary mixed martial arts (M-MMA) is the term applicable for Mark Hunt and he means business like a hired gun. Clint Eastwood in “For a few dollars more” aint got nothing on him as he spoke exclusively to www.roguemag.com and spoke of a possible re-match with Fedor Emelianeko!

Hunt caught up with ROGUE for an exclusive one on one, when on a short visit in Auckland- New Zealand. Mark who became a father just eight weeks before was visiting family and invited us over for lunch and a candid yet explosive interview. The usually quiet and media shy Hunt, took time out to speak at length with roguemag.com and Tamati Tiananga of Maori television.

After suffering a first round loss in his challenge of K1 champion Semmy Schilt in Yokohama, it’s back to Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) for Hunt and is revelling in the idea of fighting some of the world’s most wanted fighters which include Fedor.

The stocky and well rounded Samoan looks to have planned his next and probably last phase of an illustrious fight career, focussing solely on Mixed Martial Arts and looking at trimming down to become faster and more agile.

FEG (Fight Entertainment Group) and DREAM whose ratings were at an appalling low after their last show have done the right thing by pitting Japan’s favourite “under-dog” with the big boys. Few weeks ago as Mirko Crocop headlined the primetime broadcast and then a no contest fiasco with the lightweights meant doom and gloom.

This means the cat has been sent into a cage full of pigeons. The interest this man generates could rise to tsunami like tide if he shares a cage with Kimbo Slice. Since Slice made it to ESPN magazine cover page, Hunt will get that same slice if he is the man to knock out Kimbo.

Who knows, let’s wait and see but for the moment read on to find out….

Q. Hello Mark and thanks for talking with www.roguemag.com and how has training been so far?
    A. No worries, It’s been good and I need a bit more time to sort my self out and I will be fully ready- but yeah it’s going ok, just in Auckland to see family and relax a bit before it’s back to business.

Q. So how was the Semmy Schilt fight, and did things go as planned and were you happy with it all?
    A. No I wasn’t and frankly it was real bad. It felt like i got set up. I didn’t want to fight K1 and stand up because I hadn’t done it for ages. My preparation was very short and when I got kicked in the leg, which I hadn’t been for so long- it was getting hit by a baseball bat… Not that I am trying to make an excuse but It’s hard to not fight K1 for so long and jump in the ring with K1’s best, just like that. I am pissed off about the loss…

Interruption: So you didn’t do the gym work…
    A. No I did my general conditioning stuff and all the cardio, I felt good there but taking shots like that, I wasn’t use to and too much all of a sudden. The body wasn’t use to the bashing. Plus Semmy has feet like flippers! I needed more time and the only reason I took the fight is because K1 wanted their ratings up and secure a new TV deal plus it was a requirement for my MMA deal with DREAM. So yeah…

Interruption: So the body wasn’t used to taking the trauma and that sort of conditioning…
    A. Yeah man that’s it. I hadn’t taken anything like that for a long while. I got set up and lost. Can’t cry now… on with it I guess…

Q. So tell us about the MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) deal with DREAM?
    A. Now that the K1 thing is out of the way it’s all good baby: all MMA and MMA only. These guys (DREAM) want me to fight Aleksander (Emelianeko) in about three weeks time on May 11th! I was like no way because it’s too short a time with no training. I don’t want risk fighting like that. But if they compensate me enough for taking that risk then it’s all good and I’ll fight. The money has to be right. DREAM plan was to see how Fedor (Emelianeko) goes and when and if he wins the DREAM title, and then I will fight him[/b].

Q. So re-match Fedor is a done deal?
    A. Yeah, from what they tell me it’s a done deal and we have to wait and see how he goes and then I will know when and where for how much. I want to fight Fedor and I want to beat him.

Q. You think you can beat Fedor and if so how you going to do it?
    A. Yeah I can beat him and I know I will beat him. He’s pretty good but everyone is beatable. I need to get some solid work in and have planned for that. First time I fought him my wrestling wasn’t great- actually it pretty sh*t but I did alright with him. This time I will be ready, when it happens I will beat him.

