MIL Marines: What's your thoughts on a 3-year Sgt?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Insdav3, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I think it's BS, especially in the reserve world who haven't even deployed. I'm not trying to hate, but how the hell could you know what a SGT is supposed to know not only in their job, but the structure of the corps and providing assistance to different problems that arrive and how to take care of it? I'm not even going to go into POG ncos (yes i said it)
    /rant

2. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

i have have seen quiet a few 3 year sgts, in the army, but marines fuck no.

3. nitak

nitak New Member

theres a 3yr sgt that i work with. Some people call him a book leader. pretty much just studied military knowledge to get his rank. but isn't necessarily a good leader.

4. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

happening more and more ... i would have been a 3 yr Sgt had I not been NJP'ed ... but unlike most Marines ... I had been leading people before I joined the Marines so this leading shit is natural to me .. I hate to follow ... even when I play WoW I have to be leader to mark shit and tell people what to do...

but yeah ... I dont hate at all ... but I laugh at a lot of the recently promoted NCO's who have no backbone or cojones whatsoever and cant lead worth a shit ... they will get Marines killed in combat which is where that shit matters.

5. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

3 years in a good unit will make good NCO's. I treat it just like officers. If they know their shit and are solid then they get my respect. If your a shitbag then I will look at you like a shitbag (but still respect the rank) There is no reason to be a hater about how long it took to get rank. I have years of experience and more time in than most of my e-6's but i still will follow the 21 year old e-5 if he has his shit together.

6. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I have seen one I think.

I agree with you though.

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

WoW ..... wow... :bowrofl:

8. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

E-5 in 3? Try the Coast Guard, I know someone who made E-6 in just under 3.

9. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

i apply my leadership skills in ever aspect of my life, :rofl:

i love it

10. pakman

pakman New Member

I got my E-5 3 years out of AIT, but was nearing my 5 year mark by then. Split option and DEP :rofl:

11. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

We have a 1 1/2 yr Sgt :p

12. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

i made it in just under 3...Our cutting scores dropped so low, that you would have to be a complete shit bag not to get promoted. There is another guy in my shop who is Sgt right after his 2 year mark.

To answer the question, I shouldn't have gotten promoted as early as I did. Hell I was only a Cpl for 9 months, never even got to go to cpl's course, and now I'm a Sgt with half the knowledge of other sgts that I'm trying desparetly to catch up on. Now I'm about to get out, but I remember when I first came in almost 4 years ago, that it was pretty normal to get out as a LCpl or Cpl and you were fucking shit hot if you got out as a sgt

13. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

:ugh:

14. BLACK00Z28

BLACK00Z28 New Member

Seen a few. I knew a Gunny that picked up GySgt in 7 years. Less than six months later he became a WO.

15. ArmyDoc

ArmyDoc New Member

I am trying to get my e-5 and I have just been in my MOS 2 years, 4 in service, changed MOS' s after 18 month tour in Iraq. I have seen many good leaders after 3 years, and if you want to make CSM (like my grandpa did) you need to be a good leader and get your promotions as fast as you can...personally I dropped to the reserves so I coul finish my college degrees and become an officer.

16. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

our last plt sgt was 2.5 year sgt. lcpl out of boot, cpl after school, meritorious sgt while in iraq. yay?

17. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

lots of lower ranking people are fit to judge with more experience, know-how, respectable traits, time in, deployments, etc rather than someone with an MOS whose cutting score is low as fuck and does a couple MCIs and picks up who is a complete shitbag of a Marine and a person.

18. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Too bad their opinion doesn't amount to a mound of dirt. At least with dirt you can put it in a sandbag.

19. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

We had a female Sgt. instructor in MOS school who had been enlisted for a whole 13 months, never been in the fleet either. Don't know why or how, but that's how it was.

My guess is that she wore out several pairs of knee pads.

20. Patch

Patch New Member

Damn, 3 years? I gotta be in 30 months before I'm considered a trained private, and 3 years before I'm even eligible for corporal's. If you make Sgt in the CF in 10 years you are doing pretty decent.

21. NPH

NPH Guest

I know one who was a friend of mine. We went to MOS school together as privates and fast-forward to three years later.. I'm a Cpl and he's a Sgt thanks to two meritorious boards he went on. Yeah, I'm gonna fucking hate god dammit! He shouldn't have gotten Sgt that fucking quick, no fucking way he's Sgt material. Lucky motherfucker that's all I gotta say.

I also think it's fucking bullshit how some MOS's promote these young fucks to NCO's. I swear I've ran into Sgt's who look like they just got out of high school. I'm a late joiner myself, so that's my fault but at the same time I'm supposed to take some of these fuckers serious because their MOS decides to have the lowest cutting scores out there?

Some of these guys are NOT Sgt material as well. To me a Sgt needs to have plenty of experience under their belt, regardless of MOS. They need to have a shitload of PME knocked out and know wtf they are talking about.

This is part of the reason why they bumped the requirements for Warrant Officer program. It used to be all you needed to be was a Sgt, now you gotta have that plus 8 years of service.

22. Jbeanz

Jbeanz OT Supporter

I had a female in my old unit i worked with , meritorious every rank , 13 month corporal. I'm aircraft maintenace so on this side of the house no matter your rank , if you dont know the job you arnt shit. Ive seen alot of Sgt's or SSgt's working for a Cpl or LCpl. But anyway i dont think you should make Sgt in under 3 years it just screws shit up.

23. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

CF ranks are totally different.

24. Virtualmikey

Virtualmikey OT Supporter

(Marines)
    Left Basic in May of 98 as PFC, LCpl That fall at MOS School, Deployed in 99, Deployed in 2000, Corporal Fall in 2000 (I busted my balls for this. High PFT, High Rifle, MCI's up the ass), Corporal's course in spring of 01 up in Pendleton.

Go figure that when the cutting scores came out right after Sep 11th, our MOS froze and reinlistment bonus multiples went to 0. I moved on. I was busting my ass to go up for a Mer. Sergeant board, but let's face it, money talks and bullshit walks. I got out and went in to engineering.

25. Patch

Patch New Member

I know, but still :hs:

3 years is kinda insane