MMA Mark Cuban hires Guy Mezger :eek3:

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by EG6, Sep 5, 2007.

1. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/

In a new article at CBSSports.com, my boss and editor, Denny Burkholder, is reporting that Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is indeed serious about expanding his holdings in MMA. Cuban informed Burkholder that his first hire is none other than former UFC champion Guy Mezger.

Cuban has hired MMA veteran Guy Mezger to run the day-to-day operations of his MMA project, and will rely on Mezger to handle tasks such as talent evaluation.

“We have already started,” Cuban said. “Our first hire was Guy Mezger, who will be responsible for managing fight cards, attracting and signing fighters.”

Mezger runs the Lions Den affiliate in Dallas, TX and has served as a commentator and matchmaker for several MMA organizations. His reputation in the industry is impeccable.

In addition to working with Mezger, it appears that Ed Fishman, formerly of Pride, could be involved somehow as well:

In White Chocolate’s press release, they indicated that former Pride Fighting Championships USA president Ed Fishman was present for the recent meetings with Cuban and Mezger. Fishman was the driving force behind Pride FC’s pay-per-view events held in Las Vegas in 2006 and early 2007, in the days before the company was sold to UFC parent company Zuffa LLC.

Go to www.CBSSports.com for the full article

Shit he was serious :eek3:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

He has the $$ to make it happen if he can get Air time in the USA and Japan I think it could do well.

3. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

:werd:

Good to see that he's still active in MMA. They need to do a Mezger/Ortiz 3 :x:

4. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I hate to say it, but I think it's too little too late from Cuban. He's attacking a pretty well saturated market, and finding good fighters not already locked into contracts is going to be tough. Best of luck to him though.

5. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

wonder what he can do...money can buy a lot

6. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

that it can

7. IS300_TRD

IS300_TRD Active Member

I meet Guy in the locker rooms at Art of War3. Cool dude.

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

this is why Dana should not have let a lot of top level talent go just because they didnt have "star power"

Guy Mezger is nothing, but if someone like Cuban decides to just buy up all of the top tier talent that the UFC doesnt want to pick up, we could be right back into the same situation as UFC vs Pride, but "Pride" this time around would have a stronger business model and more legitimate business connections.

9. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

I hope Cuban shuts down UFC. I really dislike Dana.