Q. How and which way you reckon?
    A. To be honest it won’t matter and how I am not sure, probably hurt him enough so I win. He’s a great fighter but I know I can beat him…

Q. What about Mirko Cro-cop? He is the marquee signing for DREAM isn’t he?
    A. Mirko- he’s a good kicker and great fighter but he ain’t got nothing on me: tell you something Boa, you remember Gonzaga who KO’d him with a high kick? I met him in Vegas and he was a cool guy. He asked me “how can I beat Cro-cop?”- I told him don’t stress and try to scare him almost, follow him and put the pressure on him not letting him settle. See what happened, Gonzaga wasted him. If I fight Cro-cop it will be the same. I want to do the same and I’ll force the pace with him, push forward and beat him. He is very good if you let him settle down to his game- don’t.

Q. Any other “names” you could be fighting?
    A. Probably fight Semmy Schilt again but in MMA. I want that fight and I know I can do way better and win. It will probably be in Japan and should be a good fight for a decent pay day. Few more fighters could be added, who knows someone special could fall out of the sky and then I can fight whoever. I don’t care whoever it is, I’ll fight King Kong if I have to, always try to fight the best- fight the champion and be the champion. That is my goal. Try and achieve it soon.

Q. How about you in the UFC? What’s the likelihood of that happening?
    A. I don’t know, not sure about that or them… they wasted my time after the whole Pride buy out promising everything under the sun and when that turned to crap, I waited for all that time and my contract came to nothing. However if the dollars are right then it’s fight time…

Q. What do you mean by waiting for all that time after the Pride take over?
    A. Once Pride was bought over, as someone on the Pride team I was promised all these fights and etc. which never happened. So it wasted a good chunk of my career and I was inactive. I could have done so much and fought good in that time. They owe me for that, I should have and could have very easily fought the top guys but that little episode didn’t allow me to. I am a man of my word and I was messed around. See I said I will meet you for an interview and I did, even when I was real busy with family stuff. So UFC should have kept good on their word- It’s a real shame but that’s the fight game.

Q. So you are more than likely to do something about it and add another “headache” to their already growing headaches?
    A. I don’t know: nah- I haven’t even thought of that, right now it’s fighting. It’s a case of working these big boys and billionaires to look at whatever. I got mucked around and my career could have been much better off if not for that. It also put an end to the Pride Oceania patch for which I was hoping to acquire rights and conduct shows. It was something I wanted to do so other people who want to get a chance like I did, would be found and be given a chance to fight. That was the end of that. So yeah I should look at doing something about it, but worry about that later I guess. I will let you know first… He He He….

Q. What are your present contractual obligations and what will see from Mark Hunt, action wise?
    A. My manager Mike (Cornette) is good and my contract allows me to fight anywhere in America, It is not exclusive to Japan. So it doesn’t have to be UFC: there is more to America than them. I mean they are good and my mate Brad Morris fought last week on their card. There are other shows which are possibilities. Remember Boa when you asked me about Kimbo (Slice) last time, he’s alright and a fight with him will mean big bucks. I am open to that and I will beat him if I have to. Kimbo and my self on the right card will generate lots of interest. He has a good street style and I know a thing or two about that style. So it will be a good fight and cost quite a bit too. It’s all good entertainment …

Q. You think you would knock him out?
    A. I don’t know; have to fight him to find out. I would like to and I probably should. Don’t know so I guess we will have to find out when we fight. He’s a good fighter from what I have seen and he’s only started in MMA- so way to early make any kind of predictions if you know what I mean. I saw the cartoon fight where he hit me with a baseball bat and I knock him out, that’s all funny but if the fight does happen I will want to finish him and win well. So if you can make it happen and the money is right, why not?

Q. So any shows in America, open to negotiation?
    A. Absolutely bro, I mean if the dollars are right I will fight. It doesn’t have to be UFC. I think one reason they didn’t want me is because I am too fat. Once upon a time they offered me ***,***$ to fight on a show when I was getting way more on Pride. So it was not enough, well that’s what my manger said. I was in good form but maybe the weight issue stopped them and of course the money. America is a good option and I will beat whoever I have to.

Q. How long do you think you will fight for?
    A. As least as possible. I know what I want and when I fight I will do what I have to. Probably have a good couple of seasons with DREAM and win the titles and then see how it goes, but like I said as least as possible. I want to spend time with family and all that.

Q. Will we see the “Atomic Butt Drop” in action?
    A. What? Oh yeah well you know what I will do whatever it takes and what I want. I will splash someone if I have to. It’s easy and effective. Yeah you will.

Q. Lots of fans worldwide want to know of your training methods and in particular why you don’t get lean- is there any reason as such?
    A. I have actually made training more intense and suited for MMA, because it so much harder than just K1 or stand up- I guess the main reason is I don’t take steroids (He He He), nah just that I am a big islander I guess and the way I am. My body can handle the punishment and I can give it back so it doesn’t matter.

Interruption: Is it the diet….maybe something different you can do?
    A. Yeah I eat KFC, nah just kidding. My diet has changed and I keep it straight and clean. I guess this regime I am doing will make me a lot leaner but let’s see- like I said I am a big islander, what can I say…anything different I have done, um- well coloured my toes so I don’t have smelly feet when I am constantly training or rolling with people at training for MMA.

Q. It’s been a while since you have fought MMA, many critics argue that you are not the fighter you used to be and there could be some ring rust. What are your thoughts on that?
    A. I always look at staying sharp and train for MMA with lot of strikes and throws. Just getting caught up in one style isn’t good. Fedor is the classic example. He is well rounded and good in every aspect. I feel my best when I am training for big strikes and a good striking game. It feels better and easier to adapt to. Also these last few months I have been working on lot of submissions and I am confident with that part of my game. So I think if I best someone up with enough strikes I can sink in a good submission and that’s very possible. Things change over time Boa and I have accepted that and prepared for it. When I fight everyone will see. Last time I fought who most say is the best in the game I didn’t do that great. When I fight again I know I can do a hell of a lot better and I will!

Q. Last K-1 Ray (Sefo) lost to Badir Hari, what are your thoughts on Ray as most critics think he should retire?
    A. Ray’s a great fighter and so is Badir. He is the new master class. Real good and fast, you know what Boa I think he (Hari) is the only guy who can beat Schilt at present in K1. If I get Semmy in MMA I will beat up real bad. Hari is great and he has the goods. Maybe K1 should set that fight up, but with Ray I think it’s up to him and he will do what is right I guess. Apart from that I can’t tell what will happen- his call end of the day. Look at me; I have lost my last three fights, so should I retire? So it’s up to the individual and that’s the fight game, ups and downs.

Q. So do you rate Hari?
    A. He’s a great fighter and he probably needs to put on a bit more muscle to really dominate in the future. I met him a few times and he is one nice guy, real good guy…

Interruption: Maybe he was scared of you or something…Is he the whack job some people make him out to be?
    A. I don’t think so, he aint scared. He’s a nice guy and he has a bright future in K1. People like his style and he is good to watch. Hari aint no whack job, he’s young and watch out for him to be the guy to beat Semmy one day. Sooner than later!

Q. Any more getting into K1 or stand up action?
    A. To be honest my ball game is MMA- that’s what I can do best. I don’t want to do K1, just that last fight which was a pain in the butt, but I had to do it. Now that it’s over that’s the last of that. Unless the money is right I won’t. Just last week I was talking with Mo (Mighty) and talking things. The boys like to keep tabs and watch out for each other. The money in K1 isn’t good and that’s a result of the TV deals and ratings. MMA is far better and I like it. That’s me bro, I have won the K1 ones before and that’s a hard road to walk. MMA is harder and the money is better.

Q. Alexei Ignashov- what do you think of him and his chances are against Semmy, as he is in Auckland, training under Lollo Heimuli?
    A. Ignashov was good, haven’t seen him for a while. I hear he’s put on weight. Hope he does well, because against Semmy he better be good. Else like me after checking his low kick twice the leg won’t be able to handle it. I don’t know: he hasn’t fought for a while so when he does we will find out.

Q. Do you get mobbed in Japan like Ray does?
    A. Nah, I am not like that. Ray is a movie star and where he goes the people follow. I don’t like that, just want to be like anyone else. That’s the good thing about New Zealand. We are sitting here and no one knows. So it’s all good- quite prefer it like that.

Q. ROGUE coined you on the term “Soldier of Fortune”- you took some flack on internet forums for that, your thoughts?
    A. Yeah I get that a bit. That’s the way it is and honestly not too many people in this game do it for love. I am honest and up front about it. It’s the way it is. Fighting professionally is good and always, I think of the money and do it. It’s something you could get hurt doing so you need to be compensated for it. Look at how promoters and big companies like K1 make money off fighters and give the fans entertainment. So it’s the way it is and yeah I am a mercenary as you called it, “Soldier of Fortune”: you hit that sh*t on the money baby, love your wok!

Q. Thanks! Just finally do you read much of www.roguemag.com?
    A. Yeah always man, when I hit the net: some good stuff and what you write is the truth and fact, so it’s all good: ROGUE is No.1 baby! I like the style too, it’s cool stuff. Thanks for the interview, always a pleasure. Plus those Hoodies you made and designed were the best, love them- awesome stuff!

Link

2. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

When's the video's available (if it ever is) I will post, but I haven't seen it anywhere.

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Ive always been a fan of him ever since his early K1 days if he has a half decent ground game I think he is a threat to any HW around including Fedor.

4. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Hunt :bowdown:

I'll never forget the reverse roundhouse that almost took out Crocop. :hs:

5. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

He says one reason the UFC might not have wanted him was because he was fat

:rofl: and Big Tim's physique was GSPesque?

6. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Great read thanks.

7. roose

roose Guest

Hunt is so cool.

8. KRUSTYTHECLOWN

KRUSTYTHECLOWN OT Supporter

I love Hunt. He's able to take anyone's best shots and keeps coming at you. :bowdown:

9. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

Hunt is a killer and can take the best HW standup fighters in MMA. If he can keep it standing, tighten up his ground defense and make weight limit, he will def. be a force in the HW division and contender to the title wherever org he choses to go.

10. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

i dunno i feel like if fedor and hunt were ever to fight, and it got to the ground, hunt would try a kimura and it would be weak and fedor would win by armbar....

hardly matches up well.

11. SubOptimal

SubOptimal New Member

Did you not see him fight Fedor? He did a great job of getting out of Fedors locked armbar and turned around and nearly submitted Fedor with a Kimura before getting submitted himself by a Kimura in the end. He was doing a great job against the at the time, #1 ranked HW and P4P best fighter in the world.

12. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

I really hope that Hunt goes for Dream--the guy could take a belt there with just Crocop in the way. :o

13. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

He did fight Fedor the rest is correct though.

14. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I like Mark Hunt because he has huge heart and always puts on a good show.

15. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. SubOptimal

SubOptimal New Member

What the fuck are you laughing at? From your other post you didn't even see the fight. :ugh:

17. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Fedor's nuts, remove them from your mouth.

18. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I'm a huge Fedor fan, he's my favorite fighter, but even I know the guy can lose and that was a fight he came close to losing. It's so true about Cro Cop and putting pressure on him, I've been saying that since his fight with Fedor. Most MT or kickboxers have a problem with pressure, hell even some guys with good hands do too. I don't think that was such a mind blowing secret, although I really like Hunt and I'm glad he's coming back.

19. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

didnt fedor say after that fight he underestimated hunt and went easy on that armbar attempt which let hunt escape?

big hunt fan here and looking forward to finally seeing him fight again (not counting his k1 loss)